Author Topic: Panerai for a Rolex  (Read 2743 times)

Offline HarleMec

Panerai for a Rolex
« on: June 28, 2023, 09:11:31 PM »
Selamat Hari Raya Aldiladha and happy holiday all in advance.

Would appreciate some advice and thoughts from sifu2 and fellow friends here, I currently have a PAM111 that I've been wearing quite frequently and I really do enjoy wearing it. It's also been the ONLY one that capture the most attention among my circle of friends/colleagues. Have to admit that I do also enjoy the attention. As compared to my 16570 and my black bay bronze.

I'm still relatively new to watches, I buy and wear them coz I like them and it gives me a sense of achievement. I'm very shallow like that :p

I've had the liking of the blue dial OP39 for a long time, but I've never pulled the trigger because it's a much smaller watch than what I'm used to. Certainly, not as eye catchy as the pam. The dial colour and overall minimalistic look just speaks to me everytime I look at it, but I also like the PAM111 as much.

I have a limit of owning no more than 5 watches so one of my watches has got to go.

I don't plan to sell the 16750 as it's my first rolex, and I still want to keep the bb bronze so I can see how it'd patina eventually. I dress very casual typically, tee shirt, jeans, shorts, slippers...do you think selling the pam and replacing it with the OP39 be something that I'd have a higher risk of regret? does is dress down well? what do you think :)

they're quite different in everyway but it'll be great to hear some of your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Offline dpkong

Re: Panerai for a Rolex
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 09:24:30 PM »

1. You will lose money on the PAM111 when selling. If you like it that much, you will regret it

2. The OP39 is a nice watch but I don't think selling one you really like for one that you think you will like is a good idea.

3. Since I dislike any bronze watch, that would be the one to flip.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 10:19:30 PM »
Regret? Unlikely. You can always sell the OP and buy back a PAM111. Having said that, would i do it? No. The OP would not feel much different to your 16570. A Panerai is a different ball game altogether. You have also indicated that you enjoy your current watches. If I would like to feel a sense of achievement; I would sell off the 16570, PAM111 and the Tudor Black Bay Bronze and just go for the latest Submariner or pre-owned GMT IIc.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Cocas

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 05:19:35 AM »
just in case you need to flip your watches.

A quick info sharing. Malaysia 2nd hand watch dealers will take rolex watch at 30% off from market price, and at 50% off from market price for non-rolex watch in general market practice.

Offline shanky0

• Freshie
Panerai for a Rolex
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 06:13:08 AM »
Well there's another solution, expand your watch collection to 6  :D Temporarily at least. Over the next few months, you will know for sure which watch you have fallen out of love with and can consider to trade off that.

From your write up, seems like you have an emotional connection to your PAM111 and will probably regret selling it. The feeling will probably be a bit different if you buy back another PAM111 instead of your own. So really have to think twice about letting it go.

If we take a practical financial viewpoint, the question here is are you able to buy your OP near retail price? If turns out you don't like it, can probably recover your money and no lost position if you sell it yourself, just gonna have to be patient and wait for the fish to bite.

Offline Watchlover1970

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 12:30:33 PM »
P111 is a very distinctive watch.. U can spot that miles away..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 07:39:32 PM »
just in case you need to flip your watches.

A quick info sharing. Malaysia 2nd hand watch dealers will take rolex watch at 30% off from market price, and at 50% off from market price for non-rolex watch in general market practice.

Thread hijack...

It sure looks like the grey market is melting..

Offline HarleMec

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 11:35:59 AM »
thanks all for your insights...

In fact I think increasing my limit to 6 is the best option, and let time tells which I will lose love with. I'm beginning to see that there's never forever love, or the ONE, in the watch collecting world, where we'll constantly change mind or taste.

I do have enough funding for the OP39 but it's not like I SHOULD spend the money unless I absolutely love it or there's a deal that I cannot resist. Hence...the hesitation lol.

does anybody know what was it's RRP when it was launched?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 11:41:01 AM by HarleMec »

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 12:13:10 PM »
imho...i wouldnt trade a PAM111 for an OP39. I had the OP39 - the discontinued white version, no less. tbh it is nice and subtle, but a little too subtle imo. RRP back in 2019 was around RM20k only.

If you want to make space for the collection - well, similar to what GMAC proposed, though would be painful to sell all - so here's another (unhelpful) suggestion - keep the PAM111, sell the 16570 and Tudor BB Bronze, and get a used Sub no date 114060. No Regrets bro....hahahaha

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2023, 08:47:38 PM »
thanks all for your insights...

In fact I think increasing my limit to 6 is the best option, and let time tells which I will lose love with. I'm beginning to see that there's never forever love, or the ONE, in the watch collecting world, where we'll constantly change mind or taste.

I do have enough funding for the OP39 but it's not like I SHOULD spend the money unless I absolutely love it or there's a deal that I cannot resist. Hence...the hesitation lol.

does anybody know what was it's RRP when it was launched?

