Author Topic: Raising awareness on buying Rolex watches  (Read 14276 times)

Offline mike

Raising awareness on buying Rolex watches
« on: December 24, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »
Just for everyone of your information, there is a company in Switzerland manufacturing and selling Replica Rolex(s) that are 1:1 exactly same as the real Rolex, even the weight. I'm thinking the culprit who started this company should be an ex-worker or watch maker in Rolex. All the watches produced by the company are using genuine materials, genuine watch cases, genuine watch parts and genuine watch boxes. They even challenged clients to open up the back case, and it was 1:1 exactly the same. Even Rolex service center hesitated on the question while handling the watch.
For everyone out there buying a Rolex, please take full cautiousness and only purchase from trusted sellers and shops. Cheers. :Cheers:

Offline mono

• Freshie
Re: Raising awareness on buying Rolex watches
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 05:26:06 AM »
If everything is genuine, what's the difference ?  the price ? The production serial number ?

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 06:14:52 AM »
The root of the question is, that the watch is not made in the Rolex factory, by Rolex and for Rolex. Hence, although most of the parts are genuine, it is still not a Rolex in a sense.

The moral of the story is, buy Rolex from a Rolex AD.  :Cheers:
Seiko fan.....

Offline toypoodle

• In God We Trust
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 08:23:23 AM »
"OEM" in another word!

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »
So a Rolex made in Swiss but not original? I am more keen to know how they handle the serial number  ::)
Can share the link or the source of the information?

Offline Everdying

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »
if someone already has insider knowledge on materials and workings of rolex.
it would only make sense they would also have serial records as to what model each serial belongs to and also carry out the same serial production runs so that they co-relate with every model being made.
just like how in malaysia we can have 2 cars with the same color on the road and same license plate :P
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 08:48:14 AM by Glampyre »

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
Hard to believe that's even possible. The case and dial of Rolex is made inhouse using special material and technology. While I understand it's possiple to make a fake one look like original but it's near impossible to make a genuine/exact copy of the parts. That require the same machine and material which are procure inhouse by Rolex or even make by Rolex itself.

How is this company carry out an operation like this in Switzerland and not risk jail time?'

Unless ... ... it's not exact just lookalike.
Or maybe it's not a Swiss company but rather a company with a Swiss name.

Regard
Tyler

Offline MerzT

• Merchants
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
Curious to know more details about this company . I will believe it if I have a chance to see it with my own eyes .

I have an info about a website name solidswiss who took pic about it and said it looks like original Rolex even uses 904 Steel. But the question is have we ever see it in real ?

Many fake websites in the market unless we bought one and experience it yourself . U might lose ur $1300 for a GMT Master II  :P

Just saying

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »
I dont think Rolex will allow this to happen or continue. Their multi-billion brand and reputation is at risk. It's probably an obscure and small company/person trying to do something funny... but the long arms of the law will catch up sooner or later, especially in Swiss.  :thumbsdown:
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline Lurch

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 02:28:49 PM »
Solidswiss watches look scarily authentic.... Who knows some of us are actually wearing a fake?

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
So a Rolex made in Swiss but not original? I am more keen to know how they handle the serial number  ::)
Can share the link or the source of the information?

Saw alot of it online and from a friend who frequents Switzerland, its called AAA grade replicas. AFAIK, the company which manufactures it is not based in Switzerland.
Seiko fan.....

Offline MerzT

• Merchants
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »
Btw , I think solidswiss is using authentic pic to trick the buyer . And send a what we call " swissgrade " replica to the buyer if they paid . Or maybe didn't even send any watch .

I have gone through solidswiss pictures and I'm quite sure bout they are using authentic pics taken somewhere else.

Also I have seen multiple websites using original and very tempting price to cheat buyer and gone off with their cash. Taurowatch was just one who vanished . And there are some others too .. So just beware of fakes and cons right now .

Offline mike

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »
I do not know about the company. I'm working in a watch service center, a customer sent the watch to us to verify wther it is authentic. We sent it to Rolex and it is a fraud, and the information about this company was all given by a watch maker in Rolex. Handling the watch myself, it was indeed 100% like a real watch.  :Blue:

Offline Timeless

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 07:17:35 AM »
just out of curiosity, does serial number is the only way to identify authentic or replica if all parts are from rolex?

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 02:30:05 PM »
just out of curiosity, does serial number is the only way to identify authentic or replica if all parts are from rolex?

Nope
Seiko fan.....

Offline GMTmaster

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
I do not know about the company. I'm working in a watch service center, a customer sent the watch to us to verify wther it is authentic. We sent it to Rolex and it is a fraud, and the information about this company was all given by a watch maker in Rolex. Handling the watch myself, it was indeed 100% like a real watch.  :Blue:

How about their movements?  ??? Do those companies produce imitated movements or out source third party movements?

Offline Narco

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »
Read up SS guys.

Offline mike

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 07:14:24 PM »
A picture would justify my words.
Here is a picture of the watch I took a quick snap of

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
 I am still bit sceptical on it being so similar. Please don't feel dismay, is good that you bring this awareness to the forum.  However, wouldn't it cost more to make one exactly similar than buying one off shelve ?  Perhaps Rolex was overcharging us all the time and economies of scale didn't happen and we were ripped off !   >.<

Offline Everdying

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 07:39:57 PM »
so i guess we can safely say the watch mikster checked out is not from solidswiss.

Offline Nutralife

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 08:03:25 PM »
Wow! To my untrained eye it looks great. How can they sell so openly? Wouldn't tolex have taken some legal action?

Offline timenut

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »
Wow! To my untrained eye it looks great. How can they sell so openly? Wouldn't tolex have taken some legal action?

It's difficult to track these guys down since most of them operate out of China. Also, if even if they manage to nail one down, a few others will pop up elsewhere. It's a lucrative business.

Having frequented forums on replicas, I have seen comparison photos where the replica looks very close to the original, but there is always something off. It's never 1:1. They have been able to do it for years, thus, nothing new.

End of the day, it's still a replica and will never feel the same as the real deal.

If you want to avoid being sold a replica, a good way would be to buy less mainstream models. I haven't seen a good Zenith replica as yet, but plenty of Rolexes and Omegas.

Offline Nutralife

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 08:22:16 PM »
Good info. Must really be weary buying 2nd hand rolex without papers.

Offline squasub

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2014, 08:26:43 PM »

could you share why/how rolex said the watch is fake? how rolex determine that ?

Offline mike

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2014, 09:09:19 PM »

could you share why/how rolex said the watch is fake? how rolex determine that ?
The movement was not up to the perfect scale. It does look like a real piece viewing from naked eye, but thru a loupe they can clearly see the base of the movement was a based  movement and the main spring wasn't up to the 1:1 ratio comparing to the genuine piece. Main spring size was smaller than a real one. I'm still very impressed they could copy even the movement, looks definitely like the real. Just small details they messed up or couldn't get up to it as it is a very difficult job. Couldn't stand a chance to snap a pic of the movement sadly.