Author Topic: Rolex price appreciation  (Read 9965 times)

Offline ry

• Freshie
Rolex price appreciation
« on: February 03, 2022, 05:01:15 AM »
I am sure this seller ,herng0326 ,is glad that his batman wasn't sold when he first offered it for sale here in 2016

https://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php?topic=17250.0

Sold this year,I would assume he made more than 100% from the price he was seeking in 2016
Well done if you had hold back
 :Dancing_banana:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 05:04:14 AM by ry »

Offline avabobatea

• Freshie
Re: Rolex price appreciation
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 07:43:56 AM »
Hi..

How much can sell for 2021 hulk? Not brand new. Worn and few scratches. Saw FB asking for 110k and I think this is crazy price even though I hope there are buyers willing to pay for it.

Offline kram45

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 09:12:13 AM »
The rate at which prices of Rolex watches go up yearly, it is outrageous. I have to hand it to them, they have a good management because I know a lot of friends that are on queues to own a Rolex watch.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 09:41:17 AM »
Hi..

How much can sell for 2021 hulk? Not brand new. Worn and few scratches. Saw FB asking for 110k and I think this is crazy price even though I hope there are buyers willing to pay for it.

You can see on chrono24 what people are asking although I doubt any really sell at those prices, despite what grey dealers tell you during the weekly FB live sessions...

Would love to add a hulk to my collection but they're discontinued and prices are more than ridiculous.. maybe I should get a starbucks at retail to swap...

Offline ry

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 09:53:23 AM »
dpkong.....with your connections maybe you can get Starbucks at retail
Any Rolex at the moment is close to impossible from AD.
I am still waiting for my DAYTONA ...and that's about 4 years ago
Like they say ROLEX IS INHERITED... :HammerHead: your kids will inherit the waiting

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 11:04:50 AM »
dpkong.....with your connections maybe you can get Starbucks at retail
Any Rolex at the moment is close to impossible from AD.
I am still waiting for my DAYTONA ...and that's about 4 years ago
Like they say ROLEX IS INHERITED... :HammerHead: your kids will inherit the waiting

Getting a Rolex from AD is not purely about connections, it's about how you view the watches.

Many simply view them as profits, thinking they can fool an AD with their made up stories and then wanting a steel Daytona as a dream watch, bla bla bla... everybody and his/her grandma knows you can flip any sports model for a profit when you walk out the door.

Most ADs pick and choose the clientele because they don't want to answer to management when a watch they just sold ends up at a grey dealer. Hence you can see why many grey dealers doing live or online sales will try to cover up the serial numbers to prevent tracking. But if you walk into the store, you can still see the number and it can be checked.

Notice I said most ADs since there are of course those who do work with "friends" to get watches to the grey dealers.

The rate at which prices of Rolex watches go up yearly, it is outrageous. I have to hand it to them, they have a good management because I know a lot of friends that are on queues to own a Rolex watch.

There was a time, not long ago, when most models simply sat on shelves for months/years and the SA had to try his best to sell you one without having to give too much discount..

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 03:37:49 PM »
Hi..

Anyone can ask a high price. I am more keen to know who is buying at the asking price. A lot of hot models, the prices are through the roof. Try asking dealers or private buyers to pay close to that sum and you will see a lot of hesitation and shuffling of feet.

Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 05:57:54 PM »
Hi..

Anyone can ask a high price. I am more keen to know who is buying at the asking price. A lot of hot models, the prices are through the roof. Try asking dealers or private buyers to pay close to that sum and you will see a lot of hesitation and shuffling of feet.

It is now like the gold/share market and I have heard stories from a few "investors" over the CNY period where they are bragging about the profits made over the last year buying and selling watches, specifically Rolex and AP.. which is not unbelievable seeing how much some models have gone up in asking prices.

But the real question now is will it continue to go higher or will it suddenly deflate to a more realistic level? And when it deflates, do you really love that RM190k steel Daytona you bought which is nearly 4x retail?

And don't compare them to 5711 because Patek aren't selling that anymore.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 04:44:33 AM »
Hi..

It is now like the gold/share market and I have heard stories from a few "investors" over the CNY period where they are bragging about the profits made over the last year buying and selling watches, specifically Rolex and AP.. which is not unbelievable seeing how much some models have gone up in asking prices.

But the real question now is will it continue to go higher or will it suddenly deflate to a more realistic level? And when it deflates, do you really love that RM190k steel Daytona you bought which is nearly 4x retail?

And don't compare them to 5711 because Patek aren't selling that anymore.

