Author Topic: Inside the Rolex factories  (Read 3237 times)

Offline takashi78

Inside the Rolex factories
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:29:33 AM »
A very good read. As always reported very well by Mr Rolex.
So many people criticize Rolex for being conservative but after reading this article you would realize otherwise.

http://www.timezone.com/extras/200808025382

Offline peanut

Re: Inside the Rolex factories
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Yes, Rolex has incorporated a lot of advanced manufacturing technologies and most of the Rolex watches are machine made and not hand made.  Most people not knowing Rolex thinking Rolex is expensive because they are hand made - which is usually not true.  Lately, Rolex's innovation is more of evolutionary than revolutionary.  Compared to Rolex of the past, personally I dont think it is as innovative.  May be success can be an inhibitor to innovation. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:25:27 AM by peanut »

Offline kltime

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:17:15 AM »
On one hand a mechanised manufacturing process ensures precision, higher quality and volume. On the other hand the traditional image of artisan watchmakers creating a piece of art that comes to life on our wrists is gone.

My main grouse is that in practically any other industry an automated and efficient manufacturing process leads to economies of scale and lower prices. We know this is not true for Rolex  :HammerHead:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:11 AM »
Rolex approach never change...
They not selling art pieces
they sell high precision technology
they sell reliability
they sell status

so they never sell luxury watches!

Offline takashi78

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:14:38 PM »
Agree with Chris!
No other brand can offer the reliability and robust watch PLUS status symbol better than Rolex at their price point. (Not counting the gold versions).

Only thing i dont like about them is (someone correct me if i'm wrong) they will stop producing parts or maintain the watch if its over 30yrs old?

Offline peanut

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »
... No other brand can offer the reliability and robust watch PLUS status symbol better than Rolex at their price point. (Not counting the gold versions).

Only thing i dont like about them is (someone correct me if i'm wrong) they will stop producing parts or maintain the watch if its over 30yrs old?
What I not so keen on Rolex is exactly the status symbol thing that many people bought Rolex for.  But if you think about it, people who are not in the know also think Bose and Pioneer are the greatest audio/stereo/AV equipment manufacturers.  If money is no object (which of course not usually the case), there are other watch makers which produce reliable and robust watches and with more innovative/interesting design or materials.

Rolex produces good watches.  But personally I will get a Rolex because I like the design (e.g. DSSD, GMT IIc) and not because it makes me look like a rich idiot.   ;D 

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 06:43:25 PM »
Yes. Alot of rich will buy rolex even they know nuts bout watches
that's proof rolex strategy on brand is very successful...
So when I dunno what watch to buy when I hv money
I buy rolex loh n I won't go wrong!

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:24:36 PM »
I may not be fan of lolex but i kinda impressed by the durability & reliability they had put it onto the movement. Apparently it is one of the easy movement to maintain.

Offline peanut

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »
I may not be fan of lolex but i kinda impressed by the durability & reliability they had put it onto the movement. Apparently it is one of the easy movement to maintain.
So is Toyota ... but I kinda like BMW better   ;D

Offline kltime

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 12:09:43 PM »

Anybody knows whether this is true-am interested to know. My Rollie already half life then :Confused:

Offline ZhaoYun

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »
I always like the in-house movement by Rolex ! :thumbsup: