Author Topic: Watches from Officine Panerai - care to elaborate the system?  (Read 13868 times)

Offline Plankton-IkanBilis

Watches from Officine Panerai - care to elaborate the system?
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:25:45 AM »

This issue has been bugging me for some time. Despite not owning one, I would love to learn more about OP watches...especially the grouping of models, their categorisation etc. Could someone pls give a general overview of the so-called structure since it is almost impossible to see the divisions by just having the reference number ie PAM00380, PAM00356 etc.

Example:

IWC - generally are divided into Portofino, Portuguese, Pilot, Aquatimer, Da Vinci, Ignenieur
upon which they have their reference/model number IW503203, IW500402 etc...

Rolex: Datejust, Submariner, Daytona, GMT etc
upon which they have their reference/model number 116681, 216570 etc

In the case of Rolex, it is easier for me to grasp the category-model number system.
To me, the system is very similar to say for example BMW...3 series
 E21, First generation, 1975–1983
 E30, Second generation, 1982–1991
 E36, Third generation, 1990–1999
 E46, Fourth generation, 1998-2006
 E90, Fifth generation, 2005–2012
 F30, Sixth generation, 2012

For each E21, E30...F30, you then have 313, 320, 335, 325ci, 320d etc. (This system applies to all other series 1,5,6,7 x5,x6 etc)

So back to my question, do OP watches have a similar categorisation/model number? I find it very difficult to see the overview of the categorisation...can be overwhelming for someone not too familiar with OP.

Hope my question makes sense...since the geek in me just need to know  :D

Cheers!

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Watches from Officine Panerai - care to elaborate the system?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »
Not an expert in OP but don't mind to own one  :)

Based on my limited knowledge, generally the categaries are:-
- Historical (manual winding)
- Contemporary (automatic)
- Diver
- Self movement

Await other sifu to chip in.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »

ck77...thanks for the prompt reply...now we have the 4 broad categories (assuming that is the standard acceptance), what goes beyond them...looking forward to more feedback from others.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:50:47 AM »
Basically the watches are classified into the following categories:

Historical
Contemporary
Special edition

The historical collection basically covers watches that looks as close to the original Panerai of yesteryear, featuring hand wind movements.

The contemporary collection features watches that are more..... Contemporary, featuring complications, automatic movements, etc.

Special edition, well special edition.

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
not the expert.... just share with you what i know,

I myself understand it according to the case design

1. 1950 Case (Fiddy) - One of the original design of Panerai. The current production is reproduction of the old era of panerai. The character of it is , 47mm case, come with Fat Crown Guard (As oppose to the newer Luminor Marina Case) Meant as diving tool for italian navy, it was made with big size and huge dial so it is easily visible.Also come with dome glass.... Iconic hour marker of 12, 3, 6 and 9 with that specific font. More refine cutting edge as compared to slightly boxy luminor marina case.

2. MIni Fiddy - Same case as fiddy, but smaller. 44mm, so known as mini fiddy.Fat Crown Guard. Intorduced in 2005 i think.

3. Radiomir - No crown guard, 45mm, instead of having solid shoulder, they used steel wire to hold the straps. So basically, the strap dont come with steel tube. The strap would wrap around the pre-fixed steel wire. Big crown, no crown guard.Named after the hazardous lume paint used those day. The radiomir. Nowadays they no longer use that materials but the case name remained.

3. 1940 case - It look like radiomir and also a bit like fiddy case... no crown guard, but with solid shoulder instead of steel wire

4. Luminor Marina - Originally named after the material used to replace radiomir. Born in early 90's. 44mm case (also available in 40mm) with crown guard albeit thinner than the iconic 1950 crown guard. Solid shoulder. More boxy shape than the 1950 case.

5. Luminor Submersible. 45mm, box shape (almost identical to luminor marina) but come with rotating bezel. Solid Shoulder

6. Egiziano....the biggest PAM in the catalogue, 60mm case, flushed in crown guard quite unique..

7. Luminor Chrono, basically luminor marina but with tachymeter marking on bezel

8. Panerai Mare Nostrum - Perhaps the only panerai that dont look like typical panerai....long history...chrono function

The others are variation of models with added feature like GMT, power reserve,, slightly different dial, sandwich dial, normal dial, different movement but all base on the above case.....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 11:12:36 AM by mnazri.tan »

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 12:03:42 PM »
Basically the watches are classified into the following categories:

Historical
Contemporary
Special edition

The historical collection basically covers watches that looks as close to the original Panerai of yesteryear, featuring hand wind movements.

The contemporary collection features watches that are more..... Contemporary, featuring complications, automatic movements, etc.

Special edition, well special edition.

The above provided by Ivan are the correct official categories of PAMs.

