Author Topic: Yes or No - Watch Winder  (Read 3769 times)

Offline RyanLiang

• Freshie
Yes or No - Watch Winder
« on: March 16, 2021, 07:07:05 AM »
I been to many shop to ask the pro and con to place my Rolex in watch Winder and let it run 24/7.

Would like to seek opinion here.

Thx !

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline David_cheong

Re: Yes or No - Watch Winder
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 11:05:21 AM »
Please share your pro & con on your feed back.

Anyway, I put mine on 24/7. No issue.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 10:24:09 AM »
I don't subscribe to that idea, but that's just me.

Putting watches on a winder is leaving it on all the time, even when not in use. One does not do that to a car, why do that to a watch? Both are mechanical contraptions that experience wear n tear with use. Maaaaaybe it might make sense if it were a perpetual calendar complication that's a pain to reset. Maaaaybe one has the monies to pay for the service costs, for it to not be a consideration. Me, I'd rather not. I would wear what is in rotation, and occasionally wind everything else in the box every 1-2 months just to keep the parts oiled. That's about it. My collection is predominantly simple 3 hand movements anyway, so no issues.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 12:56:40 PM »
I have a watch wonder. But don’t use it anymore. Maybe because Covid caused me to stay home more often and only going to work once a month. But in any event, I don’t feel that I need it anymore. I wear my watch, everyday and wind it up only on the weekends.

So a watch winder is subjective. One may say it’s useful, while some will find it unnecessary.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 04:25:16 PM »
I use a winder, but it's true according to the Rolex SC - it is equal to continuous usage and the wear and tear of the watch increases with the use of the winder, though convenient. I turn off the winder at times for some of my watches and let the power drain, and then maybe put it on back again after a few days. I keep my PAM off the winder (some straps dont fit) most of the time - hence it becomes my daily beater to keep it running (the power reserve indicator is such a blessing). The only one I really keep on the winder most of the time are those with dates...especially with the Exp II where there is no quick set date!

Offline XuinTan

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 10:05:59 PM »
For me I use to put in winder.. but never switch on power 24/7..
Only switch on for few hours/day