Author Topic: Porsche Carerra or Porsche Cayman without the S  (Read 27937 times)

Offline patek8888

Porsche Carerra or Porsche Cayman without the S
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:39:01 AM »
Hi all,

I am planning to buy either Cayman-> RM270K- RM300K or Carrera->RM340-RM380 (Imported unregistered).
I am not a speed trap buster guy. I just want to own one Porsche.
People around advice me that Cayman 2.7 with 245HP is enough. Cayman road tax is just RM1400
But someone advice me to wait for the Cayman 2.9 with 265 HP.

Some others  said the Carrera have at least 4 seats and higher resell value.
Any comment on which to buy?

Cayman

Carrera

Patek Wong

Offline Sid Vicious

Re: Porsche Carerra or Porsche Cayman without the S
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Personally they both look quite the same to me but I'm no car freak..

Zitan, you may have some idea as you wanting to get one too  :thumbsup:
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline peanut

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 11:14:16 AM »
You seem to have a lot of money to burn wanting to buy expensive car and camera and collecting "expensive" watches but you have no clue what are the things you want or looking for.  I don't know if I should feel green with envy or sad as I am just another ikan bilis trying to pay my daily bills ...

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »
Back seats in any 2 door Porsche is useless.
And those prices seem REALLY cheap for a brand new Porsche. Or are they all used?

Offline ivanswk

• Res ipsa loquitur :P
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »
either one is nice, we envy u
but then a maserati will be nicer  ;D

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »
both handles differently as Cayman is mid-engined while Carrera is rear-engined.

as such, Cayman will have more balanced weight distribution but at the cost of the rear seats...

personally, i'd choose the Cayman S but the Carrera has more bragging rights if both were to meet side by side (think Sub vs YM2)

Offline Alexl

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 11:56:14 AM »
From what I know the cayman is a modern car targeted at the regular driver , easier to handle and etc, whereas the Carrera is more for the purist/enthusiast and retains the Porsche DNA. If I were you I'd just go test drive both models and see which one suits you driving style better.

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 08:15:33 AM »
Cayman for the gutless show off...

Carrera for real men...go for it...be angry with your right foot...slam it hard...push it hard...ride it hard...

u want comfort driving with Porsche badge...go for Cayenne lor....Used can get within those price...

but that is me....

dude...share with us...how u make money ? u print it meh?
hehehhe

good luck

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 03:23:09 PM »
either one is nice, we envy u
but then a maserati will be nicer  ;D

You mean this one, USD125 only  :Laughing_on_floor:

I will go with Cayman...
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline GeekinE90

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 03:05:42 PM »
The standard pre facelift Cayman is all show and no go, for folks who know their Porsche's it's a bit embarrassing to be driving a regular pre-facelift Cayman (maybe for the missus is OK).  I've driven the pre-facelift Cayman S (tiptronic) and facelift Cayman S PDK and the Cayman S PDK with the newer more powerful direct injection engine and double clutch tranny is the one to get if you enjoy driving.  Much wilder, and instant throttle response.  Cayman's handling is sharp and precise but can be less forgiving and nervous/twitchy at higher speeds.  I.e. not as relaxed a drive as a GT cruiser type car. 

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »
No comment from ikan bilis like me as the mentioned cars in the subject is far far away from my reach, only happen in my dream.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Still prefer a normal SUV which enough for me and my family.  ;D
watchManU

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »
No doubt both model is beyond my reach, but if I have the dough, I will go for the Carrera.
It is a pure Porshe, IMHO.

Cheers.

Offline Scuderianer0

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 09:24:32 AM »
Take the carrera.
I drove the cayman s before but not the carrera, it's a well balanced car but if ur planning on buying a pre 09 model(without the pdk) the engine can be quite noisy n rough.

furthermore the carrera is a legend, the cayman as good as it is, just a cayman.