In my opinion, whatever gains are paper gains unless the value is realized by selling it and actually receiving cash. As for discontinued models, it makes you wonder if anything is truly discontinued. Recently, the AP 15202 was replaced with the 16202. Everyone is trying to bring the focus on the discontinuation element to justify the high price. The way i look at it, the 15202 just got upgraded and its replacement don't look much different but the movement just had a worthwhile upgrade. I would not be surprised if the 5711 receive the same treatment as the movement is already lagging behind its contemporaries. And with the rumor mill active with rumors of a new Nautilus within the next few years, makes me wonder who is able or going to sustain the current pricing of the regular 5711. But back to the daytona you mentioned, i agree with you on the desirability factor you mentioned. So whatever gains you see now, until realized, are just hypothetical numbers that "someone" earn.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline W3ll

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 06:51:21 AM »
Hi..

Those people I know that are constantly fueling the grey market prices are the insurance agents, real estate agents, investment agents, MLM agents and also those that need to wash their money clean with a luxury piece. Also a lot of people are buying it for the wrong reasons, buying into the advice of the grey dealers that "if you don't buy today, you pay more in the future"

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 08:03:31 AM »
i dont understand why...will many AD's give up their Rolex Agency....AD has high costs/overheads for Rolex space but no inventory to sell...so is that economically sustainable for them??....if there any backdoor agreement with grey dealers??? give kickback???

Offline W3ll

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 08:52:50 AM »
i dont understand why...will many AD's give up their Rolex Agency....AD has high costs/overheads for Rolex space but no inventory to sell...so is that economically sustainable for them??....if there any backdoor agreement with grey dealers??? give kickback???

AD has the inventory to sell, is just that the watches never need to appear on the display shelf to be sold. The watches already have ready approved buyers even before the inventory arrives.

Besides AD is having their best sales season ever the past 1 year + , because all the other brands they carry in their store are selling off the shelf as well becaue people are buying them up for profile building.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 01:23:32 PM »

People are obsessed with stories of profile building and grey dealers having deals with AD for kickbacks.. then use this as justifications for buying from grey dealers..

Not sure how many really spend hard-earned money at grey dealer prices but my guess income from grey sources would be spent at grey locations as well...

Nowadays all grey dealers using the same sales pitch "if you don't buy today, you pay more in the future" and using previous months pricing as reference.. sounds so much like those MLM salesman asking you to buy SWISSCASH investments...

And anyone who buys other brands even though they don't like it just for "profile building" smells so much like a potential grey dealer... let's hope they get their sport watch allocation before the bubble pops....

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 02:20:04 PM »
Price isn't everything, but dealers are the ones who make it matter.

I was surprised to discover that really flat "sports models" like the Air King and Polar E2 are now priced in 50-80k region. This is a FOMO effect that many people seem to be falling for. If my AD were to offer me either model today, it would still be an easy pass for me.

Offline swleong

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 03:15:58 PM »
I start to think that some of the grey dealers are creating an "artificial demands" for those sports models.

How many will actually buy Daytona/GMT/Subs at 3 to 4 times the MSRP? Those popular models at some grey dealers are normally snapped up/reserved immediately, then few days/weeks later pop up again for sale (not sure the same watches or not as I never verify), but at higher prices. And this has been going on for quite a while now.   

Stop feeding the grey people. Those who can make money by flipping are those who got the watches at retail prices. Those who got from grey dealers, you better love the watches more than the extra premiums you paid.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 03:18:04 PM by swleong »

Offline W3ll

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 04:59:12 PM »
I start to think that some of the grey dealers are creating an "artificial demands" for those sports models.

How many will actually buy Daytona/GMT/Subs at 3 to 4 times the MSRP? Those popular models at some grey dealers are normally snapped up/reserved immediately, then few days/weeks later pop up again for sale (not sure the same watches or not as I never verify), but at higher prices. And this has been going on for quite a while now.   

Stop feeding the grey people. Those who can make money by flipping are those who got the watches at retail prices. Those who got from grey dealers, you better love the watches more than the extra premiums you paid.

They are indeed people paying that kind of price for the watches, in fact you find some members here who paid 6 figure price tag for a batman

Offline dpkong

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 06:05:51 PM »

They are indeed people paying that kind of price for the watches, in fact you find some members here who paid 6 figure price tag for a batman

Easy come, easy go.. people who buy at high premiums are those who play the stock market and other games of chance or have interesting sources of income....  no sensible person with hard earned money would throw it like that..

Offline swleong

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 06:59:35 AM »

Seeing Daytona going into Lange 1 price territory, the world is indeed getting crazier.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 09:28:49 AM »

Easy come, easy go.. people who buy at high premiums are those who play the stock market and other games of chance or have interesting sources of income....  no sensible person with hard earned money would throw it like that..

