Author Topic: Rolex price appreciation  (Read 9966 times)

Offline Gentlemen101

Re: Rolex price appreciation
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2022, 10:13:45 AM »
Either u hv some real sweet connection with your AD (with some purchase history like some veterans here) or u can bite the bullets and go grey.

Unfortunately, that’s the only way to get Rollies now..

Why on earth AD wanna sell you a Daytona for 50k+ when current market price is close to 200k?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 10:16:14 AM by Gentlemen101 »

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2022, 10:37:35 AM »
Either u hv some real sweet connection with your AD (with some purchase history like some veterans here) or u can bite the bullets and go grey.

Why on earth AD wanna sell you a Daytona for 50k+ when current market price is close to 200k?

Daytonas always commanded a premium. Many years ago in the early 90s, (yes I am that old) I saw a white dial Daytona on the window display with a price tag of RM17k, these were the days when Subs were 8.5 to 11k, GMTs were about 11k, Explorers around 10 to 11k. Datejusts were about 9k. I was so excited and immediately went in to enquire if it was for sale....The salesman said sorry, we had to display as we are expecting an inspection from Rolex and we cannot show that we were hiding watches. Even then the premium that was requested was 50% more than list price. Rolex frowned upon selling watches at a premium but it was tolerated. Just don't get caught.

However now there is a strict policy, any AD found selling at a premium will have its dealership terminated. So have to look for other ways la, cari makan ma. To me Rolex can kill off the grey market with a simple decision but they won't do it as the branding will suffer. So in a way Rolex has become a victim of its own success. My 2 sen la.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2022, 10:39:06 AM »
Sabor je lah  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2022, 10:47:41 AM »

Daytonas always commanded a premium. Many years ago in the early 90s, (yes I am that old) I saw a white dial Daytona on the window display with a price tag of RM17k, these were the days when Subs were 8.5 to 11k, GMTs were about 11k, Explorers around 10 to 11k. Datejusts were about 9k. I was so excited and immediately went in to enquire if it was for sale....The salesman said sorry, we had to display as we are expecting an inspection from Rolex and we cannot show that we were hiding watches. Even then the premium that was requested was 50% more than list price. Rolex frowned upon selling watches at a premium but it was tolerated. Just don't get caught.

However now there is a strict policy, any AD found selling at a premium will have its dealership terminated. So have to look for other ways la, cari makan ma. To me Rolex can kill off the grey market with a simple decision but they won't do it as the branding will suffer. So in a way Rolex has become a victim of its own success. My 2 sen la.

But why wld Rolex wanna offend the conglomerated grey when they are enjoying the sky high value all brands can only drools at?

Looks what happens to Panerai when they offended the grey….until today,.they never recover (in branding and value)

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2022, 01:21:32 PM »

i guess its just to depend on personal taste...not everyone want a Daytona...i thinks its just prestige/branding/marketing/hype/ demand and supply/ in house artisan/ legendary horologist...retail rm50k but current market price is rm200k...holy cow!!!

if i want a model with Chronograph or Tachymeters  (the best buy prices for me is Zenith El Primero or any current METAS Moonwatch with lovely current bracelet)

or my grail if Choronograph with current blues 50th Snoopy..even though i really against with gimmick of reissues of model...but that is really beauty... 

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2022, 01:50:20 PM »

But why wld Rolex wanna offend the conglomerated grey when they are enjoying the sky high value all brands can only drools at?

Looks what happens to Panerai when they offended the grey….until today,.they never recover (in branding and value)

Precisely my point but you forget that Rolex must pass some profit to the AD. So for every MSRP watch Rolex sells, Rolex does not make as much. In the old distribution model this is ok. In the current environment where the market prices are greatly distorted, Rolex cannot be happy. They see their watches being sold at way beyond what price point they sell to the ADs. The profit is being eaten by the grey market. I am sure Rolex would wish to tap into this as well but they can't like you said due to the branding and other concerns. They will probably increase incrementally until the market corrects itself. Remember the media post in Hodinkee where they said Rolex is not responsible for the final allocation of watches? This is not quite correct because ADs have no control over what they get.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2022, 10:45:54 AM »

while all the discussion is about ADs have secret deals with grey and VVIP getting watches when new customer do not etc etc..