Just to add, as far as case design goes :

i) Luminor (can be distilled further to submersibles, 1950, bettarini (the standard luminor 44 mm case) ). Note : a luminor with seconds subdial is known as a luminor marina. A luminor base is a model without any subdial or dates..the basic 12-3-6-9 (the favourite of most ristis)

ii) Radiomir (including the 341 egyptian-yeah I know, it is also a radiomir despite the difference in look) - cushion shaped case without crownguard. A radiomir with a seconds subdial is known as black seal.

iii) Mare Nostrum (either the pre-v styled case at 42mm and the PAM 300 historically correct mare case of 52mm)

iv) "1940" case- currently only being used by the 398 & 399

Each model will also carry a millesimation number to indicate the number produced for that particular year starting from pre-A/A : 1997 to currently O (2012)- an example would be: M249/300 which would indicate watch number 249 out of 300 pieces produced in 2010. This applies to regular production as well as SEs.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 03:49:56 PM »

Thanks everyone for the very informative guide :thumbsup: Still hoping to get more response especially among OP fans as to how they track/categorise their watches.

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »

Thanks everyone for the very informative guide :thumbsup: Still hoping to get more response especially among OP fans as to how they track/categorise their watches.

Not sure what categorization youre looking for, its basically Historic (luminor (bettarini & subs)) ; contemporary (luminor (bettarini & subs) & Radiomir); Special Edition (Luminor (bettarini & subs); radiomir, mare nostrum & 1940 ). There's also another category which is "specialties"- the tourbies are under this category and so is the Equation of TIme.

Each just like your example in your original post would be assigned the designation PAM 00xxx. PAM stands for PAnerai Model
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:13:54 AM by zameenzahari »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 06:49:12 PM »
great replies from everyone. but either i'm too biased against Panerai or the naming/style/casing/model-number conventions are just too confusing to make sense of.

Offline JPamAP

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
Basically, Panerai divided into three categories as below

Luminor
Radiomir
Submersible

There are historic, contemporary, specialties, SE and boutique edition...etc among those three categories....collectors collect 3 of them, some do not fancy with submersible...it's all depends on your liking or preference.

They are still a lots more about Pam?....its movements, production like Pre V, year of production.....etc.  nice history...

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »
If you're wondering about the numbering system ie: 390, 337, 000, 005, 111 and so on...
I do not think there is a system... some risti can correct me.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »
Good luck on the categorization. I try having 1 model for each case. Found out that's serious flaw in that strategy. I'm up to 5 and there no even close to complete my theme.

Maybe it would help if you get to talk to one of us in person. The topic is way too long to type in a post and my fingers are soured enough as it is.  :-\

Regards
Tyler

Offline dpkong

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 07:40:28 PM »
Good luck on the categorization. I try having 1 model for each case. Found out that's serious flaw in that strategy. I'm up to 5 and there no even close to complete my theme.

Maybe it would help if you get to talk to one of us in person. The topic is way too long to type in a post and my fingers are soured enough as it is.  :-\

Regards
Tyler

enabling at its best eh???

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 09:11:57 PM »
Hans,

Be like me, get a catalogue. If you have an iPad, you can download the latest catalogue. If not your local ad will be glad to help. If all fails, go to the panerai website and request for one. Your local panerai rep will either ship one to you or ask you to collect from the ad that they send it to.

Offline SeaDwellerR

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »
Just to share my general view (without taking into account the differences of dial, movements, special edition, limited edition, boutique edition and special functions like chronographs etc):-

Luminor / Luminor Marina - These models are more rugged and sporty. It has the signature Crown Guard of Officine Panerai which is a Registered Trade Mark.  The word "Marina" will normally means that it has a seconds hand.  Just to name a few famous examples which I have learned during the course of this year:- PAM 26K, 000, 005, 111, 112, 127 Fiddy, 195, 203 (the holy grail with 8 days movement), 217 (famous MM dial), 312, 320, 351, 360 (the community watch for Paneristi), 372 (the most wanted watch in year 2011-2012), 390 (the very nice boutique edition), latest release like PAM 422 etc.

Radiomir - These models are more dressy and elegant. With the exception of PAM 341 Egiziano which has the crown guard, these Radiomir models are normally with screw in crown only.  The more simple it is the more beautiful.  Examples are: PAM190 (famous with JLC 8 days movement), PAM210, the ever stunning PAM232, PAM292, PAM380, PAM339 (who can forget this beautiful browny!), new SIHH 2012 release like PAM399, PAM424, PAM448 (California Dial), PAM449 (SLC) etc.

Submersible - These Models are the real divers version of Panerai.  It also has the signature Crown Guard of Officine Panerai. The water resistance are generally high.  They look huge and rugged. Some made of titatium to reduce the weight.  Panerai has just released a Titatium and Ceramic version of this Submersible watch namely PAM389, very beautiful indeed.  Few examples are: PAM24, PAM305, PAM 371 and PAM382 (the famous Bronze watch).

Mare Nostrum -  This is one of the most distinctive looks of any Panerai.  As kindly shown and posted by MnazriTan in his post.  These models are much more classic and regarded as more "vintage". History goes back to 1940 and the watch was provided by Rolex for the use of Italian Navy.  Examples are:  5218-301/A, PAM 300 etc.

Ferrari Edition - These watches are by its name self explanatory made for Ferrari.  They don't look like Panerai at all.  Generally very expensive.  No examples of my head as I am less interested in these models.  The references normally like FER001 FER002 etc.

