Author Topic: How much to spend???  (Read 37404 times)

Offline maximillian

Re: How much to spend???
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2011, 12:45:57 AM »
for me i buy what i can afford and what i like..and save up for what i love..for me its best to own a few good timepieces that actually bonds with you than have 30 or so timepieces that get more or less zero wrist time
musdus vult decipi ergo decipiatur.veritatem dies aperit.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2011, 05:37:47 AM »
Hewitt - I always like to read stories like yours....

Good choice to settle for a SD, as they have stopped productions and its prices are inflating yearly.

I was told that the ND and the LV had stopped production and is now selling at premiums.

I always believed that one should have at least a rollie (sport)  in his / hers collections  - than have many 'other' timepieces to make up for the presence of one's collections.

my 2 cents

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline hewitt

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2011, 08:33:20 AM »

will do asap bro. on a rig now.

bro.. When can show your Bnib?
in 1999, i was in college, but i know friend's dad who had a Sub Date with blue and red bezel. i wanted a watch like that time. IIRC, the price was abour 11 or 12K. being in college, i can only dream of it.

in 2001, i was in uni, but i was lucky i had good summer training job and it paid really well.

i was holding cash and the sub date that time costs about 2680 pounds sterling. i remember this price very clearly because i was eyeing for it in the UK. i blew the cash i had on holidays and parts for my car.

When i came back to malaysia, i could not afford it with my low salary and can only see the prices going up yearly.

last month i managed to buy my BNIB V series Sea Dweller after looking for a few months. I just had to have it because i do not want to repeat the same mistake i did 9 or 10 years ago.

Offline hewitt

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2011, 08:35:14 AM »
Hewitt - I always like to read stories like yours....

Good choice to settle for a SD, as they have stopped productions and its prices are inflating yearly.

I was told that the ND and the LV had stopped production and is now selling at premiums.

I always believed that one should have at least a rollie (sport)  in his / hers collections  - than have many 'other' timepieces to make up for the presence of one's collections.
my 2 cents
dc

i wasnt really particularly interested in the SD initially, just that it looks best on my wrist.  i tried the Sub, it looked thin to me and also tried the DS, too big for me. so i went for the SD.

Offline cuoreboy

• Freshie
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2011, 07:34:43 AM »
I luv watch too but not afford to get my dream watch.

My Little Story.

My first watch watch back in 80' that time iam a FORM 5 student work part time the first time working get my salary i when shopping and i found one Swatch look soo nice transparent plastic case than can see the moving parts of the watch front n back than i really buy is for that time cost RM 200 ++ than the salesman soo LCLY see me that not afford to buy ... than at last i bought it even i bought than i see this watch no battery one haha  :Laughing_on_floor: go home n ask my mom than i only know is automatic watch from that time until today i use automatic watch ...

Soo far is just have few japan watch ... i really luv PAM but not afford at the moment :Blue:
I found alot of fake PAM and the worst part i saw a indonesia workers wear PAM  :Scolding:

Offline sshark

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2011, 07:49:19 AM »
he could have picked it out from one of the site engineers.

last time my colleague lost a pair of redwing boots in the site. then he saw some of the indon workers wearing redwing boots which were not their standard issue boots. :(

Offline cuoreboy

• Freshie
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2011, 08:59:20 AM »
yeah could be happen either wearing fake PAM or picked ppl watch  :Scolding:

Offline Ryen

• Freshie
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »
If the watch worth the price....i will buy that! no matter how expensive it is~

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »
Hi guys...

I think $$ is very subjective. So, spend whatever you are HAPPY with. But never say regret when you already spend. Never look back.

