Author Topic: Watch as Investment  (Read 33703 times)

Offline chengho99

• Freshie
Re: Watch as Investment
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2014, 12:45:25 AM »
What do you think if we buy AP 15400
It is a good buy for investment?

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2014, 08:03:39 AM »
What do you think if we buy AP 15400
It is a good buy for investment?

Yes, it is as good as investing in the currency of the People's Republic of Akhzasban.  :thumbsup:

Offline watzisname

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »

Yes, it is as "good" as investing in the currency of the "People's Republic of Akhzasban".  :thumbsup:

Fixed.  :D

Offline kygan711

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2014, 10:37:47 AM »
On a different note, I have met a person who is good at renovating. He buys a house for his own stay and renovates them. He will then sell if after 2-3 years lock stock and barrel and get good offers for them because he makes the houses looks great and par to the price he is asking for. Then he upgrades to bigger houses with bigger reno budgets. Do note, his houses areas are strictly in Bangsar area only and he have been shifting within this area.

What I obrserve is, he is doing this not from a purely investment kinda things but more like for my own benefit and personal consumption first and then if someone makes a great offer I will re do it again. He is also a furniture dealer on a full time basis.

I guess it's "Do what you know and like first " and if offers come make some money on them.

So if you know what you are investing before pulling the plug I guess

Offline dpkong

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »
Watches are an "investment" only in the sense that you can't spend the cash elsewhere. Buying and hoping for appreciation is not a good idea at all.

Offline nasa

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2014, 02:05:44 AM »
I've said it before & I'll say it again..U buy shares, unit trust, property, gold etc for investment, but not watches..Especially if u're so called " watch enthusiast, collectors etc". Sure, u might get lucky with some of d watches like what stated in the link above (patek, rolex, omega breitling) but it only covers very ltd model only..Not all model will appreciate in the future. I doubt if it's even more than 5% of the total watch production. & even if yr watches appreciate 30% after let say 20 yrs try to factor in the pv of money, inflation rate etc2. Does it really appreciates?? & the most important part is will u sell yr watch that u really love even if appreciates by 100%? I doubt it unless u really in desperate situation..Sorry, better buy properties..much better form of  investment compare to watches. Better chances of earning huge windfall compare to buying & selling watches..Then u can use it to buy more watches.. :Cheers:

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2014, 04:53:42 AM »
Not so much an investment, but more like hedging for future price hike, inflation, whatever u name it.

LIke a watch, Buy it now (if you have the extra funds), wear it. Having fun. Then see the price going up. Viola, paper gain with the price different (shock sendiri, assuming u are able to sell it at the price that you bought it). Even without selling it, you still earn for able to buy the watch cheaper before price hike.

Off course, buying now means, less money for investment, opportunity cost etc.

Every purchase have a story, everyone value their watch in their own way. If your "heart" is right, in theory no one will ever lose money for buying a timepiece that you like. We will earn at least "Sentimental" value our from it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:43:41 AM by hidden830726 »
2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »
Do you like the watch you bought?and to own it you have to go through high and lows?and upon strapping it on your wrist you feel like nothing else matters and you can't stop staring at it every now and then?Not every investment is in the form of cash you know

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »
Watches are not short term, high yield investments. But they are an inflation proof investment.

A watch bought new today will retain almost all its resale value (after the depreciation hit) and its resale price goes up in tandem with the inflation rate.

But this only applies to pedigree brands and not the 3rd tier brands which makes up 90% of the watch market today.

Pedigree brands include but not limited to Rolex, Omega, Patek Philippe, Jaeger LeCoultre, AP, and breguet.

These brands will hold their second hand value very well and their 2nd hand value will rise in tandem with the inflation rate.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:56:01 PM by Friedricetheman »
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 02:39:10 AM »
We were just talking about this on another forum!

Some watches do go up in value but not as much as they used to, they are just so expensive now, there is a limit to how much higher they can go in real terms. Also, there is no return on your investment until you sell it. You could have been buying and flipping all kinds of watches with that money.

More pragmatically, if you have a loan of any sort, any other 'investment' must be increasing, as a minimum, at the rate of interest you're paying on your loan just to break even. Then you've got to consider servicing. And insurance...

At a higher level, there are concerns like a slowing luxury goods market in China, and the fact that the Chinese now prefer omega to Rolex. Then the Rolex bubble starts to look just a little bit shaky.

At least there is no capital gains tax on watches!

