Author Topic: Watch as Investment  (Read 33686 times)

Offline theseira01

Re: Watch as Investment
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2015, 08:22:29 AM »
Second hand watch dealers and gray dealers make money cause when you sell them they normally offer few thousand below from the market value. So when they sell they can pocket few Thousand dollars. I spoke to dealer regarding some pieces I owned for example, my rose gold Daytona this dealer in Singapore offering 29,000 sgd for it but they selling a similar piece for 34,500 sgd. instead of selling to dealer I sell to buyer myself. Another example is a dealer in Melbourne Australia I enquired about selling off my nautilus + cash for his 5980. He said he will give me 20k AUD for the nautilus. I just say no thanks I can get 27-28k aud if I sell myself. Also there is a dealer in Sydney Australia that sold blue dial nautilus for 28,800 aud hand piece. He had that piece on the market for less than a week. My point is the dealers will buy from you got thousands of dollars less and sell for way more that's how they make the big $$$$. Buy if you buy pieces hard to shift then hard to sell. That's why I try to limit myself to sought after pieces.

AD make big money cause they buying it at cost maybe 50% off retail. I don't buy my watches from AD unless it's really sought after piece with good price with strong value retention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Calibr

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:59 AM »
For Rolex watches, the grey dealers I know will normally discount at least 20% off current market prices for cash deals or trade-ins. For some watch owners, this is ok. If the owners want to sell directly through online, be prepared to get all sorts of enquiries!  :Mad:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2015, 09:13:52 AM »
Second hand watch dealers and gray dealers make money cause when you sell them they normally offer few thousand below from the market value. So when they sell they can pocket few Thousand dollars. I spoke to dealer regarding some pieces I owned for example, my rose gold Daytona this dealer in Singapore offering 29,000 sgd for it but they selling a similar piece for 34,500 sgd. instead of selling to dealer I sell to buyer myself. Another example is a dealer in Melbourne Australia I enquired about selling off my nautilus + cash for his 5980. He said he will give me 20k AUD for the nautilus. I just say no thanks I can get 27-28k aud if I sell myself. Also there is a dealer in Sydney Australia that sold blue dial nautilus for 28,800 aud hand piece. He had that piece on the market for less than a week. My point is the dealers will buy from you got thousands of dollars less and sell for way more that's how they make the big $$$$. Buy if you buy pieces hard to shift then hard to sell. That's why I try to limit myself to sought after pieces.

AD make big money cause they buying it at cost maybe 50% off retail. I don't buy my watches from AD unless it's really sought after piece with good price with strong value retention.

I disagree.
Yes, used watch dealers do buy watches at a lower price that market selling price.
We have to also consider their overheads for running a brick and mortar place.
For every 1 watch they sold, there might be 10 waiting for buyers.
In order to make the profit, watches have to be sold.
Holding costs have to be calculated as well.
What about warranty costs?
Some preowned shops offer 3-6 months warranty period, that also eats into their margins.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline sshark

« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2015, 09:21:56 AM »
.... My point is the dealers will buy from you got thousands of dollars less and sell for way more that's how they make the big $$$$. Buy if you buy pieces hard to shift then hard to sell. That's why I try to limit myself to sought after pieces.

Then you are buying wearing watches what other ppl like or wear a small subset of watches in demand. IMO, that pretty limited. Of course, on the up side you don't lose much and perhaps make some money in the process.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2015, 07:06:18 PM »
Also, I doubt the watches for "investment" get much wear at all to retain the 'mint' state. Which does defeat the enjoyment of wearing a watch.

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2015, 03:53:59 AM »

Also, I doubt the watches for "investment" get much wear at all to retain the 'mint' state. Which does defeat the enjoyment of wearing a watch.

Exactly! Just enjoy the sheer pleasure of owning and wearing the watch, second hand value is secondary consideration.....if you gain in the process, it's a bonus.....if you want investment return, the mutual fund will give you a better and steady return....

Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline Cocas

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2016, 04:55:17 AM »
My own experience is to buy those so called basic brand (Tissot/Mido... etc) 18k solid gold casing automatic watch. Especially, those model or series that are not so trendy and classic that still selling as available model now. For example, Tissot Carson, Mido Commander.

Their values retain quite well due to the solid gold casing. Tissot carson 18k cost about RM3.6k 10yrs ago now is about USD1.3k (i could not find the Tissot AD carries this model in Msia now so could not have RM price reference nowadays, only googling).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:24:16 AM by Cocas »

Offline ianwong

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2016, 05:37:37 AM »
For me when you say your going to invest in a watch, it means you are going to spend on a brand that you will probably be able to wear (and get serviced) a lifetime and maybe even pass down to your kids. I don't believe in investing in a watch to make more money.

Offline AbbasHabshee

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2016, 09:33:16 PM »
Its just another asset you put you financial in, nothing to do with investment  :thumbsup:

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2016, 10:25:54 PM »
I don't mind if people want to buy a watch for an investment....

But shouldn't  you buy a watch that you like and wear it with pride? Shouldn't you enjoy the movement? The craftsmanship? The quality of the materials?

If you buy just solely as an investment... it takes away from the watch and the watch becomes boring. Buy and wear in good health. Build a connection with the watch.

There are other ways to make money that are much better. Like getting a promotion at work and climbing the corporate ladder. Or investing in real investment vehicles like property or fixed deposits or stocks.

Adam
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1