Poll

What's your thought on Panerai these days?

Still as great as before and still see many around
27 (42.2%)
Hype has died, not many seen
24 (37.5%)
Absolutely no love whatsoever
13 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: What's your thought on Panerai these days?  (Read 23520 times)

Offline mikelcch

What's your thought on Panerai these days?
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:57:17 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm curious what's the general consensus on Panerai these days in our country. It seems that there's not as much hype as before, even on a once-glorious forum there's an admittance that the brand has suffered from multiple releases that have alienated the core fans.

There used to be a lot of hype, say 3-5 years back. Walk in to the AD and you'll probably find yourself wanting one but being put into the waiting list, and many were willing to wait. There was a lot of people wearing them. But these days there seems to be quite a few pieces in the display cases waiting for new owners.

So what's your thought in this?  :Cheers:

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Re: What's your thought on Panerai these days?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 05:53:56 AM »
Probably the hype was not as glorious as before but my perception is that the demand is still relatively quite high....at least my observation in the secondary market, the base pam or the sandwich dial PAM still maintain a considerably good secondhand value and they are usually snapped pretty fast when they are on the market.... At least from my observation in the mwf preowned section....

And, no i don't have any PAM yet and it's not high on my next-to-purchase....i think i would rather buy iwc or JLC before owning a PAM...but that's just me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline rahkshi007

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 06:52:15 AM »
I still saw alot of people wearing it.. Panerai is very easy to be identified on the street due to its large and unique look. Panerai only worth to get after already have Rolex, Omega, AP

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 07:13:10 AM »
Still see many of it although I must say now is a good time to buy one pre-owned. Prices are not as high as before.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline mikelcch

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:03:45 AM »
Yeah pre-owned prices seem to be at a more realistic level but the ETA models seems to be holding quite well. I was looking at pre-owned Luminor base ETA models early this year and most were at 10-20% below shop AD prices. Fortunately for me, I found at PAM000 at the AD and I think it's the model to own after selling off my 312 as it sat quite high on the wrist.

I just hope they discontinue the ETA models quickly because it makes no sense to have it competing with their in-house models. It makes me think they're milking everything they can.

Offline gunsnroses

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 10:54:22 AM »
I have been asking the same question as well in the past few days, good to see this thread and the replies. I have also been on the lookout for Panerai models but have yet pulled the trigger.

My thoughts are like this. The base Panerai models are still very much in demand, you will be hard pressed to find brand new units (000,005,112 and ETA models) at ADs. They generally sell very fast once they arrive. If you notice, the models available in the boutiques are the models with complications or in-house movements. Or Radiomir and submersible models.

I believe this is fuelled by the news that ETA is discontinuing their sale outside of Swatch group and Panerai is also discontinuing their base Luminor models with ETA movements. This has caused "panic" buying as some ppl think Panerais as "investment" pieces now. Prices of Panerais have since been going up as well, a base model 000 would sell brand new around 4-5 years back around RM12K only, now it's close to RM20k.

I believe the following is still strong due to the design of the watch, being big and rugged, yet simple and beautiful. But added to that, now you have people buying them for "investment" purposes and what nots. Panerais have also become somewhat a symbol status, I realise that the brand recognition has improved greatly over the last few years. People, at least those from Gen X and Y seem to recognise Panerai and Rolex as luxury watches on par with each other. Ask them about Zenith/JLC/IWC, very few would know.

However, I have yet to read any statements from Panerai themselves that they are discontinuing their base models. At that kind of price point, a base ETA movement in a steel case seems overprices IMHO. Which is why I have been holding back.

These are generally my thoughts and of course, subject to debate.

Offline Devilzzz44

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 12:04:58 PM »
For Pam...i will always go for pre owned...buying new? nah....not for me... ;)

Offline davidtth

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 01:59:36 PM »
for me is only a nice looking watch, not a real watch maker / horological brand ...

Offline Cwlwatch

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 02:54:26 PM »
for me is only a nice looking watch, not a real watch maker / horological brand ...

Exactly

Offline mikelcch

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »
I have been asking the same question as well in the past few days, good to see this thread and the replies. I have also been on the lookout for Panerai models but have yet pulled the trigger.