On another note, I don't want to be racist but Malaysians are always looking to make a quick buck without doing any work. A few years ago it was swallow nest, then bubble tea, then cafe, then patisserie. Everybody jumps on a bandwagon and just kills an industry for short term gain. This is not just my opinion, my Malaysian Father in Law explained this to me recently. 

Do you really think you can just walk into a shop and buy an investment?  If so, why does anybody bother working?  Use your brain man!

Offline kygan711

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2015, 06:42:42 AM »
I got a recent example of you can walk into a shop and buy and investment ! Maybe this is once in a blue moon type of coincidence.

Heard of the New Mercedes Hybrid ? The waiting line is long so some of the buyers are willing to pay a premium of 40K if you are willing to pass your car to the buyer who can't wait.

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2015, 07:48:37 AM »
I got a recent example of you can walk into a shop and buy and investment ! Maybe this is once in a blue moon type of coincidence.

Heard of the New Mercedes Hybrid ? The waiting line is long so some of the buyers are willing to pay a premium of 40K if you are willing to pass your car to the buyer who can't wait.

It's difficult to walk in and buy one if there is a waiting list!

Look at it this way. If watches were such great investments, shops wouldn't need to sell them. They could just hold on to them and be rich!

Offline sshark

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »

Look at it this way. If watches were such great investments, shops wouldn't need to sell them. They could just hold on to them and be rich!

It sounds right at first read but somewhat it does not make sense if you think about it. Are companies stocks and properties good choices of investments? Yes. Would you get rich by owning / investing in them? Perhaps or you might lose but this is besides the question. Coming back to your logic, properties developer would not need to the shop lots and houses they build but keep building and holding on to them, right?? :)

Watches basically don't make money for you. it is for your enjoyment. Having spending typically ten to twenty thousands RM on a watch you want to have more options for the watches you owned in case you needed the cash for emergency or what can you do if you get bored with it.

Offline kingpin

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2015, 10:11:53 AM »
I dont think much about investment but more on a hobby.. collect and wear it..
IWC Pilot Chronograph 3777, Oris Big Crown Complication, Longines Hydro Conquest, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium Auto, Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph, Orient FEM76002B9 Automatic, Seiko Chronograph World Time 7T62 OJHO, AVI-8 Solar Power AV-4018-03, Casio AE-1200WH, G-Shock GA-110RG, G-Shock G-300, G-Cool GT-000

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2015, 02:38:28 PM »

It sounds right at first read but somewhat it does not make sense if you think about it. Are companies stocks and properties good choices of investments? Yes. Would you get rich by owning / investing in them? Perhaps or you might lose but this is besides the question. Coming back to your logic, properties developer would not need to the shop lots and houses they build but keep building and holding on to them, right?? :)

Watches basically don't make money for you. it is for your enjoyment. Having spending typically ten to twenty thousands RM on a watch you want to have more options for the watches you owned in case you needed the cash for emergency or what can you do if you get bored with it.

Actually, you sort of made my point for me. Shop lots, houses, and company stocks are productive investments. They represent work undertaken and return on investment (rent). While the capital value may increase (in real terms) the true value, what makes them good investments, is the return. No return on watches.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:16:25 PM by jason_recliner »

Offline sshark

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2015, 03:10:05 PM »
AHa.. sorry... I misunderstood ur earlier statement. My bad.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2015, 08:12:32 AM »
this topic will be brought up all the time.
sales men tell you buy watch for investment because watch price goes up all the time!
PP doing marketing in auction center and watches do keep value.

brand? model? year made? completeness? condition? previous owner? when you sell it? where you sell it?
the above answer will determind the value of the watch

if you buy watch and rent it out then it is investment for sure

Offline EvolutionZ

• Freshie
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2015, 09:58:33 PM »
Watch is like a piece of jewelry nowaday. Our phone can show more accurate time and remind us with alarm.
For investment, I shall say it depends on luck. A friend of mine bought a Rolex for rm28k just before GST and now it is selling Rm35k exclude GST. As long as he is not selling... No profit and not an investment cos he loves the watch so much.

Offline DolCeAddicT

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »
Watch is like a piece of jewelry nowaday. Our phone can show more accurate time and remind us with alarm.
For investment, I shall say it depends on luck. A friend of mine bought a Rolex for rm28k just before GST and now it is selling Rm35k exclude GST. As long as he is not selling... No profit and not an investment cos he loves the watch so much.

