Poll

What would be your choice?

Daytona 116520 white
Deep Sea Sea Dweller

Author Topic: Rolex Dilemma  (Read 18963 times)

Offline yinhonwong

• Freshie
Re: Rolex Dilemma
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2012, 08:54:07 PM »
i fail to understand the raves on the SD or DSSD. furthermore, the Daytona has a chrono which some may use but the SD or DSSD has only got the helium escape valve and going underwater for 1000++ metres which sadly, none of us will likely ever use unless it's a one-way trip.
Absolutely agreed.
However, attention seeker may find that offensive :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline sm

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 09:35:35 PM »
Daytona has a history, in Rolex stable as well as in the chrono market. For yrs up to now, daytona s/s carries the flagship for rolex in the sports range. It is the only Rolex watch that trades at a premium over its LP.

DSSD truly comes alive after sea dweller is discontinued. All these while, probably cos of the pricing or the thickness, it is less popular than the sub or the gmt.

To me, the daytona is one of the most comfortable timepieces of all rolex watches for 6.5-7 wrist, along w datejust 36mm. The finishing is one of the finest, a complete detailing and design meant for the daytona only. If you are into design or tooling, you will appreciate the efforts and attention that go into making the daytona; rarely found in a sports watch.
Both the models are equally desirable, you cant go wrong on the sports marque. If you are in something more rugged and robust, go get the DSSD. If you wish for a 'more gentle' sports model, go get the daytona. As explained by our bros, forget about the function, a casio will probably serve you better.

If you are getting it preowned, then I think daytona will hold its pricing marginally better. You wouldnt lose much on the SD too. Go surf Spore and HK and it will give you a better picture of the pricing.

It is all strictly my opinion n I hope I wont get bombed again for my comments. The journey in choosing your grail is the most exhilirating ride. Enjy the ride.

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »
Daytona has a history, in Rolex stable as well as in the chrono market. For yrs up to now, daytona s/s carries the flagship for rolex in the sports range. It is the only Rolex watch that trades at a premium over its LP.

DSSD truly comes alive after sea dweller is discontinued. All these while, probably cos of the pricing or the thickness, it is less popular than the sub or the gmt.

To me, the daytona is one of the most comfortable timepieces of all rolex watches for 6.5-7 wrist, along w datejust 36mm. The finishing is one of the finest, a complete detailing and design meant for the daytona only. If you are into design or tooling, you will appreciate the efforts and attention that go into making the daytona; rarely found in a sports watch.
Both the models are equally desirable, you cant go wrong on the sports marque. If you are in something more rugged and robust, go get the DSSD. If you wish for a 'more gentle' sports model, go get the daytona. As explained by our bros, forget about the function, a casio will probably serve you better.

If you are getting it preowned, then I think daytona will hold its pricing marginally better. You wouldnt lose much on the SD too. Go surf Spore and HK and it will give you a better picture of the pricing.

It is all strictly my opinion n I hope I wont get bombed again for my comments. The journey in choosing your grail is the most exhilirating ride. Enjy the ride.

Very well said steve
Jacky Wong

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »
I can not agree on the view in terms of usefulness on these modern Rolex sport model.

First thing all mechanical watch are pretty much useless when compare to digital or quartz. Any discussion should just end right here. Everyone should only go home with either a radio control Casio or quartz Citizen if we talk about usefulness.

I know we need justification for buying an expansive toy (that's what these watches are anyway) and I think usefulness is a bad benchmark.

Is like asking what's the practical use for the ability to run very fast in a short distance. None! Unless you are a thief. Then person like Usain Bolt shouldn't exist. Or his only career is to be a thief  :laugh:

The history of SeaDweller is rich and in terms of usefulness (back in the days anyway) the SD beats the daytona hands down.

The SD was never meant to be a civilian watch. It's sole purpose is to be a diving instrument for saturation diver (deep dive). Co-develop with COMEX. Rolex really fulfill the spirit of Tool Watch with the SD.

This is the reason the SD was not popular. It wasn't meant to be sold for the mass market. Until ref 16600, the SD need to be special order from the AD. Almost impossible to see any ready stock. While the manual Daytonas a plenty and not selling. That's right. No living soul wants a Daytona until Rolex introduce the automatic version, 16520. That's 1988, not too long ago.

Interesting trivia, the SD along with Explorer and Milgauss are only available in stainless steel. Why? Do you need a gold or 2 tone tool watch?

Now the GMT, Subs, Daytona are available in all kind configurations. (Diamond Leopard skin! :o)  I think Rolex knew the who these watches they are selling to and that's why Rolex made them.

Yes, no one with a desk job really need a watch that weight a ton and depth rated for 4000m. Actually no one really need a watch since cell phones and computer can do the job.

Are we into watches because of it usefulness? or because we are passionate bunch and resonate with other human spirit. The brave one who dive down to 600m, the strong who climb up to Everest and a watch company who will dedicate its resources to develop a watch that will never fail you when take it to the extreme. (I love the spirit of the old school Rolex)

Again please don't feel offended. I just wish to share the story of SD. A watch that still carry the old spirit of Rolex. (Rolex official if you reading this, do something on those skinny bracelet on the DSSD so that I can wear it!!)

PS Jacky any one of these 2 model are fine watches but it's not exactly comparing apple to apple so you won't find a clear answer here.  ;)
Regards
Tyler

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »
I totally agree with Tyler....
But the competition in quite in tense now 18 to 21....
I am slightly leaning towards Daytona now...
Jacky Wong

Offline SeaDwellerR

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2012, 09:36:10 AM »
Well said Tyler.  :thumbsup:

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2012, 02:13:25 PM »
Jacky either one n you won't go wrong ,also both command the highest list price for a SS rollie watch.. regards tony..

Offline ckcspice

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »
DSSD bcos daytona is the only rolex sports watch that i think is ugly, which i have never even considered buying....pls dont flame me....just my personal opinion... :Startled:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »
I will ask myself

1. Do I need a date or a chrono?
2. Which one look better?
3. Which one I would like to wear? In what occasion? How often I gonna wear it?
4. Maintenance cost is an issue to me?

N lastly

Which one my wife won't get angry or less noticeable....

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »
I vote DSSD over the Daytona. If it was a black daytona, I would have voted for it. But either one you choose, it will be the right choice in the end. Asal ada beli after results are known, that is the most important factor.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »
DSSD bcos daytona is the only rolex sports watch that i think is ugly, which i have never even considered buying....pls dont flame me....just my personal opinion... :Startled:

And then there are those who like it so much, they have to buy 2 or more Daytonas....   :Cheers:

... currently looking at acquiring a meteorite dial...

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »
The meteorite is a wonderful dial.

The photos by this owner is amazing. It really show off the detail of the dial.

Regards
Tyler

And then there are those who like it so much, they have to buy 2 or more Daytonas....   :Cheers:

... currently looking at acquiring a meteorite dial...

Offline ckcspice

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »
that meteorite dial does look awesome!!!....

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder , n one man"s meat is another man poison.  regards tony..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
that meteorite dial does look awesome!!!....

it sure is sweet!! thanks for the pictures Tyler.. good boost for my urge..  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: