Author Topic: Exotic buckles  (Read 4665 times)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Exotic buckles
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »
A small review of a couple of buckles I got from FineWatchBuckles based in Germany. Their buckles are not the run of the mill buckles we are use to. The buckles they make are from materials we would not normally associate buckles with. They use raw material like wood, ivory and plastics.

In the review below, the buckles are made of curled Ash Tree, coloured and stabilised. The buckles have a very nice finish and are well made. I have tried to break them (within reasonable force) and they are pretty robust. I doubt you would have any problems with the buckle if worn daily.

The buckles are held to the strap via a spring bar and since the buckles do not come with a tang (bolt), the makers work with a tang/ bolt supplier called Maddog. Since their tangs are large and tough, the spring bars are also not your common garden variety spring bars. These are large.

The first buckle, finish in green, fitted with a copper tang.

The buckle has a flat top and comes in at a lug width of 24mm. In fact all the buckles here are 24mm.

The spring bar access hole. You can see the finish of the buckle. It is well made.

The bottom part has a tapered center. This makes the buckle sit flat against the strap and does not 'cut' the strap.

The blue gray version. I love the wave like grain on the buckle.

Fitted with a Damask bolt.

Again with a flat top. I tried scratching the top surface with the tang, but it does not scratch easy.

The bottom of the buckle.

The blue one. This buckle is a tad more refine in that it has a curved top and more 'shape'.

The bottom, note the tapering.

Side view. The spring bar access. Beautiful colour and finish.

The three together. You can see the different profile of the buckles.

Nice buckles. Not something you see everyday.

Offline danny

• Administrator
Re: Exotic buckles
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:58:26 AM »
I learn something new on this forum everyday.
First time I've seen these exotic buckles, especially the unusual surface finishing which shows the wood grains very nicely.
Keep the reviews coming and thanks for sharing.

:Cheers:

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:32:56 AM »
Thanks to master hobbit for this exotic buckles review, after reading this I do check out the webpage of FineWatchBuckles.
"WOW" is the only word I can describe. really like the buckles, now thinking how to obtain my wifey's "approval" to purchase one of the buckles or more.  ;D

by the way, master hobbit. how many buckles you bought from FineWatchBuckles?
watchManU

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »
Truly eye opening. Thank you so much for the review.

Love the 3rd one you show, the "blue", kinna remind me of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:25:43 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

U r da man for sure

Pls show me these next time

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
Thanks to master hobbit for this exotic buckles review, after reading this I do check out the webpage of FineWatchBuckles.
"WOW" is the only word I can describe. really like the buckles, now thinking how to obtain my wifey's "approval" to purchase one of the buckles or more.  ;D

by the way, master hobbit. how many buckles you bought from FineWatchBuckles?

Hi watchmanu,

These buckles are for review purposes. I will return them once I have reviewed them .They are very unique and there are more.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 08:51:44 AM »

Hi watchmanu,

These buckles are for review purposes. I will return them once I have reviewed them .They are very unique and there are more.

More. Yes.

They are definitely unique and very cool.

I'll be waiting for your review(s).

Thank you so much.