On a side note, sorry, I'm just curious which particular Rolex your friend bought? Tq

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2015, 09:34:43 PM »
Must be the batman or hulk, but not that high as 35k.!. Regards

Offline EvolutionZ

• Freshie
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2015, 10:32:22 PM »
Some has guess it rite. Rm35k was the open price. Maybe can nego I not sure, u can surf n find out if u want to verify, just sharing what was told to me  :Cheers:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:37:36 PM by EvolutionZ »

Offline theseira

« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2015, 01:56:35 PM »
All depends on the piece and the price paid for it. Investment pieces are hard to get. Normally you can't buy from the shop.

Real life example (talking about modern pieces):

If you manage to be able to buy a Patek 5131r (the yellow gold and white gold discontinued now) at retail price it is a solid investment. The problem is you can't buy at retail unless of course you had spend big $$$$$ at the AD or some sort of vip.

Also try looking at the 175 anniversary Patek pieces - if you are allocated a piece you make instant profit. The second hand prices are way over retail. Similar situation as the 5131r.

Check out Patek annual calendar 5396G - if you managed to buy at retail instant profits friends.

Other examples would be vintage pieces. skills required! But hey buy the piece you like and buy it cheap and it may be an investment.

Offline keanewoon

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2015, 12:00:20 PM »

All depends on the piece and the price paid for it. Investment pieces are hard to get. Normally you can't buy from the shop.

If you manage to be able to buy a Patek 5131r (the yellow gold and white gold discontinued now) at retail price it is a solid investment. The problem is you can't buy at retail unless of course you had spend big $$$$$ at the AD or some sort of vip.

Also try looking at the 175 anniversary Patek pieces - if you are allocated a piece you make instant profit. The second hand prices are way over retail. Similar situation as the 5131r.

Check out Patek annual calendar 5396G - if you managed to buy at retail instant profits friends.

Other examples would be vintage pieces. skills required! But hey buy the piece you like and buy it cheap and it may be an investment.

If anyone able to get these models, s/he is talking about buying exxon or other big business and not discussing whether watch is an investment tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline theseira

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »

If anyone able to get these models, s/he is talking about buying exxon or other big business and not discussing whether watch is an investment tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't afford to buy big companies but I can provide my personal experience:

1) I bought RG Daytona for 30k AUD, after 1 year and 6 months (sold last Friday) I sold it for 32K AUD.
2) I bought Patek Nautilus 5711 blue dial for 26k SGD. I haven't sold this yet. I think I can fetch 29k-30k SGD easy.
3) I bought SS Daytona black dial for RM30k. I can easily sell this for over RM30k.
4) I bought Milgauss GV black dial for 6.5k AUD. Planning to let go for 7k AUD.
5) I bought SS Sub ceramic date black dial for 8k SGD.
6) Now I am looking for AP 15202 40th anniversary at 18k USD. Which I believe I will not lose money if I decide to sell it.

My criteria is simple before I like the piece it has to have strong value retention and I don't want to lose money. After it meets the criteria I can decide whether I like it or not. Since my criteria is strict I am very patient and I will only buy when I get good deals.

The investment returns is not as good as my other investments however I do gain a lot of excitement from this!

Offline cokacoka

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2015, 10:01:13 AM »

I can't afford to buy big companies but I can provide my personal experience:

1) I bought RG Daytona for 30k AUD, after 1 year and 6 months (sold last Friday) I sold it for 32K AUD.
2) I bought Patek Nautilus 5711 blue dial for 26k SGD. I haven't sold this yet. I think I can fetch 29k-30k SGD easy.
3) I bought SS Daytona black dial for RM30k. I can easily sell this for over RM30k.
4) I bought Milgauss GV black dial for 6.5k AUD. Planning to let go for 7k AUD.
5) I bought SS Sub ceramic date black dial for 8k SGD.
6) Now I am looking for AP 15202 40th anniversary at 18k USD. Which I believe I will not lose money if I decide to sell it.

My criteria is simple before I like the piece it has to have strong value retention and I don't want to lose money. After it meets the criteria I can decide whether I like it or not. Since my criteria is strict I am very patient and I will only buy when I get good deals.

The investment returns is not as good as my other investments however I do gain a lot of excitement from this!
[/quote]

Good one bro. Ever wonder how watch shop can make big money?

Anyway on a smaller scale

I bought a GMT 16710 4 years ago. 14.5k. Sold it recently for 18k.

Not investment grade but it gives you good excitement.