Purdey / Sealand for Purdey -These watches have a lid to cover the dial of the watch.  Created for James Purdey & Sons.  The lid has engraving of like lion, tiger etc.  No examples of my head as I am less interested in these models.

With the above categories, you can choose what you want and start from there.
Say for example you want a diver's watch, then go for Submersible. 
If you want a dressy watch then go for Radiomir. 
If you want sporty and manly look then go for Luminor. 
Mare Nostrum is for real collector, I believe at least. 
Ferrari and Purdey not my cup of tea.  :Confused: :Dancing_banana:

There can some special edition like "Daylight" and "Slytech" etc.  These are just like the "Legacy" and the "Rubben Barrichello II (RBII)" in Audemars Piguet. Nothing too difficult to understand really. 

Having said the above, this post consists of my general view only, the list is not exhaustive.  I do not own a PAM just yet. I have started to learn above Panerai only this year and I am still learning and find it interesting to learn in many aspect.

For those who are interested, there is a website with namely Paneraisource.com which is very helpful if you want to check out the list of models of Panerai. In fact I started to learn from this website and slowly go into public forum.  (Believe it or not, I have clicked on all the watches on the list just to check it out!)

I spent my lunch time just writing this post! Hope this assists!  Haha... :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: :Cheers: :Cheers:

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 08:31:34 AM »
Here is another perspective of the collection from a historical point of view. I leave out the prototype so that it's not too confusing.

1930s to 1950s Vintage, GPF era (before Panerai make watches for general public)

47mm case
3646 (similar to the look of modern radiomir case)
6152 (imagine the PAM 372 but without crown guard or 399 without the sub seconds hand)
6152/1 (the model the PAM 372 is paying tribute)
6154 (6152 in a slimmer case profile aka small egiziano )

60mm case
GPF 2/56 (aka Big Egiziano this is what the PAM 341 is paying tribute to)

1992 to 1997 Pre Vendome era or PreV (1st time Panerai making watches for general public)

44mm case
Luminor (base model only hour and minute hand)
Luminor Marina (added sub second hand at 9 o'clock position)

42mm case
Mare Nostrum (chronograph)

1997 to present Post Vendome era or PAM (Panerai being bought by Richmont Group SA)

Here we will find

Radiomir
40mm, 42mm, 45mm, 47mm even ... 48mm! :o and comes with all sort of complication(split second chrono, gmt, ...etc)  and movements (JLC, Piaget, GP, Minerva, ... )

Luminor
44mm, 47mm

Submersible (big and thick  :shocked1:)
44mm, 47mm

The PAM era model number system is quite straight forward. For example, PAM 372 O series

PAM = Post Vendome period
372 = Model Reference Number
O = Year it was release in this case 2012.

So if you find a PAM 372 N series it means the watch is make in 2011.

Hope this help

Regards
Tyler
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:55:36 AM by Godzillaz »

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 09:07:29 AM »

A big THANK YOU to everyone namely Godzillaz, SeaDwellerR (sacrifising your peaceful lunchtime :)) , hanz079, JPamAP and Zameenzahari for the inputs.

Was hoping for a simpler and less complicated way...but I guess not...can been rather overwhelming for an `outsider' unless one is a true blue OP lover.

Cheers!

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 09:13:15 AM »
Don't mention it.  ;D

This is why we have forum.

Regards
Tyler

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 10:53:40 AM »
Don't mention it.  ;D

This is why we have forum.

Regards
Tyler

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mwf is lovely with the presence of Godzillaz, hobbits...
Our watchpedia that always proactively sharing their deep knowledge in watches...

Offline SeaDwellerR

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 08:39:25 AM »

A big THANK YOU to everyone namely Godzillaz, SeaDwellerR (sacrifising your peaceful lunchtime :)) , hanz079, JPamAP and Zameenzahari for the inputs.

Was hoping for a simpler and less complicated way...but I guess not...can been rather overwhelming for an `outsider' unless one is a true blue OP lover.

Cheers!

Anytime Bro. Hope its not too confusing. I like Godzillaz's way of categorizing it in historical order as well.  We all learned!  Thank you!

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 08:58:09 AM »
For a second I thought you said provocatively sharing ... ... LOL

Must have been the fume of fogging around me these few days.  :-\

Thanks Chris

Regard
Tyler

Our watchpedia that always proactively sharing their deep knowledge in watches...

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »
Or u too use to my style... Shooting every1 online... Or provoking for fight everyday, add fuel on fire some times...But look and actually lovely in person... Lol

So this is a rare compliment from me... Hence a sincere one... Also a precious one!!!

For a second I thought you said provocatively sharing ... ... LOL

Must have been the fume of fogging around me these few days.  :-\

Thanks Chris

Regard
Tyler

Offline STT1987

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »
Thanks for all the useful info. Great stuff for new Panerai owner like me.  :Dancing_banana:
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline Abner89798

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »
Historical (manual winding), Contemporary (automatic), Diver and Self movement is what you should pay attention to.

Offline JayJay

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »
Dear Hans,

I look at this website for more clarity and PAnerai Model(PAM)

http://www.paneristi.com/reference/sortable_database/millesimation.html