Did anyone ever wonder why grey sellers are SELLING their stock if the price increment is so fast and good? If it's such a good investment, why SELL? Why not keep it and wait for price to keep going up?

And if ROLEX were to announce in March/April after their new product launches, that their factory upgrade is complete and they can now produce 5x more watches per year and that all waitlist orders will be fulfilled by end of 2022, what will happen to all the watches you bought at 2-3x retail price? Will you still love it as much? How many will still pick up the watches they ordered?

Price appreciation still guaranteed?

Think hard before you jump into the grey market trap....

Of course advice doesn't apply to easy money....

Offline revvd

• Freshie
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2022, 07:39:14 PM »
I jumped into the grey bandwagon and purchased 2 two toned Daytonas. One for the wifey.

The reason was mainly to scratch the itch, and also because of the fact that being a nobody, I would probably need to play the AD game for a good few years, even then, Daytonas are supposedly the hardest to get.

That's the whole purpose of this thread (and so many threads that came before)

And no, my money was hard earned. Down to every single cent.

To each their own. For me, I'm a happy owner of the Rolex. Do I regret the purchase? Nope. But I would likely never buy another Rolex anymore off grey, that's for sure. Itch scratched.

And onto why grey dealers sell, it's just liquidity. Why wouldn't you sell, when you can still get loads of new AD stock over and flip?

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2022, 06:37:06 AM »
Instead paying 140k for Pepsi Oyster, im more enjoy wearing my Swatch

Offline Squirty

• Freshie
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2022, 07:33:28 AM »
Myb I'm not a VVIP or not really honour the "Crown"...hmmm... i still in "waiting list or wish list" as AD says..anyway it's just a basic Submariner without date.. monthly drop by just to say hai to Rolex AD at Klang Valley for past 3 years already , they had watches in their display. Some is 29mm/Bling2 and Cellini..some of "Hot Model" is "For Exhibition Only'. They said they had zero watches to sell during Christmas/CNY and have no idea when anything will be coming in.

It's true they says that we will can buy AP Offshore than Daytona at MRSP boutique /AD if we have luck?? Basically how many months or years need to wait??

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk

Going back 10 years, the Submariner was a watch that people didn't want because it didn't have a date, unlike the Submariner Date. You could always get it at a great discount from grey market. I still recall looking at them in the display cases for about RM12k and the grey dealer just shook his head and said don't buy because will lose money when trade back to him to upgrade.. and in his words "because in the end you won't like it and will surely want to trade it back to me"....

Now suddenly everyone wants to buy it? Has tastes really changed so much?

And ADs have watches to sell.. just depends who is asking. They definitely have quite a bit in the safe at the back.

Unfortunately, you want to buy what everyone else wants to buy and everyone hopes to hit the jackpot as well..

So it's not so much about being a VVIP or "honour the crown" but more about the friendship you have with an AD and how convincing you are that you're not just one of those flippers. Granted I must admit it's really difficult to talk to any salespeople in a Rolex store in the Klang valley as they give really cold answers when you ask them questions so I guess it's going to be more tricky than you would imagine.

IMO its all about moving the other brands. Ridiculous bundles popping up throughout AD's such as spending 150k on a house brand to be entitled to a Rolex sports model. besides the grey dealers, the AD's are making a killing selling all the unpopular models from their own house brands.

That being said, i know alot of people who justify buying from grey market dealers
1) dont have to put up with the staffs "lansi" attitude
2) dont wanna hold too much cash. Easier holding a Rm1m Patek then 1m of cash
3) view it as a viable investment. If you bought a daytona few months back from a grey dealer, you'd make at least at 25% profit. What could be better?

I do miss those times where u can put your name down on an AD's wishlist and wait for that wonderful call or text from your SA. You drop what u had to do and rush to the AD to pick up your dream piece. Guess we wont be experiencing that anytime soon again.

Offline Squirty

• Freshie
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2022, 07:37:25 AM »
I jumped into the grey bandwagon and purchased 2 two toned Daytonas. One for the wifey.

The reason was mainly to scratch the itch, and also because of the fact that being a nobody, I would probably need to play the AD game for a good few years, even then, Daytonas are supposedly the hardest to get.