The best way is always to add a piece before selling anything.. that way you won't have to go through the regret of parting with a piece and missing it later.

Totally agree that there is never a forever love or ONE watch only.. because the feeling lasts only until the next acquisition.

And try to get the OP from an AD at retail...

Offline jf98

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2023, 03:09:04 PM »
Increase your limit to 6 first since you have the funding...the more the merrier right?  ;D

Offline swleong

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 12:24:16 PM »
If I am in your situation, I will sell the BB Bronze.

Personally, bronze watches only look good when they are clean. Patinaed bronze watches are really disgusting.....except the PAM 382 bronzo.

Both the 16570 (if it is Polar) and the 111 is distinctive, so they should be the keeper.

OP39 is neither here nor there kind of feeling. If Rolex is what you want, then ok. Else, a few smaller size blue dial watches are nice also such as the BP Bathyscaphe, IWC Le Petite Price Pilot, etc.

Offline HarleMec

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2023, 09:44:38 AM »
looks like not a lot of love for bronze eh?  ;D

the OP39 is still a bit far off from retail at the current state, I guess I will not purposely hunt for one unless a good bargain presents itself.

imho...i wouldnt trade a PAM111 for an OP39. I had the OP39 - the discontinued white version, no less. tbh it is nice and subtle, but a little too subtle imo. RRP back in 2019 was around RM20k only.

If you want to make space for the collection - well, similar to what GMAC proposed, though would be painful to sell all - so here's another (unhelpful) suggestion - keep the PAM111, sell the 16570 and Tudor BB Bronze, and get a used Sub no date 114060. No Regrets bro....hahahaha

I'm abit hesitate with getting a sub purely because - everyone has one :(

Offline dpkong

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2023, 09:58:24 AM »

the OP39 is still a bit far off from retail at the current state, I guess I will not purposely hunt for one unless a good bargain presents itself.

bronze watches feels like a gimmick..

my wife wears an OP36.. she loves it but I have no interest in it... or in the 39 even... no date, dome bezel, all that dial space and nothing on it.

I used to say pass on the sub as well, purely because everyone has one but the blue 2-tone is so classic who can refuse? The clasp is so good as well.

I don't think the OP39 is worth above retail even if you really like it.

Several suggestions to look at other brands.. I highly suggest the BP Bathyscape

Offline HarleMec

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2023, 10:08:20 AM »

my wife wears an OP36.. she loves it but I have no interest in it... or in the 39 even... no date, dome bezel, all that dial space and nothing on it.

I used to say pass on the sub as well, purely because everyone has one but the blue 2-tone is so classic who can refuse? The clasp is so good as well.

Several suggestions to look at other brands.. I highly suggest the BP Bathyscape

sure do sir!

I supposed to get the sub it has to be them 2 tones, or hulk/starbucks variants to be a little different isn't it? :)

Offline dpkong

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2023, 10:13:37 AM »

sure do sir!

I supposed to get the sub it has to be them 2 tones, or hulk/starbucks variants to be a little different isn't it? :)

hulk and starbucks probably nice as well but the premiums on them will likely stay ridiculous for sometime to come, especially the discontinued hulk.

while the asking price of starbucks is now much lower than when initially released, it is still high

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2023, 06:45:49 AM »

I agree on the clasp for the sub...pretty much the best bracelet-clasp combo I've experienced...(Im sure many beg to differ, but that's just me). I had the Omega Seamaster Pro 300m - doesn't come close in terms of comfort and fit despite the micro adjustment (due to the pivot point that comes from the Sub clasp).

And the premium for an older 114060 isnt too ridiculous imo...about few k above current retail albeit the current model is newer.

For OP - I agree as well - that domed bezel is a nightmare to maintain. trust me. top up more to get a DJ36 fluted bezel - more intrinsic and functional value too...hehe

Or get the Explorer I 214570 Mark II dial 39mm with the longer hour and minute hands if you like a polished bezel...RM30k-ish boleh dapat - pretty good deal too rather than OP39 - since the Exp I comes with 5mm Easylink extension

Offline HarleMec

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2023, 02:10:59 PM »
Lots of great advice sirs!

Looks like I do have a lot more other options, Rolex or not.

Since the itch is not exactly bad I guess I can hang on a while before I make any silly mistakes lol.

Offline HarleMec

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2023, 02:01:33 PM »
Almost 3 months since the start of this topic - the 38mm summer blue aqua terra seems to fit the bill as well. retailed at 31k now maybe I could also wait for a preown unit in the next few years to come :p

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2023, 02:28:17 PM »
or the Omega Seamaster 300m in green on rubber strap.. very competitive price and you can see some examples on used market now...

Offline HarleMec

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2023, 04:22:18 PM »
or the Omega Seamaster 300m in green on rubber strap.. very competitive price and you can see some examples on used market now...

aiyoyo...trying not look at diver :p