Author Topic: don't buy Rolex with power reserve at 50 hours!  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Cocas

don't buy Rolex with power reserve at 50 hours!
« on: February 22, 2022, 05:56:43 PM »
i know Rolex is good and a good tool to hedge against inflation.

just to be extremely careful about those models that having power reserve at 50hours. it's likely to have a price crash if the price is abnormally unreasonable.

the trend lately is to trade in those 50 hrs power reserve for newest 70 hrs power reserve models.
 :o
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 12:22:52 AM by Cocas »

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
Re: don't buy Rolex with power reserve at 50 hours!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 06:05:09 PM »
Don't understand what you mean dude.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Cocas

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 12:24:47 AM »

just my personal opinion and i put it up here just a quick record for myself see if my observation and prediction are correct or not.

Offline ry

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 04:36:54 AM »
I dont think it s got to do with power reserve.This is the first time i am hearing an opinion that better power reserve plays a role in Rolex prices.All Rolex classic,vintage or new have appreciated...period
Yes some movements are better than others but what makes a higher power reserve less reliable .
If there s going to be a major price correction it will affect all Rolexes

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 05:14:58 AM »

just my personal opinion and i put it up here just a quick record for myself see if my observation and prediction are correct or not.

it would be nice if true... the 116610LV would hopefully reach a more attainable level.. but then it was never "replaced" by
the 126610LV since the dial changed to black.

a good ruler would be the 116613LB vs 126613LB  and the 116622 blue vs 126622

investor have really destroyed the watch market.... I do wish for a major crash and burn for all the noobs who jump on the
train just by listening to the advice of grey sellers...

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 06:07:17 AM »

it would be nice if true... the 116610LV would hopefully reach a more attainable level.. but then it was never "replaced" by

investor have really destroyed the watch market.... I do wish for a major crash and burn for all the noobs who jump on the

As harsh as this may sound, I have to agree with you. It is all these speculators, new bitcoin millionaires and social media “influencers” that has pushed prices up. I miss the days where I can walk into any AD and try out any model that I want. Back in the day, wearing a Rolex means you appreciate the toughness and robustness of a boring looking watch. But today…it’s all about “hype” and the “look at me” factor. 

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 06:23:27 AM »

As harsh as this may sound, I have to agree with you. It is all these speculators, new bitcoin millionaires and social media “influencers” that has pushed prices up. I miss the days where I can walk into any AD and try out any model that I want. Back in the day, wearing a Rolex means you appreciate the toughness and robustness of a boring looking watch. But today…it’s all about “hype” and the “look at me” factor.

Now a days, watches a now often seen as investment or flexing rather than timekeeping device. Investor/grey dealer/ professional flipper can make a ton of money, but the most important is actual history of "Manufacture d'horlogerie". Fair enough when watch market is booming, but its come to microeconomics "demand and supply" curve. I'm with you sifu, I do wish for a major crash and burn.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 06:32:54 AM »

to be honest, if something as intangible as Bitcoin can soar and stay high, then there is little hope of a crash for a timepiece you can actually wear...

once an item can be used to as a form of money exchange (nice word for launder), then it's value is guaranteed to soar and stay high...

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 07:02:30 AM »
Maybe a more accurate comment would be that older models enjoy less price appreciation as compared to their modern counterpart. Price crashing is unlikely.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline ry

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 07:04:05 AM »
   I have stopped buying Rolexes couple years back.Neither am i planning to buy in near future
           Be careful for what you wish
A crash if it happens will not be specifically to only watches( looking at the general economy) and it will be very painful to a lot of people and not necessarily watch collectors
       :Laughing_on_floor:            And if it really crashes the question is will it go lower or is time to buy?

Buy a luxury item if you can afford it and enjoy it.If you think and worry too much about it then i guess you cant afford it

« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 07:06:03 AM by ry »

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 07:10:21 AM »
If anything, my take is to buy the older models. A Rolex has not changed much over the years. If you are a new collector, it would be better to look into the older models. Anything else..... ::)  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 07:14:42 AM »
   I have stopped buying Rolexes couple years back.Neither am i planning to buy in near future
           Be careful for what you wish
A crash if it happens will not be specifically to only watches( looking at the general economy) and it will be very painful to a lot of people and not necessarily watch collectors
           :Laughing_on_floor:And if it really crashes the question is will it go lower or is time to buy?

Buy a luxury item if you can afford it and enjoy it.If you think and worry too much about it then i guess you cant afford it

A crash is only painful to investors, more so if they invest with short term funds.. or worse, borrowed  funds...

if you bought a ROLEX at retail, your losses are minimal.. unless you borrowed money to buy

if you bought a house to live in, your losses are only on paper, you can still live in it

if you bought a shoplot to do business in, you're still alright unless business closed and you owe the bank money.. still your losses are minimal..

etc etc...

again, only those who buy all the gobbledygook that fund managers and FX trading experts shell out suffer if there is a crash

but going by the excess liquidity, that crash is almost guaranteed not to happen unless watch prices double or triple today's asking prices, then it has truly gone over the top and ready to topple..

