Author Topic: IWC x Santoni Appreciation event on 7/10/2014  (Read 7575 times)

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
IWC x Santoni Appreciation event on 7/10/2014
« on: October 14, 2014, 08:46:11 AM »
Thanks for Valiriam Group for inviting some of the forum mods and myself into this mini event that is part of “The Art of Time” exhibition in Pavilion shopping mall.

The main purpose of this event is to showcase how fine craftsmanship of Santoni handmade leather goods complements the high technical nature of IWC watches.

All the participants gather together to share the warmness with each other while listening to Mr Andrea Casavecchia (on the right), managing director for Santoni Asia Pacific and Mr Matthew on the left (I don’t know his full name as he does not pass his business card to me), managing director for IWC South East Asia explaining about collaboration between IWC and Santoni. In addition, they also discussed about the new Portofino mid-size collection which I get to that below.

To show how serious Santoni in this event, they brought in a craftsman all the way from Italy to do a live demonstration on how do they do their sorcery:

In order to work as craftsmen in Santoni. One have to attend Santoni leather making school for 5 years (which undoubtedly is harder than most university degree out there) where she will be taught the skills and brand value that what made Santoni very well known the world. Apart from crafting leather, she does painting during her free time. Life is not about work work work work innit?

The photo bellows shows many different variations of leather straps

This photo of half-completed shoe to show the difference before and after process is completed

This following is the leather goods that Santoni made where you can see some are paired with IWC watches. Also, photos of Portofino 8 days which is the first watch to produce under the IWC/Santoni partnership.

It is interesting to know that the sole of the shoe is fully replaceable once it is worn out as you can see in this photo

This is Santoni iconic double buckle design. It like according its sales director “tourbillon of the shoe world”

Santoni offers bespoke shoes where one can create its dream shoes for themselves. That mean you can create your personal shoe. When I say personal, it is personal as in you can specify different lining on different parts of the shoe

The purpose of this event is to formally introduce new range of of mid-size collection (Gigi: more like woman range with bling bling element) into Portofino family.  More details can be read here from IWC website which is written by collectors like most of us here > http://www.iwc.com/en/experiences/the-new-midsize-portofinos-a-collectors-impressions/

Real-life photos of the new range. It’s good to know that the straps in the new collections are made by Santoni. One set of strap (two separate straps for each watch) according Santoni Asia Pacific Director takes about 1 to 2 days to produce. After it was completed, it will be thoroughly checked by IWC representative at the factory to ensure it met the minimum required standards.

The following are random wrist short of participants in this event? Unfortunately I did not take all of it as it may rude to do so :/ They are some interesting watches like solid gold pam (again I did not take photo of it).

Here is my take on the blue face Portofino after asking folks from IWC to complete my trilogy.

My first impression the watch had a large face but it its not too big for my puny wrist. Not to mention compared to my aquatimer and ingenieur which is chunky this is on the other extreme of the scale being thin. The fact that it is a hand-winded watch means the watch is thinner than automatic winding compatriot. I had problem sleeping that night thinking about this watch. Perhaps I should consider this or Portuguese as my next watch to complete my iwc trilogy.

I would like to again thank Valiriam Group for inviting MWF to this event. Before that the only Santoni product I care about is sneaker produced in collaboration with Mercedes-AMG which in my opinion suits me more as young chap. After this event I get to know more about Santoni and its core value for its products

Hope you enjoy this write up and I apologise for the less than perfect photos posted here.

FYI. If you are keen to buy Santoni shoes or other products. The closest dealer outlet for us is to go to their outlet in Singapore (Marina Bay Sands) for the latest collections. The one in Parkson Pavilion are of older stock as Santoni stop dealing with them some time ago according to Andrea.

Offline davidtth

Re: IWC x Santoni Appreciation event on 7/10/2014
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:58:25 AM »
great event ! had the 8 days and i must say the strap is very nice color and not to forget the comfortably wrap on hand

nonetheless, thanks for sharing :)

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »
great event ! had the 8 days and i must say the strap is very nice color and not to forget the comfortably wrap on hand

nonetheless, thanks for sharing :)

Wat ya think abt that watch? Just wanna hear your taughts. ???

Offline davidtth

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
is a very very dressy watch and best suit to formal wear (only), simple yet beautiful glass-less feel (as usual for IWC) i would say, the accuracy is better than 7 days, running at about +2 per day

only thing is the crown is a bit small so u tend to get tired when doing full wind at one shot, unlike the newer model with date located at 12 o clock has bigger crown, but only in precious metal :(

the model i have was while dial with gold hand, which by far the most stands out and easier to read time compare to blue/grey dial especially indoor due to the steel color hand

well, just my personal though, sidestreaker would have a lot more experience with the 8 days :)

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »
Hi Abel,
As usual you have done a great job in preparing this report.

The IWC/Santoni event was a real eye opener for me as it was a great introduction into the world of exclusive leather craftsmanship. Watching the Santoni craftslady work on each individual leather strap was simply mesmerizing and it serves to confirm the winning partnership between IWC and Santoni in the Portofino collection of fine timepieces.

And needless to say I was really impressed by the exquisite workmanship that goes into each pair of Santoni handcrafted shoes, especially their signature double buckle design which you so aptly called the Tourbillon of Shoes.

Thanks for sharing.

:Cheers:

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 10:40:19 PM »
Great report, thx Abel.  :thumbsup:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:32:27 AM »
thanks for the report...look like you guys having a good time huh...