Author Topic: Omega's Push Upmarket  (Read 14163 times)

Offline Ek lex

Re: Omega's Push Upmarket
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 10:38:30 PM »
Im not related to Omega or Swatch group or any sort, but I have to say Omega has done heaps and improved a lot technically in their products, from modifying ETAs to their own in-house, from metal case to ceramic, from metalic spring and balace to Silicone... not to mention other very high tech procedure in the manufacturing processes. I have an Aquaterra powered by in house 8500 which I don't have to introduce much, and a Speedy Racing driven by 3330, which was a self-winding chronograph with column-wheel mechanism and Co-Axial Escapement with free sprung-balance equipped with Si14 silicon balance spring, running with extended power reserve of 52 hrs... I know, it's lengthy, it's all the work done to a proven ETA to improve the watch precision, stability and durability, best of all, both watches and movements are officially certified chronometer, mine are running at +2sec per 24hrs, which I am happy enough.

With the latest Master Coaxial, it is another innovation and technology break through, where the need of soft iron cage is eliminated for antimagnetic property, where a exhibition case back could be installed to show off the beautifully decorated movement without compromising the effect of magnetic fields.

Well, definitely a brand that is progressing very well and upping the horology technology limitation and innovation.

Way to go!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:42:37 PM by Ek lex »

Offline Calibr

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 07:43:32 AM »
Exactly. It took a while but Lexus is the top luxury brand in the USA and generally make better cars than the Euros.

Omega is not a Lexus (Japanese car) competing against European brands.

Omega is like a Jaguar. Made crappy stuff in the 80's and 90's but is now highly respectable.

Omega used to be above Rolex in terms of build quality and price. They used to be on par with Patek Philippe in the 50's.

A lot of famous people wore Omega's. Public figures like John F.Kennedy, Elvis Presley and Chairman Mao wore it in the past.

The current crop of public figures whom wear an Omega (without endorsement deals) are Prince William, Joe Bidden, Dato' Joseph Salang Gandum, and of course, Anwar Ibrahim among many others.

The way I see it, Omega are very near Rolex levels in terms of prestige. And they are probably aiming much higher due to their marketing and in-house movements.

You will know when Omega are going upmarket when they start churning out manual winding gold only dress watches. See Omega DeVille Tresor.

Also, omega currently have Tourbillions, annual calendars, true GMT, column wheel chronographs all powered by their true in-house co-axial movements. They are most definitely going high end. No mid tier watch company can boast a 100% in house movement with a tourbillion or annual calendar

[/quote]

Can you share your opinion, between the Omega Planet Ocean GMT and the Aqua Terra GMT, which would be a better watch for someone who doesn't swim? In terms of built excellence, overall design for wearability and costs.

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »

Can you share your opinion, between the Omega Planet Ocean GMT and the Aqua Terra GMT, which would be a better watch for someone who doesn't swim? In terms of built excellence, overall design for wearability and costs.

The two watches that you listed above are true GMt watches with independent adjustable 12h hand while the 24h hand (GMT hand) is pegged to the minute and seconds hand.

Both are GMT watches but what sets them apart is that the PO GMT allows you to keep track time in a 3rd timezone while you are travelling. Also, with the 24 clicks bi-directional bezel on the PO, you can track a 2nd timezone while you are at home.

For example, you are in malaysia. It is now 4:37pm. Both the 12h hand and 24h hand points to 4 and 16 respectively. However, you can track time in California by just rotating the bezel to point the GMT hand at the 2am marking on the bezel. You now can track time in USA while in Malaysia.

Another example, you are instead visiting Melbourne, Australia now. You can pull out the crown to the 2nd position to unhinge the 12h hand and move it forward 2 hours. So, now, the time shown is 6:37pm (which is local Melbourne time) while the GMT hand is still on home time (GMT hand pointing to 16 which is 4pm). So, let's say, you need to call London at 3pm (London/UTC time), you just simply adjust the bezel so that the GMT hand points at 8 on the bezel. So, London now is 8am. You will now know when to call London which is when the GMT hand points to 15.

The AT GMT only allows you to track home time and local time as it doesn't feature a bi-directional bezel with 24 hour markings.

For me, the PO GMT is a lot more versatile as a GMT watch while the AT GMT is just a basic traveller's watch.

Planet Ocean GMT is a nice watch that does everything that it do very well. It's a fantastic watch to take for a swim with its 600m WR but it does wear a bit big and thick.

The Aqua Terra is a versatile watch that can be worn as a boardroom watch and also on holiday at the beach with a pair of sandals. It is widely agreed upon that the AT is a Dressy Sports watch.

The PO will just look weird on a shirt with cuff links.

So, in the end, you have to choose whether if having a full fledge GMT function (ala GMT Masters II) is more important than having a versatile watch for all occasions.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:51:51 PM by Friedricetheman »
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline Calibr

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
Friedricetheman  - thanks for the comprehensive details and opinion. Appreciate that! Seems to me the PO GMT will likely to have more wrist time due to its ruggedness and bezel options.  :thumbsup: :Cheers: