Author Topic: What do you think of micro brands? German brands?  (Read 8186 times)

Offline LouisC

What do you think of micro brands? German brands?
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
What do you think of micro brands? German?

No doubt Germans makes great watches such as Glashutte, A. Lange & Sohn, Mulle....many more to be named. Well, those are bigger brands with Boutiques worldwide and decent services centers to take care of their after sales services.

What about micro brands? Brands such as Vintage VDB? Many might not hear of them before, but honestly, they do make outstanding Vintage look watches, comes in 3 different category : series models (CNC productions), handmade models & custom models.

(Please no links to commercial sites. Thank you)

Unfortunately, like most micro brands exist in the market, some model are way over-priced. Those custom made piece's can actually buy an AP or Hublot. Some might argue saying, they're custom made single piece watch which other will not have the same model. Seriously, do you care they comes in single piece or 9999 pieces?

After sales services are mostly a set back for most micro brands in market. Which most of them having a hard time keeping customers in satisfactory status. Two wys to look at it, honestly, you might said, one to ten men micro company having difficult time to settle and solve everything. On the other hand, after sales services are basic requirement for a watch company, whether big or small.

Quality? Issues?
Limited Edition? Issues? Just like Panerai, limited a model for 200 pieces a year, the next year same model being limited again for another 200 pieces. Total lost of value in Limited Edition. I personally would call it limited productions rather than Limited Edition watches.

Many more to be discuss...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:07:52 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: What do you think of micro brands? German brands?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:15:57 PM »
Actually we are pretty familiar with VDB as our first project watch was with them. :)

With regards to Panerai, the production of their watches is limited production and not Limited Edition. They do have a series of Limited Edition watches, different from their Limited Production watches.

As for what I think about Micro brands... Well I do like some of the brands and what they are doing. Some produce well made watches and some don't. It is very personal and the decision to buy or not depends on your comfort level.

Some micro brands have started to have after sales service as well. I have had no issue with my MKII watch when the watch fell and seized the crown to the winding stem. They sent the parts and I got my watchmaker to fix it. Now they even have their own repair shop, true it is in USA, but at least they have one. I know of other micro brands that have their own after sales service.

Offline petiteseconde

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »
There's an independent manufacturer in Dresden with a small output of watches (considered micro?) called Lang & Heyne. Price range is at the level of Lange but that's because the build quality and finishing is ridiculously amazing.

Offline jaushiarn91

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 02:40:11 PM »
In my opinion, most of the german watches are of high quality and comes at an affordable price. I would recommend you to look at Nomos (for higher end watches), Stowa (Mid-range), and probably Laco (for entry level).

Hope that helps
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time

Offline ianwong

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 01:06:14 PM »
In my opinion, most of the german watches are of high quality and comes at an affordable price. I would recommend you to look at Nomos (for higher end watches), Stowa (Mid-range), and probably Laco (for entry level).

Hope that helps

where does Sinn fit in? Tool watch maybe

Offline Timeless

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 09:13:52 AM »
Meister Singer and Muhle Glashutte are durable and classy in my opinion.

Offline Isaac Tan

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 08:42:04 AM »
I think Nomos is a good brand, simple yet clean design, but they don't have AD in Malaysia :(

Offline freakfingers12

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 06:54:09 AM »
I'm curious about after sales service too. What about Junghans?

Offline leonggyooi

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 07:38:29 PM »
Good like Stienhart, Stowa, Sinn..

Offline strapfreak

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
steinhart and finn really sells well in my country

Offline istick99

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 10:43:06 AM »
What do you think of micro brands? German?

No doubt Germans makes great watches such as Glashutte, A. Lange & Sohn, Mulle....many more to be named. Well, those are bigger brands with Boutiques worldwide and decent services centers to take care of their after sales services.

What about micro brands? Brands such as Vintage VDB? Many might not hear of them before, but honestly, they do make outstanding Vintage look watches, comes in 3 different category : series models (CNC productions), handmade models & custom models.

(Please no links to commercial sites. Thank you)

Unfortunately, like most micro brands exist in the market, some model are way over-priced. Those custom made piece's can actually buy an AP or Hublot. Some might argue saying, they're custom made single piece watch which other will not have the same model. Seriously, do you care they comes in single piece or 9999 pieces?

After sales services are mostly a set back for most micro brands in market. Which most of them having a hard time keeping customers in satisfactory status. Two wys to look at it, honestly, you might said, one to ten men micro company having difficult time to settle and solve everything. On the other hand, after sales services are basic requirement for a watch company, whether big or small.

Quality? Issues?
Limited Edition? Issues? Just like Panerai, limited a model for 200 pieces a year, the next year same model being limited again for another 200 pieces. Total lost of value in Limited Edition. I personally would call it limited productions rather than Limited Edition watches.

Many more to be discuss...

German watches. German often making very good quality product. Nevertheless they are producing very very good quality watches. I owned Steinhart Ocean 1 Black and Sinn 656. Both with Swiss movement ETA 2824-2 running very well and good keeping time.

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 02:52:48 AM »
Steinhart is Swiss btw. Nevertheless, they are quite vfm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 04:54:30 PM »
With no GST soon. German watches become is going to be better value for money

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline W1NT3RW0LF

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 03:47:53 PM »
One of my favourite micro brands from Germany is Damasko. They made some of the toughest watches in the industry ( even compared to higher ends ones ). They used to provide the cases for the company Sinn.

This is their discontinued top of the line model the DC66 Si

As an owner, I can testify for their quality and build. The watch is very tough and surprisingly very comfortable.

One of my favourite piece In my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline raveen13

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 11:41:41 AM »
Typically German brands comes with good quality watches. Schaumburg, Temption, Limes, Nivrel (just to name a few) are some of small brands with outstanding quality.