Author Topic: Why a man with many luxury watches doesnt wear one any more... by Timothy Tiah  (Read 14367 times)

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
Hi all,

I read this at facebook and thought to share it here for to see is your view and opinion on this..

TLDR the author of the article Timothy, have this view on why a man with many luxury watches doesnt wear one any more....

http://www.timothytiah.com/2015/07/20/why-a-man-with-many-luxury-watches-doesnt-wear-one-any-more/

I came into the world of luxury watches only in my second or third year of working. I had just earned my first small sum of money and was looking for something to spoil myself with. My friends at the time were all big on watches and told me I had to get one. They say a watch is the only accessory a man can buy (we don’t carry hand bags).

So what watch can I buy? I was recommended a Tag Heuer. A Tag I was told is like the BMW 3 series of luxury watches. It’s the entry level. It’s not the Maserati or the Porsche but it’s a nice watch. I went shopping and forked out about RM6,000 for my first Tag (after some discounts).

After the Tag, I heard of even more watches. The Rolex was the obvious one that stood out. Now every watch has a message that the wearer sends out right? So I asked of what message a Rolex sent and the common reply I got was “I’ve made it”. So when you wear a Rolex, you’re saying “I’ve made it”.

Out of interest I started doing research on a lot of different watches. Rolex was nowhere close to the top. In the range of the Rolex there was Panerai, Hublot and many other similar watches that you can get for RM20-40K.

Above that there is the Audemars Piguet that go for RM40,000 to as high as the hundreds of thousands. Above that there is the Richard Mille that starts at RM300,000 (for a watch… I know). And above that there are many many many more watch brands I had never heard of before and never bothered to get familiar with because I often can’t even pronounce their names.

These luxury watches look absolutely beautiful and I can understand why people who want to have them just to have them. They’re a great piece of art and it takes a lot of work to make some of them. But there is a little more to that.

What does your watch say about you?

A watch tells people who you are and what you stand for but “success” doesn’t necessarily have to be the only message you send out. I heard this story of a judge in Singapore who always wore this cheap Casio watch. The message he sent out was

It’s just that somehow with the media portraying success as a very important thing, we all rally around trying to portray success by the things we carry. Guys do it with watches and cars. Women do it with bags and bling.

My father is a successful man in his mid-sixties who has spent the past 40 years of his life working to earn money. In his lifetime I’ve seen him buy and wear a wide range of luxury watches probably to send the same message that many of us young people long to send today. That we’re successful or we’ve made it. For my wedding present he gave me one of his old watches, something I keep with me and only wear on very special occasions. It’s a watch I will likely pass down to my son one day.

In our recent conversations he told me that he wanted to buy a new watch. I was thinking maybe an AP, Patek or something like that? But he said no. He wanted a SEIKO.

I was a little taken aback. Why would you want to buy a SEIKO when you have many other nicer watches to wear and his reply was “Why? It’s a nice watch”.

I then realize how clouded we sometimes get from all the advertising or branding that we get hit with. We often buy things because of the brand and fail to see that when something is nice… it is nice. Regardless of the label it carries.

So for his birthday present, my siblings and I went out to buy him a nice SEIKO. It cost RM1,580 after discount.

As I was buying the watch I remembered the things that my father told me about luxury watches from someone who has had many. He doesn’t want to wear them any more because he’s afraid he gets robbed (he specifically says he’s afraid his hand gets chopped off for it). He doesn’t want to wear them because he feels upset whenever he knocks it against something hard and damages it.

But most of all,  he doesn’t want to wear them any more because he doesn’t feel like he needs to prove anything to anyone any more.

That made me ponder today that maybe we don’t need luxury watches to send any messages. We can have them if we love them and they make us happy but we don’t need it as affirmation for who we stand for or what we are.

The message after all I was giving my Dad for that SEIKO was this:

Here’s one of the most reliable watches in the world that will tick for as long as you want it to. Just like the watch, I hope your life will go on as long as you want it to.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:20:01 PM by hidden830726 »
2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline CKL1213

He and his dad are not WIS, watch is NOT for recognition but appreciation.

It is something like a man who driven all the BMW, Benz, Audi, Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, McLaren, Pagani.

Then he say driving a Toyota is reliable and one of the best.

Because he already owned the better things in life where other mortals can only dream of.

I eat abalone for the past 35 years, suddenly eating mix rice I also won't starve.

Offline roystock

It is something like a man who driven all the BMW, Benz, Audi, Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, McLaren, Pagani.

Because he already owned the better things in life where other mortals can only dream of.

I eat abalone for the past 35 years, suddenly eating mix rice I also won't starve.

+ 1
For me, it was never about status

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."

+ 1

+2,
Fully agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
A story about 'humility' but in reality more about success.

This is what separates a WIS/collector and a show off

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Timeless

Indeed meaningful article, I'd take it as achievement purposes for owing a decent watch

Offline toypoodle

• In God We Trust

Offline sidestreaker

Senseless articles like these are just getting repetitive.

