Author Topic: Why do women models depreciate faster ?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline chiggah

Why do women models depreciate faster ?
« on: April 01, 2022, 07:02:10 PM »
I am actually looking for a timepiece for the missus.

Came across this. Is this an OK buy ? Seems RM200 cheaper than retail, but  I guess once you walk out with it, it automatically depreciates by 20-30% ? https://www.carousell.com.my/p/1152458917/?utm_campaign=share-listing&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=share-copylink

I'm kinda new so if you can share me some good grey market dealers that'd be appreciated.

The other question is should I buy new or used for  lady models ? We have discussed about it and she doesnt mind used.

We tried both 28mm and 31mm at the AD and preferred the larger 31mm. Did not think of trying the 36mm at that time, so my other route would be get a 36mm so we can at least both share the watches  ;)  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 07:18:50 PM by chiggah »

Offline hmkpwatches

Re: Why do women models depreciate faster ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 11:20:48 PM »
depends if you want to build a profile with the AD or not. generally speaking its alot easier to get women models and alot of ADs push their customers to buy women models to build their profile. due to this the 2nd hand market is flooded with pieces that dealers and flippers buy and get rid of at a loss since they had no intention of buying or wearing the piece. its just a means to an end, its not really depreciation.

if you want to build a profile go ahead and buy from an AD/boutique but the available stock is quite limited and you will generally pay more for the piece. if you just want a piece for the missus and dont want to bother building a profile (which takes alot of time and effort to build and maintain let alone money) then just go with a grey market dealer. there are loads of watch stores in KL that will have plenty of ladies DJ.

Offline wkwk92

• Freshie
Re: Why do women models depreciate faster ?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 07:16:53 AM »
I believe the price would be supply and demand driven. In any case with a more demanded size (36,41mm), more buyer would be buying off the second hand market, hence the "depreciation" is not as fast as the ladies mode. But of course this is also dependent on the brand or series that we are looking at.