My thoughts are like this. The base Panerai models are still very much in demand, you will be hard pressed to find brand new units (000,005,112 and ETA models) at ADs. They generally sell very fast once they arrive. If you notice, the models available in the boutiques are the models with complications or in-house movements. Or Radiomir and submersible models.

I believe this is fuelled by the news that ETA is discontinuing their sale outside of Swatch group and Panerai is also discontinuing their base Luminor models with ETA movements. This has caused "panic" buying as some ppl think Panerais as "investment" pieces now. Prices of Panerais have since been going up as well, a base model 000 would sell brand new around 4-5 years back around RM12K only, now it's close to RM20k.

I believe the following is still strong due to the design of the watch, being big and rugged, yet simple and beautiful. But added to that, now you have people buying them for "investment" purposes and what nots. Panerais have also become somewhat a symbol status, I realise that the brand recognition has improved greatly over the last few years. People, at least those from Gen X and Y seem to recognise Panerai and Rolex as luxury watches on par with each other. Ask them about Zenith/JLC/IWC, very few would know.

However, I have yet to read any statements from Panerai themselves that they are discontinuing their base models. At that kind of price point, a base ETA movement in a steel case seems overprices IMHO. Which is why I have been holding back.

These are generally my thoughts and of course, subject to debate.

Very, very good points bro. Which model are you looking to get? Honestly I think the base ETA models and a few other models ie. the PAM372 are the only ones worth getting, great references to the historic models and design. Moreover the service cost for ETA models are not too expensive and can be done by experienced independent watchmakers. No offense to those that own other models. To each their own.

On Panerai not being a real watchmaker/horological brand, is it because they only cased up Rolex/ETA movements into their watches? I think they have made the step up (of course with help from within the LVMH group) and have made some decent movements. Coupled with strong history and iconic designs, I believe they have elevated their status. Only problem is they're milking it to the max.

Offline kygan711

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 06:10:59 PM »
This brand is going niche- "only a nice looking watch" and thats why they are not a real watch maker / horological brand  to some or most. Both are different camps and I think its mighty clever that they go for the " nice looking watch" where less competitors like how Blue Ocean strategy is about.

I am a Panerai fan. I bought a few other brands and then when I found everything was messy and cluttered, Panerai struck on me like a brick. I like simple design where less is more so this is the brand of my preference. The other second critical factor is it has got lots of strap options to play with. And the watch feels new everytime when I change a strap. Its like I am a poor man with different watch look but with the same watch everytime with different strap compared to you guys who got different watch for different occasions. My purchase and liking for this brand is purely aesthetic. No consideration for the movement that got in there cause this is a designed inclined brand anyway so it should be like that.

I have observed from many forums that I have not seen as much elsewhere where a Panerai fan could keep buying  or own a few Panerai watches of different models. And a lot of them are like that. I don't seem to see as much in other brands like IWC, JLC, CORUM, GRAHAM just to name a few for simple comparison.

So I think the watch is still doing relatively well and they manage to get the same watch owner to keep buying different models from their range. Well this is just me and I am not a big time horological knowledgeable person and I am not a very technical watch guy so do discount my views if I am not aligned to you guys.

Offline roystock

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 06:11:45 PM »
I find it interesting to read that despite a similar (if not identical) look, an ETA based Pam is more desirable than the one with new, unique movement and longer power reserve.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:23:19 PM by roystock »

Offline antoniosaprozeld

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »
Altho i rank pam's not so highly, i must say the design is attractively unique..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline davidtth

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »
using rolex movement is already a history, using eta with COSC has never been accurate, using in-house movement are worse than seiko movement with tons of problem

my only choice of pam design would be base pam like 000 005 111 112 and best 372

i do own pam before but no longer keeping any :)

Offline mikelcch

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 06:44:47 PM »
@kygan711 Well your views are certainly welcome. It's good to share rather than to align. That's what I intended this thread to be.

Judging from the results so far it seems that the hype has died quite a bit and general feeling is that the historic base models are still maintaining their popularity.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 08:55:34 PM »
Pam is the fastest growth brand in watch history

Every brand is strong at different price segment

Pam it's already there for watch Ard rm18-30k

The design is repeating
The production is high

Hence its loosing its collectors
Imagine collector paying 30k for California dial
Then Pam issue another thousand unit with new movement
Now even regular production Hv it

But brand is not design and make for collector

With 70k+ pieces made a year
Each special edition is 1000++ units and still sold out
You must say the brand is doing well

Many new buyer wanted to get it for their first 20k+ watch

The other problem Pam is facing
They didn't control the grey since many yrs ago
Due to wrong distribution

When Msia want to get one
The retailer here don't Hv it n grey Hv it !

