Author Topic: Rolex Prices Tanking  (Read 60956 times)

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Rolex Prices Tanking
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2020, 04:10:32 PM »
Visited a grey dealer recently, and been told that lately most of their new stocks are from local ADs/ boutiques. Wonder how to get our hands on any sports model from ADs or boutiques?? ???
Walk in there and tell them you willing to spend 200k on corum/panerai/gp etc, the SA will take out Rolex ss sport models from the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blackmamba24

• Freshie
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2020, 05:11:30 PM »
Visited a grey dealer recently, and been told that lately most of their new stocks are from local ADs/ boutiques. Wonder how to get our hands on any sports model from ADs or boutiques?? ???
Walk in there and tell them you willing to spend 200k on corum/panerai/gp etc, the SA will take out Rolex ss sport models from the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha the TRUTH!  :thumbsup: By the way 200k is annually, you might have to spend a couple of 200k to get your hands on a Rolex sports model depending on its rarity.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »
https://youtu.be/raoRTiOs_Ls

Rolex price reducing.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »

Rolex price reducing.

Had a similar experience like his business friend getting a SS model at an AD just by asking so he might be on to something but don't expect prices to fall like rocks at grey dealers yet.

Hopefully enough people stop paying the premiums so we can finally see SS models at ADs sold at RRP or with some discounts.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2020, 03:07:14 PM »

Rolex price reducing.

Had a similar experience like his business friend getting a SS model at an AD just by asking so he might be on to something but don't expect prices to fall like rocks at grey dealers yet.

Hopefully enough people stop paying the premiums so we can finally see SS models at ADs sold at RRP or with some discounts.

tough bro... is global problem.. thanks to those KOL or celebrities and auction house...I been eyeing a panda Daytona 116500 for ages but still... sigh...

Offline exodus

• Freshie
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2020, 11:23:17 AM »
I wish.....hopefully we'll see some spillover effect for the preowned market too....everything has shot up so much in the last 3 years....the sub LV from 35 to 50....the ss daytona from 50 to 70.....would have been good investments then!

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2020, 04:06:01 PM »
Very slight price corrections seen eg pre-owned Hulk from 60k down to 54-56k. Don't see it plummeting unless the recession drags on. Plus Rolex manufacturing reportedly ceased for about 3 weeks or so.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2020, 07:02:13 AM »
Walked into the Rolex shop 3rd times, still no sign of SS Sports.

But at least the young chap took initiative to inform me that the Wimbledon just arrived and show them to me.

Good sign, hope that next time he'll me the SS Sport.

Offline gunsnroses

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2020, 08:46:27 AM »
I walked into an AD yesterday in KL. To qualify for sport watches, need to spend RM200k, thats what the sales fellow told me. Mind you, I have purchased watches from this guy before, he spoke very seriously about it.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2020, 09:10:52 AM »
I know the tussle between Rolex boutique and consumer started when the grey market buyers are cash tight now during Covid19 and stop buying.

Once grey market customer is not able to buy from Rolex boutique with 200k purchase each time. The buyer market will return.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:16:51 AM by Cocas »

Offline G.MAC

Rolex Prices Tanking
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2020, 09:28:11 AM »
Don’t forget that production stopped for a while. I don’t think there will be a lot of stock. But good if sports models are available once again in the AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:29:44 AM by G.MAC »
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2020, 12:45:57 AM »
Well, if fewer people bought from grey, this problem would also dissipate slightly. The issue here is that many are willing to buy from grey dealer. Myself; I realize now there are watches I can live without :-)

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2020, 01:06:25 AM »
Just to share; shortage at ADs is ridiculous BS. I was recently on an island in Thailand (pre-virus times) and stopped by the only Rolex AD there. They had Green Milgauss, EXP2 and Wimbledon on display. Chatted the SA up, and he brought out some blue dial DJ36 and DJ41 as well as DSSD. Then after more chit-chat, he brought out a box of watches to show me.

What was in there?

2x Hulk
1x Black Sub Date
2x Sub No Date
1x Pepsi BLRO
2x Batman BLNR
1x DBlue
1x Black Daytona
1x White Daytona
1x Rootbeer

I was asked very nicely not to take any pics, or I'd risk getting him in trouble, so I complied (so you'll have to take my word for it). As soon as other customers floated into the store, the boxes disappeared from sight. In that time, I was only offered the chance to purchase Rootbeer; but given the RRP for Rolex is higher in TH, I passed. Again, this was one AD on an island -- I doubt they sell so many regular watches to grey dealers to rack up an allocation like that. Not to mention that few grey dealers are buying from TH to sell elsewhere in the world, due to their much higher RRPs.

My conclusion was that all the other ADs worldwide (including the ones in KL) are just holding out and selling only to their "preferred" customers. And favourite grey dealers, of course.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2020, 11:16:53 AM »
It's time for another "quartz" like crisis to whack those snobbish mechanical watch companies and watch dealers. ;D

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2020, 02:43:19 PM »
I think it is happening now. The rise of the Smartwatch. Unfortunately it does not affect companies like Rolex, Patek Philippe or Audemars Piguet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2020, 07:31:03 PM »
It's time for another "quartz" like crisis to whack those snobbish mechanical watch companies and watch dealers. ;D

:Dancing_banana:

... and then the alarm went off and I woke up...

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline W3ll

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2020, 08:02:11 AM »
Just to share; shortage at ADs is ridiculous BS. I was recently on an island in Thailand (pre-virus times) and stopped by the only Rolex AD there. They had Green Milgauss, EXP2 and Wimbledon on display. Chatted the SA up, and he brought out some blue dial DJ36 and DJ41 as well as DSSD. Then after more chit-chat, he brought out a box of watches to show me.

What was in there?

2x Hulk
1x Black Sub Date
2x Sub No Date
1x Pepsi BLRO
2x Batman BLNR
1x DBlue
1x Black Daytona
1x White Daytona
1x Rootbeer

I was asked very nicely not to take any pics, or I'd risk getting him in trouble, so I complied (so you'll have to take my word for it). As soon as other customers floated into the store, the boxes disappeared from sight. In that time, I was only offered the chance to purchase Rootbeer; but given the RRP for Rolex is higher in TH, I passed. Again, this was one AD on an island -- I doubt they sell so many regular watches to grey dealers to rack up an allocation like that. Not to mention that few grey dealers are buying from TH to sell elsewhere in the world, due to their much higher RRPs.

My conclusion was that all the other ADs worldwide (including the ones in KL) are just holding out and selling only to their "preferred" customers. And favourite grey dealers, of course.

Agree, no shortage at all, spoke to someone high rank in an AD, sport watches stocks are nicely sitting in their safe just waiting for management approval to be sold to whichever customer "deserving"

Offline fitri

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2020, 03:20:47 PM »
The prices started went up due to craze around paul newman daytona. Given few more years I believe that the prices will stabilised once again. Rumors has it that "a corporation" bought it to create demand  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline 2ndOpinion

« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2020, 01:01:10 PM »
Ouch! There will come a time, and soon in this long recession,  when the crazy prices of the steel models crash like Panerai.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Cocas

« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2020, 01:13:43 PM »
Ouch! There will come a time, and soon in this long recession,  when the crazy prices of the steel models crash like Panerai.

Yeah... I will keep waiting its price drops to my affordable price range. :thumbsup:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2020, 02:20:00 PM »

Panerai is no ROLEX so don't hold your breath eh..

Offline 2ndOpinion

« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2020, 02:46:25 PM »

And neither is ROLEX AP or PP eh. The point is any price bubble will risk an implosion, or explosion.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2020, 03:02:57 PM »

And neither is ROLEX AP or PP eh. The point is any price bubble will risk an implosion, or explosion.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for a crash so many of us here can get our desired sport ROLEX models at a discount from RRP but ...

The reason I have yet to acquire a steel Daytona is that for more than 10 years, I have not been able to get a new one at a discount or even retail price and it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. And while I have been waiting, the disease has spread to the GMT and then the Submariner, Yachtmaster, Explorer I/II, Air-King, 41mm Datejusts and then to the half-gold models and then the solid gold models and now to Tudor???

AP is still available, boutique only, in excess of RM100k for steel sports models. Ask for a steel Royal Oak and the SA will snub you.

ROLEX is indeed no PP but it is getting there.

To be honest, more of the people thumping on the issue of watch prices are those looking to sell a piece ...

;D

Offline avabobatea

• Freshie
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2020, 07:11:42 PM »
How do we justify that market is bad when we have to queue/beg to buy a a Rolex? Crazy

Offline echan78

• Freshie
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2020, 09:56:34 AM »
And with certain people justifying playing AD games spending hundreds of thousands just to qualify to be sold a steel lolek is prove that this country is highly properous after all. Where got market bad?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk