Visit Malaysia Watch Forum's online store for luxury watches and fine timepieces.

Author Topic: Rolex Explorer 14270 (2000)  (Read 7782 times)

Offline Zarium

• Freshie
Rolex Explorer 14270 (2000)
« on: December 24, 2016, 10:29:40 AM »
I have a Rolex Explorer 14270 that's currently my daily watch that I'm willing to trade off...

First off, details:

P-serial, which means it's a year 2000 piece. Purchased in Japan. Comes with everything: double boxes with pillow and cloth, COSC certificate (in Japanese), booklets, leather sleeve, calendar (year 2000/2001).

Sapphire crystal is flawless. Case is in a 9.5/10 condition. Timekeeping is perfect. Bracelet was hardly worn and is also not currently being worn. It's got no stretch to it and the clasp is very fresh (loud click). Hardly any scratches throughout.

Now...

I'm really only looking to trade it off with one other model -- and that's a Submariner. I'm looking at the older models, primarily the no-date ones; but I'll consider date as well.

I will add cash on my end, of course.

Not interested in the ceramic ones because they're way out of my price range.

Interested? Let's talk. WhatsApp 012-2331815.

To view pics in a new tab, right click the pic -> view image

Offline Zarium

• Freshie
Re: Rolex Explorer 14270 (2000)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:29:38 AM »
Please guys, I'm getting a lot of enquiries about this watch but not the sort I want.

This watch is NOT FOR SALE. I wear it EVERYDAY and I cannot do without it.

I am only willing to trade it up for only virtually one watch, and that watch is the Rolex Submariner -- either 14060; the no-date, or the 16610 (the date). I prefer the 14060. Yes, I still do find myself missing the date feature sometimes, but I appreciate the symmetry more than the date feature. Oh, and also those models in particular because they're the ones that I can actually afford...or ones that I am actually willing to afford.

I don't care for the newer models because they're too expensive for me to justify purchasing at this point in life and I find some je ne suis quoi character of the watch I'd grew up seeing my dad wear for most of my childhood simply no longer there (he wore, and still has, that 16610).

So please, do us all a favour and don't bother writing in if you don't have what I'm looking for for a trade. I mean no disrespect, but you'll really just be wasting your time. And mine.

Unless you're going to offer me some astronomical amount like RM20k, I am going to just turn you down every single time. It took me years to save up, find, and finally procure a stellar specimen of a piece I've wanted since I was in grade school. And when I finally got a random text out-of-the-blue from someone asking me if I was still interested in an Explorer, I half-heartedly replied just for the sake of entertaining him. I wasn't very financially liquid at that time and I thought there would be no way I'd be able to get one.

Then out of the sheer kindness and goodwill of this man's heart, he let me have it for a price way, way below market rate. To say it was a steal is an understatement.

All the way leading up to the deal, I had it in my mind that I was going to eventually flip it for a huge profit. But after we had a long conversation over coffee and how he hoped he was passing it to a owner that would actually wear it and not keep it locked in a drawer, and that he saw a lot of himself in me when he was my age and how I was buying this to mark a milestone in my life, the money I was paying for it wasn't the impetus behind his willingness to sell the watch to me. He wanted to me to wear it, and wear it well.

So I decided to get rid of everything else (except an old Oysterdate heirloom) and keep just this one watch that I'd wear everyday.

So you know what? It's going to take more than just some bullshit RM11k offer claiming that it's an "old 14270, not the newer 114270 so that's the best offer you're going to be getting" watch to get me to part with it.

I may not be that cognisant with what the market prices are on a day-to-day basis, but I sure as hell have a rough idea.

It just so happens that I've decided that the next timepiece I'd like to be getting to mark the next milestone in my life is a Submariner (a story for another day). And from experience, since this forum moves rather slowly, I posted this ad out here in the hopes that when the time comes that a someone has a Submariner to offer me, I'll be able to hand him nothing over but cold hard cash for it; Explorer still on my wrist.

Let me clear this up a little: I'm not a difficult person to deal with. Watches are certainly far from the only finer pursuits in life I find myself dabbling in. I believe in honour and I never make a promise if I do not have utmost certainty I will be able to keep it. I made a promise to the man who sold me my 14270 to not go around behind his back and flip it, and that is what I will not do.

I hope you don't think of me as rude or crass upon reading all this. You'll find that I'm polite and courteous, but firm and fair. I treat you commensurate as the way you treat me, and I will levy upon you the same amount of respect as you me -- based on merit.

It's just that I find myself getting increasingly fed up at so many asking if I'm willing to sell my Explorer when I made it quite clear I'm looking for nothing BUT a trade. One guy even offered me a little unsolicited tidbit of knowledge which must have made him feel real good about himself, about how mine's relatively worthless compared to the 114270 so I should just sell it to him or "somebody that knows how to appreciate watches."

So please, don't WhatsApp me about my Explorer unless you have what I'm looking for and are similarly interested in doing a mutually beneficial trade. I'm always open to talking about horology or whatever else, though, so don't let this slightly un-amiable tone of the post have you think I'm a snob. I'd love to have a chat about anything at all you think we may be able to converse about.