Like other said
I walk into mid valley weekend
I can spot more than 10 Pams on ppls wrist
It's used to be wis watch
But now a common brand general public wanted

Offline Shiang

• Hello! Hello!!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 06:43:16 AM »
Personally Panerai is a great alternative to watches we have known and love say Rolex, Omega and Tag.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 07:46:36 AM »
Pam is the fastest growth brand in watch history

Every brand is strong at different price segment

Pam it's already there for watch Ard rm18-30k

The design is repeating
The production is high

Hence its loosing its collectors
Imagine collector paying 30k for California dial
Then Pam issue another thousand unit with new movement
Now even regular production Hv it

But brand is not design and make for collector

With 70k+ pieces made a year
Each special edition is 1000++ units and still sold out
You must say the brand is doing well

Many new buyer wanted to get it for their first 20k+ watch

The other problem Pam is facing
They didn't control the grey since many yrs ago
Due to wrong distribution

When Msia want to get one
The retailer here don't Hv it n grey Hv it !

Like other said
I walk into mid valley weekend
I can spot more than 10 Pams on ppls wrist
It's used to be wis watch
But now a common brand general public wanted

I definitely agree with what Chris is saying here. Panerai reissuing past popular models and inserting their in-house movements certainly drives down the appeal and price of the older "grail" pieces. Still I must say Panerai's design is quite iconic with the crownguard in that shape being synonymous and associated with the brand.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline rkch1975

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 01:57:05 PM »
The Luminor line is getting to be pedestrian these days. Too many around. Strongly agree with what Chrisyen commented.

Offline mikelcch

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 04:46:02 PM »
Yes, I agree there are too many models but very little variations. Unfortunately, that seems to be their business model now. A lot of their hardcore fans have also left them.

My friends have also fell out of love with their Panerai. They see me wearing mine and they're like mehh...  :Laughing_on_floor:

I'm also curious to see how much longer they can milk it. And how many more variations they can do.

Offline smackzeen

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »
One of the top brands in malaysia now..u dont lose much fliping with panerai

Offline cychung

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »
i own a rolex now but thinking to exchange panerai because rolex can see alot of ppl wear it.

Offline smackzeen

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 08:07:00 AM »
Panerai goes well with all type of dress

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 12:58:34 PM »
Panerai is a very unique watch with interesting design and history. I was very big into PAMs and I have even visited the Florence watch shop and bought a PAM 170 OOR there. I lost a lot of respect for the management team due to the PAM 360 debacle and the PR problems after that. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't even go to the famous site anymore.

I still have 2 PAMs presently but it is highly unlikely for me to buy them anymore. Personally they are nice watches and a great alternative to the other sports watches around. Prices were crazy at one point in time and like other posters said ADs can never get the hot watches but you can always find them at the grey market sellers for lots of money. I guess it was too much of a good thing.

Offline mikelcch

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 02:34:12 PM »
Panerai is a very unique watch with interesting design and history. I was very big into PAMs and I have even visited the Florence watch shop and bought a PAM 170 OOR there. I lost a lot of respect for the management team due to the PAM 360 debacle and the PR problems after that. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't even go to the famous site anymore.

I still have 2 PAMs presently but it is highly unlikely for me to buy them anymore. Personally they are nice watches and a great alternative to the other sports watches around. Prices were crazy at one point in time and like other posters said ADs can never get the hot watches but you can always find them at the grey market sellers for lots of money. I guess it was too much of a good thing.

Were you in the hunt for the 360 too? I read a bit on that and it wasn't very well managed. Which are the two that you still keep? The 170 looks great!

I think there are at least 2 groups of the brand's following, mainly those that came and gone (perhaps might come back) and another that's just starting. It seems that they are more focused on getting new customers, leaving the loyalists. Hence, they've actually lost more because those that were loyal were the brand's advocates. And now a lot are gone.

Seems that the damage has been done and it'll take quite a lot to regain the trust of Paneristis...