Offline Scuderianer0

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
you should consider the nissan GTR too.
recond 2008 around 410k
cracking car.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 10:31:13 AM »
both handles differently as Cayman is mid-engined while Carrera is rear-engined.

as such, Cayman will have more balanced weight distribution but at the cost of the rear seats...

personally, i'd choose the Cayman S but the Carrera has more bragging rights if both were to meet side by side (think Sub vs YM2)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

one of the better answers

Offline dpkong

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 10:33:54 AM »
You seem to have a lot of money to burn wanting to buy expensive car and camera and collecting "expensive" watches but you have no clue what are the things you want or looking for.  I don't know if I should feel green with envy or sad as I am just another ikan bilis trying to pay my daily bills ...

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

bad answer..

not everyone is as good spending money as they are making it. your tone makes me think if i should feel guilty wearing a Daytona as a daily beater watch when there are so many ikan bilis around

Offline SonnyCooL

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »
That is totally two different car, u can't really compare this two car together :)
Cayman : Entry model of Porsche, u can get this car Brand new (imported Baru, with local warranty 500k-700k depend on spec), porsche try to make it affordable for everyone.

Carrera : Entrance model for Porsche Carrera (keyword, 911), 2+2 Seat (dog seat). ( from 850k to 1.4m local)

A true porsche lover or car enthusiast will go for Carrera,  if prices is not what they concern, GT3 or CST will be their choice, else will go for 911/993 last model of air cool :)

Cayman is build/make for those who dunno anything abt Porsche but wanna taste of porsche :) , other group will be BIG MAN TOY (daily, fun, night drive car) ......

Ur choice of comparison is like Bimmer 1 series vs 3 series :)

Offline ston3r

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 07:35:28 AM »
Actually, as most members has put it, they cayman and 911 are both different breeds. I've had the pleasure of driving both as I was testing cars for a car magazine two years ago. They cayman, as most motor journalists put it sits in between the boxster and the carrera 911, which if u have watched past episodes of top gear, your would have heard jeremy clarkson calling the cayman the cockster. The charts prove the same, the cayman's performance figures sit directly in between the two as well.

Both cars can be used as a daily driver, that's the beauty of porsche, it's never complicated. If you get one with the sports chrono package, it comes with launch control that you can keep using over and over, and it never burns out.

Sure the 911 has more room at the rear but no one ever sits in there and it is unfair to compare the two siblings. One is an older and has a longer heritage laid down in Motorsport history. Porsche also says as long. There was a Ferrari around, there will always be a 911 to challenge it.

The 911 used to be a bit of handful due to the balance of the car, with a heavy engine in the rear it was a nightmare to drive as the back would break loose in corners. Drive it without respect and it'll end up killing you. Come to think of it, it was oretty much the same with older ferraris and lamborghinis. With the new 911s, it comes with so much technology that holds the car in place and one does not need to worry about over cooking it around the bends. It's also the flagship model of the Porsche stable.

The cayman is no slouch either, however you can't help but feel that you've bought the cheaper model if a 911 pulls up beside you at a set of lights. If you do get the cayman, do go for the S, you won't regret it.

Offline Scuderianer0

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »
Get a Carrera S/4S. Recond prices around 400k
For the same money u can get GTR as well which is an engineering marvel

Offline kenixck

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 03:58:32 AM »

start with caymanS, you can always upgrade down the road.
always leave room for improvement.

heck, if you don't like P in the end, you can always switch to F or L.

Offline Chong_9637

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 08:37:33 AM »
is High End Car if i Have Lot Money i buy the Watch is better

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »
Why not wait for Porsche Macan which will be launched next year. Well, i am in a dilemma whether to grab a e200 cabrio this year or wait for porsche macan next year.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »
Dont be a sour grape. If you dont agree with anyone's comment, just state your reason. Why use nasty words? lol
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline bluetuna

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 03:54:48 PM »
If your idea is just wanting to own a Porsche, then go for the Carerrra. 'Carerra is Porsche!!!!!!!!!!!"

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »
Porsche Carrera if you willing to spend a bit more, looks cooler  :)