Happy new year.
Yeah, never regret once money is spent. Never look back.
I have friends that is into Handphones. As we all know, electronics get cheaper with time.
They will never buy a 3-4k watch, but a new handphone costing 3-4k, he can drop that amount in no time.
Whatever floats his boat.
I myself overpaid for a pontos rectangulaire chrono 2 years ago.
Until i stumble into forums and found out about Zeetan.
Looked at his prices and I was like  :Startled:
But, we need to pay for our education sometimes. "Kao Hok Fai" in cantonese... if you know what i mean.
But I nvr regret the past purchases coz I wear and loved all the watches...
As for how much I am willing to spend, depends on my year end bonus.
I am willing to splurge half. But not for the sake of it... will still look for a watch that I like. even if it costs less than half of my bonus, even happier... have money for other things.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline kinson

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2011, 10:27:51 AM »

I have friends that is into Handphones. As we all know, electronics get cheaper with time.
They will never buy a 3-4k watch, but a new handphone costing 3-4k, he can drop that amount in no time.

I must admit I probably fall into that category. 3-4K for an iPhone, tablet, MacBook, 27-inch display etc etc (I don't have all of those, btw) isn't too much of an issue. But 4k for a watch must think quite a bit, hehe. RM14 for McD also no problem, but RM8 for fried rice at food court is a no-no :p

Offline Sheng

« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »
Expenditure on a timepiece is definitely affected by one's income. It is interesting because different people have different views on how much should a watch be worth the buy. If you're a multi-millionaire who have no interest in watch collecting or the habit of wearing a watch, you might not pay RM110,000 for a Patek Phillipe 5712/1A while a millionaire watch enthusiast would.

From a personal point of view, i think if you want to make your money worth while, spend at least RM10,000-15,000 to get a watch that's worth keeping, for example pre-owned Rolex Submariner, Explorer II, GMT-Master II. Either save up or spend that amount if you are well off enough. But again, like i said different people have different views, so some might be willing to fork out RM10,000-15,000 to buy a brand new Tag Heuer Grand Carrera or Omega Planet Ocean because it suits their taste and style.

A decent watch should be worth at least the amount i stated. It is actually a good amount to start with if you're a beginner watch collector, then slowly upgrade to more expensive watches as you learn more about watch market.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
wah so anything below 10-15k is not decent lar?  :laugh: :Laughing_on_floor:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2011, 09:14:26 PM »

I must admit I probably fall into that category. 3-4K for an iPhone, tablet, MacBook, 27-inch display etc etc (I don't have all of those, btw) isn't too much of an issue. But 4k for a watch must think quite a bit, hehe. RM14 for McD also no problem, but RM8 for fried rice at food court is a no-no :p

wah now McD value meal 14 bucks?! was surprised when i saw the 5 dollar burger meal in Carl's Jr in malaysia cost more than 20 bucks!!!!

where's the "value" in the meal?

Offline kinson

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2011, 10:05:50 PM »

wah now McD value meal 14 bucks?! was surprised when i saw the 5 dollar burger meal in Carl's Jr in malaysia cost more than 20 bucks!!!!

where's the "value" in the meal?
Depends la. I think the value meal for quarter pounder is about RM10. Throw in an extra french fries...RM14 la :p

Offline sshark

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2011, 10:15:27 PM »
there are many good watches below rm15k. omega speedmaster and seamaster are good examples.

If I had to begin with rm10k, i think i would not be into collecting watch. my 1st decent automatic watch is a speedmaster triple date which is less than rm10k. it sparked the my curiosity to know more about mechanical watches.
From a personal point of view, i think if you want to make your money worth while, spend at least RM10,000-15,000 to get a watch that's worth keeping, for example pre-owned Rolex Submariner, Explorer II, GMT-Master II. Either save up or spend that amount if you are well off enough. But again, like i said different people have different views, so some might be willing to fork out RM10,000-15,000 to buy a brand new Tag Heuer Grand Carrera or Omega Planet Ocean because it suits their taste and style.

A decent watch should be worth at least the amount i stated. It is actually a good amount to start with if you're a beginner watch collector, then slowly upgrade to more expensive watches as you learn more about watch market.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2011, 08:32:38 AM »
seiko mm300

sinn u1

damasko

ball engineer hydrocarbon series

All above rm10k
buy it, feel it, wear it... U will appreciate it...
If u happen to sell it... U will know many appreciate it...