From what I know, some grey dealers actually buy from other grey dealers setting an "eco-system"...and because of the 90% buy back guarantee, many "investors" are willing to take the risk as their "loss" is capped at 10%, but the return potential is perceivably higher. Problem will come when there is an over-supply and when the grey-dealers themselves cannot sustain their "eco-system", but until that time, we will see more and more unsuspecting new "grey dealers" emerge along with FOMO investors - and this will continue to drive prices up. It's not a Malaysia problem, it's a Global one.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 09:35:28 AM »

From what I know, some grey dealers actually buy from other grey dealers setting an "eco-system"...and because of the 90% buy back guarantee, many "investors" are willing to take the risk as their "loss" is capped at 10%, but the return potential is perceivably higher. Problem will come when there is an over-supply and when the grey-dealers themselves cannot sustain their "eco-system", but until that time, we will see more and more unsuspecting new "grey dealers" emerge along with FOMO investors - and this will continue to drive prices up. It's not a Malaysia problem, it's a Global one.

reminds me of 2 people sniffing each other's fart, saying how good it smells and when they get enough people to join in, it becomes the next trending aroma...

Offline W3ll

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 10:41:21 AM »

Good point, that explains why they can continue to fuel the price up.

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2022, 11:53:26 AM »
Myb I'm not a VVIP or not really honour the "Crown"...hmmm... i still in "waiting list or wish list" as AD says..anyway it's just a basic Submariner without date.. monthly drop by just to say hai to Rolex AD at Klang Valley for past 3 years already , they had watches in their display. Some is 29mm/Bling2 and Cellini..some of "Hot Model" is "For Exhibition Only'. They said they had zero watches to sell during Christmas/CNY and have no idea when anything will be coming in.

It's true they says that we will can buy AP Offshore than Daytona at MRSP boutique /AD if we have luck?? Basically how many months or years need to wait??

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk

Offline dpkong

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2022, 01:22:31 PM »
Myb I'm not a VVIP or not really honour the "Crown"...hmmm... i still in "waiting list or wish list" as AD says..anyway it's just a basic Submariner without date.. monthly drop by just to say hai to Rolex AD at Klang Valley for past 3 years already , they had watches in their display. Some is 29mm/Bling2 and Cellini..some of "Hot Model" is "For Exhibition Only'. They said they had zero watches to sell during Christmas/CNY and have no idea when anything will be coming in.

It's true they says that we will can buy AP Offshore than Daytona at MRSP boutique /AD if we have luck?? Basically how many months or years need to wait??

Going back 10 years, the Submariner was a watch that people didn't want because it didn't have a date, unlike the Submariner Date. You could always get it at a great discount from grey market. I still recall looking at them in the display cases for about RM12k and the grey dealer just shook his head and said don't buy because will lose money when trade back to him to upgrade.. and in his words "because in the end you won't like it and will surely want to trade it back to me"....

Now suddenly everyone wants to buy it? Has tastes really changed so much?

And ADs have watches to sell.. just depends who is asking. They definitely have quite a bit in the safe at the back.

Unfortunately, you want to buy what everyone else wants to buy and everyone hopes to hit the jackpot as well..

So it's not so much about being a VVIP or "honour the crown" but more about the friendship you have with an AD and how convincing you are that you're not just one of those flippers. Granted I must admit it's really difficult to talk to any salespeople in a Rolex store in the Klang valley as they give really cold answers when you ask them questions so I guess it's going to be more tricky than you would imagine.

Offline W3ll

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2022, 01:42:21 PM »

If you have never bought any watches from the AD before, is almost 0% to get allocated. If you really want that watch so badly perhaps you could start looking at other brand and buy what you like and then i am sure the conversation for the rolex would be a little bit easier.

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2022, 06:13:22 AM »

Going back 10 years, the Submariner was a watch that people didn't want because it didn't have a date, unlike the Submariner Date. You could always get it at a great discount from grey market. I still recall looking at them in the display cases for about RM12k and the grey dealer just shook his head and said don't buy because will lose money when trade back to him to upgrade.. and in his words "because in the end you won't like it and will surely want to trade it back to me"....

Now suddenly everyone wants to buy it? Has tastes really changed so much?

And ADs have watches to sell.. just depends who is asking. They definitely have quite a bit in the safe at the back.

Unfortunately, you want to buy what everyone else wants to buy and everyone hopes to hit the jackpot as well..

So it's not so much about being a VVIP or "honour the crown" but more about the friendship you have with an AD and how convincing you are that you're not just one of those flippers. Granted I must admit it's really difficult to talk to any salespeople in a Rolex store in the Klang valley as they give really cold answers when you ask them questions so I guess it's going to be more tricky than you would imagine.

I understand bro, in term of "friendship" and how to convincing we are not "professional flipper"....that is subjective..its just like a begging to salespeople at AD...some says just conversation on Horology/luxury watch industry...bla..bla...bla..the way we portray our self (myb come to AD in 3 layer suit  ;D ;D)....must have account before or bought any watch from the AD before...bla..bla...bla..Unfortunately, the thing i want to buy also like everyone else wants to buy as well...in microeconomics we call its demand and supply....

Anyway i did bought my watch at AD before, but just a dressy Omega Aqua Terra 8800 movement...maybe i try to others brand as others sifu suggestion... :D...