Offline W3ll

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 07:25:32 AM »
Never have I heard anyone actually buy a Rolex due to its power reserve.. this is one interesting "opinion" or "prediction"

The hulk better be crashing hard then.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 07:27:58 AM »
Never have I heard anyone actually buy a Rolex due to its power reserve.. this is one interesting "opinion" or "prediction"

The hulk better be crashing hard then.

and suddenly we woke up and it was all a dream eh?

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline jf98

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2022, 07:32:43 AM »
Honestly, looking at the demographic of these Rolex buyers do you really think they even know what movement is in their watch let alone power reserve or beat rate etc? I don't think any of these forex or MLM millionaires buying Hulks and Batmans at 3x retail will care. Only thing that matters is which one is more expensive and shiny  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline swleong

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2022, 09:57:11 AM »
If anything, my take is to buy the older models. A Rolex has not changed much over the years. If you are a new collector, it would be better to look into the older models. Anything else..... ::)  :Laughing_on_floor:

My old 14060M 2-liner also appreciated 3 folds since i acquired it 10 years ago.

My observation, the DeepSea still seems "reasonable" compares with other modern sports model. Maybe too big and heavy, not many ppl goreng it.   
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 10:10:48 AM by swleong »

Offline jf98

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2022, 10:12:56 AM »

My old 14060M 2-liner also appreciated 3 folds since i acquired it 10 years ago.

My observation, the DeepSea still seems "reasonable" compares with other modern sports model. Maybe too big and heavy, not many ppl goreng it.

DeepSea is very unwieldy and bulky, especially for smaller Asian wrists. Looks enormous on my 16+cm wrist  :o

Offline Cocas

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2022, 11:37:39 AM »
Thanks! Many good points and input from Shifus here.

i also hear and notice some vintage Rolex are difficult to sell as compared against 2 / 3 years ago - pre-covid19 pandemic time.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2022, 01:06:06 PM »

i also hear and notice some vintage Rolex are difficult to sell as compared against 2 / 3 years ago - pre-covid19 pandemic time.
I think this is because most only want to enjoy the price appreciation of newer models. If all they want is that level of “appreciation”, then the newer models are the way to go. For the purposes of actually owning and enjoying a Rolex today, I think that the 5 digit sports model are more accessible and would be great pieces to own and enjoy. Prices for these appreciate too.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2022, 01:41:21 PM »

I don't believe any Rolex is hard to sell.. look at prices of 6694 now... I was looking to find one in good condition for less than RM3,500 but now they're practically doubled or more..

heck.. even the Tudor Prince Date chronos have disappeared from dealer trays and now command more than RM20k compared to when I was trying to squeeze them for below 7k..

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2022, 01:55:13 PM »
You have some options

1. Play the AD game and build a purchase history to one day hopefully get a Rolex at retail. Remember the retail price increases the longer you wait.
2. Pay the premium and buy what you want today on the grey market.
3. Buy a watch from another brand. There are plenty of MRSP price or pre-owned Omega/IWC/Tudor/JLC/GS/ or others around available with discount.
4. Pick a new hobby

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk

Offline swleong

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2022, 02:22:12 PM »
You have some options

1. Play the AD game and build a purchase history to one day hopefully get a Rolex at retail. Remember the retail price increases the longer you wait.
2. Pay the premium and buy what you want today on the grey market.
3. Buy a watch from another brand. There are plenty of MRSP price or pre-owned Omega/IWC/Tudor/JLC/GS/ or others around available with discount.
4. Pick a new hobby

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk

reaching mid-life crisis, so 4 is the way to go for me  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2022, 08:23:26 AM »

And then the new hobby also kena hyped and viral, and then we're back to square one all over again :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2022, 09:57:57 AM »

And then the new hobby also kena hyped and viral, and then we're back to square one all over again :Laughing_on_floor:

hahahahaha... :Laughing_on_floor: i pick number 1, play AD GAMES...just like my wife is a ROLEX AD, i'm on a wait list for sex and maybe buy some bling2 or Cellini and they say better build a compassion relationship. Some say it helps and at least still faithful and don't go to grey market or better is build a relationship with different AD  ;D    :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2022, 07:26:51 PM »
In fact I intended to trade in my 116610LN for a 126610LV last year but was detered by a lot of reported issues on 3235 movement which Rolex has yet to provide a permanent solution. Still happy with my 50hr power reserve grail ;)