That's the whole purpose of this thread (and so many threads that came before)

And no, my money was hard earned. Down to every single cent.

To each their own. For me, I'm a happy owner of the Rolex. Do I regret the purchase? Nope. But I would likely never buy another Rolex anymore off grey, that's for sure. Itch scratched.

And onto why grey dealers sell, it's just liquidity. Why wouldn't you sell, when you can still get loads of new AD stock over and flip?

I agree with what you said about the dealers, its a quick flip for 10-15% . good money. And no one knows where the market will go, i notice there is a trend in the watch brands. For example if you notice Richard Mille's are softening now,but the prices of rolex and pateks are still going up.

Its a crazy game and ive seen some grey dealers who literally made tens of millions sitting on old stock.

Offline dzul.ain

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2022, 09:21:19 AM »
It is definitely the dealers or flippers market nowadays and I have given up looking at Rolex prices. I still love Rolex but probably not strong enough to go the where the price is now.

"Low ballers would be ignored" statement is becoming a cliche.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Squirty

• Freshie
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2022, 09:40:31 AM »
yep, i guess thats the new norm. dont foresee it dropping anytime soon though. that being said i heard that the market is moving watches slowly at the moment.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2022, 10:00:44 AM »
yep, i guess thats the new norm. dont foresee it dropping anytime soon though. that being said i heard that the market is moving watches slowly at the moment.

investors are hesitating which is good news for potential buyers....  if the market stagnates long enough, there might even be a correction.... or better still, a crash....

Offline Squirty

• Freshie
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2022, 11:40:05 AM »

investors are hesitating which is good news for potential buyers....  if the market stagnates long enough, there might even be a correction.... or better still, a crash....

a correction will be good, as it is happening now. Crash, IMO is unlikely. Unless someone is hoarding a big bunch of this pieces and floods the market.

Offline VMok

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2022, 12:47:39 PM »
Which Daytona is 50k now & costing 200k

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2022, 12:38:30 PM »
Instead paying 140k for Pepsi Oyster, im more enjoy wearing my Swatch
now drop to 120k mark. hand itchy

Offline VMok

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2022, 06:15:54 AM »
120k is not for brand new 2022 right? Probably 2020 new or 2021 used?

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2022, 06:22:10 AM »
120k is not for brand new 2022 right? Probably 2020 new or 2021 used?
it is brand new 2022

Offline VMok

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2022, 08:23:44 AM »
From which shop I am interested also then lol

Offline wkwk92

• Freshie
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2022, 08:16:43 PM »
Bought my dj36 jubilee at 36k on feb 2021. Now it’s selling around 48 for a brand new ones.

Did I missed anything ? What drives the insane appreciation on the last 1 year ?

Would really like to acquire some OP but the price tag is too absurd for my pay cheque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hmkpwatches

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2022, 09:53:32 PM »
OP is ridiculous. i was pushing AD to see if i could get a red one but now some of the nice colors also DC so no luck. the grey market ones are crazy.

all the prices just went up to absurd numbers but they did a minor correction. seems prices are pretty stable now or at least will be for the next couple of months then probably hike again.

in my opinion, NFTs crypto all these new fast money markets have given rise to alot more "disposable" income to people and they are looking for alternate investments and watches fit the bill.

ive got friends that were barely paying off their camrys and civics before and are now in Porsches and buying luxury goods after 1 year in crypto markets.

Madness

Offline wkwk92

• Freshie
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2022, 06:39:01 AM »
Been going to check with AD/boutiques for more than a year and you have a point, we need more than luck to be able to pick up one.

Was really surprise how the OP is flipping in a sky rocket manner and even the least hype color (black, discontinued white) are at least 60-80% over the retail price.

With the points that you have mentioned, it seems like the money getting poured into the market are in a sigjnificant amount that’s drives the growth and in unlikely event it will get down much in the near future ?

Guess I have to start exploring something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Squirty

• Freshie
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2022, 11:25:29 AM »
so far the market looks on the uptrend. Price stabilised but climbing back up now

Offline VMok

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2022, 12:19:54 PM »
For March I thought it came down a bit on grey market on the back of China lockdown and Russia-Ukraine war, but I think it’s coming back up