Author Topic: Which should I get? New to watches  (Read 14351 times)

Offline theseira

Re: Which should I get? New to watches
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 09:26:24 AM »
Someone just mentioned this a little while back. I'ver personally never seen it in the flesh, but I plan to check it out.

Tudor Style: http://www.tudorwatch.com/en/tudor-style/#/style-specs/

These two looks awesome! I'd check them out too.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Yeah, these look great and come in a few good sizes so you'll never feel left out. Supposedly dropped in Jan 2015, so I guess they should be in stores by now. Btw, RRP is close to OP's budget from what I've read online.

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »
Wait. To TS, I did recomend Hamilton in my thread on page 1. But true, not a lot of love here.

Agreed with the Tudor Style, very handsome
2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »

I prefer something more simple and minimal, thus having picked those 3. I did come across Omega Seamaster Professional, but didn't really have the oomph for it. Maybe it's time to pay the store a visit and try them on!

Don't really want to up the budget for a rollie at the moment. Will get that for my second watch.
Will try to look around and see if there's any good 2nd hand Omega that tickles my fancy.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Seems like there's not many Tag fans here  :-X

Nothing wrong with owning a tag....most of the ppl here started their watch collecting journey with tag anyway.... Tag does offer a lot of appealing nice collection.... In fact, i still have a few of tag and coincidentally wearing one today.... But i'd agree with others on tag's resale value....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 04:44:54 PM »
Actually Tag is not amateur watch brand at all, look at the calibre 18, its hardly cheap but I think it worth the money. I actually love it alot..
2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline nikfs1881

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 05:14:31 PM »

Actually Tag is not amateur watch brand at all, look at the calibre 18, its hardly cheap but I think it worth the money. I actually love it alot..

Indeed but most WIS always has the stigma of "shy away from tag please".....

Calibre 18 is based from sellita 300 i think.... Calibre 36 based from zenith el primero and of course tag has a few of its own movement but the price bracket is pretty steep!

Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline Everdying

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 06:20:15 PM »

most WIS also has the stigma of 'having a rolex'  ;D

Offline nikfs1881

Which should I get? New to watches
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »

WIS could argue owning a rolex is part of the journey before they decided to disband the rolex and move to patek or AP.... Lol....

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:39:55 PM by nikfs1881 »

Offline roystock

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »

I am one of the "most WIS"
For me, I always Rolex (though I was actively trying to avoid it when I first started, but Rolex is that good)
 and for me, no Tag (I started with Ball, Steinhart, almost got a ML and I like Hamilton and Oris)
 :)

Offline Everdying

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2015, 07:00:47 PM »
it all depends on the reasons for wanting.
those that want it just cos "its a rolex", well they're probably in the same category as those who want a tag just cos "its a tag".

of cos there are some who are in it due to some emotional attachment, but then again not many of us have grand-dads or great grand-dads who have rolexes etc...

in the end, just buy what u like.

and as jeremy clarkson once said 'the only thing in the world worse than a fake rolex is a real one"  ;D

Offline nikfs1881

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2015, 07:15:51 PM »
Couldnt agree more roystock and everdying!

Offline keithk

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 06:12:32 AM »
Firstly I don't think OP can get a Rolex within his budget.

Secondly I would stay away from Tag.

I would consider topping up and get Omega Speedmaster Professional. Reason:

1) One of the classic most iconic pieces out there, has cult following and lots of interesting stuff about it
2) Manual wind
3) Chronograph!
4) easy to shift
5) Close to your budget

Compare with the tag, In my opinion regarding Tag:

1) hard to shift - you need to buy at huge discount otherwise u may lose a lot of funds
2) nothing about it is better than the SMP in my view

Yep am planning to get a 2nd hand one in the case of the Tag.
Have many recommendation for the SMP. Looks like it's a serious contender  ;D Will start the hunt and see if it appeals to me. Thanks!