He may be talking about modesty and practicality but he's trying to say he has done this, tried that, and now he's trying to share some of his half-wit values with the readers. Seriously?

I enjoy luxurious watches and I appreciate it for what it is. I am a sucker and it makes me feel good wearing a certain brand especially when it becomes a conversation starter with others who are like-minded. Also, appreciation of workmanship, history of the company, technology, etc and blah blah blah.

One day, a shallow being such as myself may come to a point when all the novelty will fade away but I'm certain I'll not be pompous enough to sit down and write an article like this to tell others about values of life and what's not.

For now, it feels good to be on the dark side.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:26:19 PM by sidestreaker »

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.

He may be talking about modesty and practicality but he's trying to say he has done this, tried that, and now he's trying to share some of his half-wit values with the readers. Seriously?

I enjoy luxurious watches and I appreciate it for what it is. I am a sucker and it makes me feel good wearing a certain brand especially when it becomes a conversation starter with others who are like-minded. Also, appreciation of workmanship, history of the company, technology, etc and blah blah blah.

One day, a shallow being such as myself may come to a point when all the novelty will fade away but I'm certain I'll not be pompous enough to sit down and write an article like this to tell others about values of life and what's not.

You summed it up nicely. +1
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline davidtth

i notice many start from Tag watch, i think the journey begin with wrong path... he should start with Grand Seiko

dont mind me, i'm just a fans talking  :Laughing_on_floor:

eventually, its still up to personal preference, everyone can live with or without watch :)

Offline kingpin

+ 1

+2,
Fully agree!

+ 3.
Totally Fully Agreed.
IWC Pilot Chronograph 3777, Oris Big Crown Complication, Longines Hydro Conquest, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium Auto, Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph, Orient FEM76002B9 Automatic, Seiko Chronograph World Time 7T62 OJHO, AVI-8 Solar Power AV-4018-03, Casio AE-1200WH, G-Shock GA-110RG, G-Shock G-300, G-Cool GT-000

Offline Yoda

"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline mikeylacroix

• DMChiropractic
humble brag

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
I cant even afford a Luxury Tag Heuer, only can afford some Stowas and bronzo....

I real life.. i cant afford to buy BMW, and i cant afford to feed him also.

My dad only gave me Swiss Army.... where is my Patek

Let's not sour on others achivement... i'll earn more money...

ahem. what "abalone"?

2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline ckoh

• Freshie
i don think they know about the appreciation of watches.

Offline niteowl

+2. Totally with you guys on this

Offline jason_recliner

Didn't read the article but I get where the author is coming from.  I recently sold all my high end watches, not my choice but my financial situation deteriorated.  I thought I would miss them but I really don't.  If anything, I feel better about myself not being beholden to a box of expensive baubles.  It is very surprising!

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
The only thing that I really agree is the final phrase:

"Here’s one of the most reliable watches in the world that will tick for as long as you want it to. Just like the watch, I hope your life will go on as long as you want it to."

:thumbsup:
Seiko fan.....

Offline theseira

Guys some of us are buying the watches because we love the watch.

Looks like the writers dad used to buy watches to show off his wealth until he found out that showing off is pointless because there will always be others richer than you.

Well glad he learned his lesson. As always guys buy the watches you love and don't lose money!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:00:09 AM by theseira »

Offline CKL1213

"Businessweek Asia's Best 25 Young Entrepreneurs in Asia JCI Creative Young Entrepreneur Award 2008"

don't play play oh

Offline WHEELQ

I think the son misunderstood his father request.  The poor ol daddy probably wished for a piece of Grand Seiko. And the ignorant son who only knows about Tag/ Rolex/ Hublot/ Pam/Patek bought him a Seiko Premier instead.
 :Blue:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection

I think the son misunderstood his father request.  The poor ol daddy probably wished for a piece of Grand Seiko. And the ignorant son who only knows about Tag/ Rolex/ Hublot/ Pam/Patek bought him a Seiko Premier instead.
 :Blue:

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Yikkie

Wear a watch because you like it, not for showing off your wealth or sending out a message.  True watch lovers will appreciate the art of watchmaking instead of the brand on the dial. Afraid of getting robbed?  Why not wear a Grand Seiko or other enthusiast brands that no robbers will recognize and save the Rolex or AP when you are not walking along a back lane? 

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
i notice many start from Tag watch, i think the journey begin with wrong path... he should start with Grand Seiko

dont mind me, i'm just a fans talking  :Laughing_on_floor:

eventually, its still up to personal preference, everyone can live with or without watch :)

our friend here told me, you will only know how to appreciate LEXUS after you driven Merz & BMW
so i do agree that i only know how to appreciate GS after i wear rolex

his case is classical - he buy wear watch not bcoz he love watches... pure accessories and sympolize of his status till he realize he dont need watch for that

our case are different, we have watch poison bug in our vein... we love watches !

likely he will nvr buy grand seiko, he wont appreciate grand seiko for sure.

Offline iamyourfazaaa

humble brag

I agree. Pointless self-aggrandising article.