Offline Sheng

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »
sshark: for 10k budget onwards those Omegas definitely should be considered in the list, and they look great too, never had any doubts about the beauty of those two you mentioned.

Well, it's just personal opinion that on average you got to spend 10-15k to enter the entry level into branded watch, but as long as the person likes the brand and its design, it is most important. You can spend 10-15k on Tag Heuer Grand Carreras, but a Tag is still a Tag, can't really be on the same level with a Rolex or Omega. The next level would be 30k onwards on Rolex Daytonas, AP Royal Oak, IWC, Zenith. Top level would be Patek Phillipe for sure, wearing a BMW 3 series or even 5 series on the wrist is definitely satisfying and extremely overweight on the wrist. Either that or AP Royal Oak Offshore or Solid Gold/White Gold Daytona.

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2011, 09:21:28 AM »
This is an interesting topic started in january...wondering how it all has penned out now that we are in the middle of the year?....any takers...or the money all gone on the usual suspects, car, computers etc
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline takashi78

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
Well for me besides the usual installments i got myself a Damasko.

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2011, 12:23:09 PM »
I have yet to buy any yet but hoping that within the next few months there shall be one.

I reckon after you manage to buy your first 1k watch anything below is easy peesy and the moment you get to 5k, anything below that is easy peesy again. I think, at this point the most I'd spend would be for a Rolex :) As dc keeps on mentioning it here i.e. in MWF, a rolex is a must for a collector even if just one and I am in agreement :)
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »
Sid - thanks for the comments.

Go easy on the first try, may could start with a new airking and later in life, upgrade to a sport model.

As you mentioned, after your 1st rollie...anything below is 'easy peesy'..

May I wish you good into your first rolex acquisitions

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2011, 01:01:10 PM »
i'm not sure about you guys but personally i would never sell my 1st rollie because it is my 1st rollie...if i fancy another watch i'd save up for it. same goes to my oris because it is my 1st auto...not selling it for any reason (unless life threatening, touch wood).

as i am typing this i just realised there are other 1st(s) came to mind...1st panerai, 1st PP, 1st AP, 1st GS, 1st skeleton, 1st gas tube, 1st dress, 1st roselor, 1st GMT, 1st chrono, 1st sonnerie.... mati la wei!!!

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2011, 01:09:23 PM »
hahaha, that's a good one omnipotent

I got my first russian watch which is mechanical konon konon to practice if have the desire to wind each day so when I get a Rolex (which I assume is hand wind) i will know what to do so not look like a fool (my own thinking)

2 years down the road, this winding thing is quite cool, also no fear of battery leak which destroyed my first swatch  :(

I relate to Hewitt somewhere down this thread on his story and my personal story with this rolex is that it just keeps getting more expensive. Someone here had mentioned that by the time you reach the target, it goes up again and hence I think it is time to act  :Praying:

Hahaha...soon soon, if not middle of year sure year end....hopefully :Cheers:
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2011, 01:27:19 PM »

I got my first russian watch which is mechanical konon konon to practice if have the desire to wind each day so when I get a Rolex (which I assume is hand wind) i will know what to do so not look like a fool (my own thinking)

2 years down the road, this winding thing is quite cool, also no fear of battery leak which destroyed my first swatch  :(

I relate to Hewitt somewhere down this thread on his story and my personal story with this rolex is that it just keeps getting more expensive. Someone here had mentioned that by the time you reach the target, it goes up again and hence I think it is time to act  :Praying:

I don't get it. so you're looking for a 6694 or a Celini Prince? maybe even a vintage daytona? those are the few models which are handwound Rolexes.

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2011, 01:40:23 PM »

come attend the father's day cocktail at pav...they offer 12 - 18 months int free payment  ;D