Offline keithk

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 06:14:34 AM »
for simple looking watches you can get the Ball Fireman Racer series or the new for 2014 "Marvelight" which is really a DJ2 homage if you ask me  ;D

personally, the Ball Fireman Classic 42mm is the most reliable and accurate watch in my collection as it is accurate to the minute even after 6 months of daily wear (the longest i have worn before rotating to other watches).

The Marvelight does look good!

Offline keithk

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 06:17:46 AM »
I do agree with most where "I want to get a Tag for my first watch just because it is a Tag" (or Omega, just that it is slightly more pricey). Am thinking maybe I should go for a Hamilton / cheaper range and save up for the 2nd watch.

Btw, when purchasing a 2nd hand watch (with or without cert), where should I go to make sure it is authentic before buying it?

Offline Devilzzz44

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 06:54:02 AM »
send the watch to local AD or even some of the reputable watch shop u know for an authenticity check before the deal, for me pre owned watch with or without cert is just a personal preference some ppl may be very particular on that but not for me though..like wise most of the sifus here say...buy the seller not the watch. :thumbsup:

I do agree with most where "I want to get a Tag for my first watch just because it is a Tag" (or Omega, just that it is slightly more pricey). Am thinking maybe I should go for a Hamilton / cheaper range and save up for the 2nd watch.

Btw, when purchasing a 2nd hand watch (with or without cert), where should I go to make sure it is authentic before buying it?

Offline keithk

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2015, 05:47:30 AM »
send the watch to local AD or even some of the reputable watch shop u know for an authenticity check before the deal, for me pre owned watch with or without cert is just a personal preference some ppl may be very particular on that but not for me though..like wise most of the sifus here say...buy the seller not the watch. :thumbsup:

Got it, thanks!

Offline arcsaber7

• Freshie
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2015, 09:21:55 AM »

Check it out in Pavillion for watch exhibition from today till 9th August. Participating brands as per attached including Tag, Maurice Lacroix, Tudor and etc. Good to pay a visit and get more info before you commit

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2015, 10:29:12 AM »
Tudors have got my attention ever since they came out with the Pelagos and Black Bay. They have recently come out with very interesting designs and are moving in the right direction. Instead of being the "little brother" to Rolex, Tudor has started to gain it's own cult and followers. Do check out the new Ranger series. I know that it may be a little out of your budget, but for around 9K, I do think that it is bang for buck for the quality and workmanship.

Good luck and have fun chasing that watch of yours. This is the best part of the journey. Please do share with us what you procure eventually and of course also share with us the thrill of the chase...

Patrick

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »
Just checked out the Tudor Style at an AD over lunch. At first, he didn't recognize them name; only when I showed him a picture did it click. Anyway, they don't have it in leather, and I was told most only will carry the steel ones. It was only a short while ago, but I can't recall the exact price -- believe it is about RM7k.

In person and on bracelet, the watch is a little underwhelming. Does not look anywhere near as nice as in pics. Believe it will be much, much better on leather.

Offline theseira

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2015, 02:45:54 PM »
Just checked out the Tudor Style at an AD over lunch. At first, he didn't recognize them name; only when I showed him a picture did it click. Anyway, they don't have it in leather, and I was told most only will carry the steel ones. It was only a short while ago, but I can't recall the exact price -- believe it is about RM7k.

In person and on bracelet, the watch is a little underwhelming. Does not look anywhere near as nice as in pics. Believe it will be much, much better on leather.

That's a shame I thought it would look better than pics.

Speaking of tudor have you guys seen tudor heritage black bay for only watch auction. Man its the ultimate modern tudor!

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2015, 04:07:43 PM »

Yes indeed!
If only its regular production.

Offline nikfs1881

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »

Yes indeed!
If only its regular production.

A true beauty!

Offline artyca

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2015, 01:28:10 PM »
Too bad that's a unique piece. They should make it a regular production model since it's painstakingly beautiful...

Offline arsene

• Freshie
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
I got a preowned omega SMP ceramic.. No regret!

Offline keithk

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2015, 09:25:45 AM »
I got a preowned omega SMP ceramic.. No regret!

Hey Arsene,

Where did you get it from? How much did you pay for it, mind me asking?  ;D