Author Topic: Watch brand/type and profession  (Read 10540 times)

Offline zuki

Watch brand/type and profession
« on: March 05, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »
Hi guys! :)
Just want to throw a new topic regarding above subject.
I am working in education sector and here in Japan, the trend is like many young scholars like to wear big watch like Breitling or Omega Seamaster...I ever heard that in US, many professional in financial sector like to wear Panerai.. How about in Malaysia?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: Watch brand/type and profession
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »
malaysian cant afford for all these.... young professional earning in malaysia is low.... :Laughing_on_floor:
to buy a panerai... a fresh graduate need to work 6-8 mths in bank to buy a basic pam model if he/she dont need to pay for eat/sleep/transport/etc at all....

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »
yeah man.... ppl staying overseas may have car payment.

our grads here have car and watch monthly payment  :Laughing_on_floor:

still remember my first foray into the working world. after deducting rent, car, parents, petrol, parking, toll and etc... i can only afford to budget RM15/day for food  :'(

need to save more if wanna go for a date on the weekends  :Laughing_on_floor:

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline zuki

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 04:57:42 PM »
Here in Japan, some shops do offer installment pay for brand watch...and there is a phrase where "get your first automatic brand watch at 300,000 Yen (around rm10800..) at the age of 30s.." 

Offline Alice

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 07:57:17 AM »
Cheer up everybody...... Heard Cortina is offering installment for purchase of watches  :thumbsup: Worth check out for those who wants to own expensive watches.

:) Alice

Offline takashi78

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:35:59 AM »
Almost all places offer installment if you have the right credit card.
But again i say buy within out own means is best.

Offline sshark

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 10:35:43 AM »
The way the bankers make it as if u dun hv to pay anything. It is NOT FREE, interests free only, you still have to repay the principle. It is spending ur future income. Hypothetically, if u keep going with these interest free installments, ur kids will end up taking over ur loan once u r not able to repay ur installments.

Offline Alice

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
The way the bankers make it as if u dun hv to pay anything. It is NOT FREE, interests free only, you still have to repay the principle. It is spending ur future income. Hypothetically, if u keep going with these interest free installments, ur kids will end up taking over ur loan once u r not able to repay ur installments.

Hmm Shark..... Its true. The purchase is not FOC. Eventually one has to pay up.

Alice

Offline Fred

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:53:01 AM »
To me, the principle is to get a watch within my own mean. Stretching the money just for temporary contentment is not a brilliant idea.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 12:00:55 PM »
Hey.

I thought purchasing a house vie home mortgage and car under hire purchase is the norm.

So pursuing your dreamt watch vie interest free installment is ok?. After all its an honest payment as you are paying the principal sum minus the interest...Remember the theme...enjoy now and pay later...under your means...as long as you don't have to pay through your nose...

e.g; Buy (now) that Sub Date now vie 12 months interest free payment, or save up for another 3 years to buy the same watch (only to find that the watch had increased by say...30%) by then . and continue saving??. You tell me, which is a better choice?

Would you save for the next 20-30 years to buy your dreamt house in cash??. I don't think so...ok, I know..it a matter of perspective, but then again, life is short...how many times ten years a human got??

So relax and take things easy, pay within your means and enjoy your life to the fullest....what say you?

2 cents worth.
dc

I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline sshark

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 07:31:44 PM »
e.g; Buy (now) that Sub Date now vie 12 months interest free payment, or save up for another 3 years to buy the same watch (only to find that the watch had increased by say...30%) by then . and continue saving??. You tell me, which is a better choice?

I don't follow the logic here. It takes 1 year to pay off the installments but it takes 3 years to save & to buy the same watch. If you charge to ur card, u r legally committed to it and there is a very serious consequence if u can't pay back. OTH, I could start saving for a year or 13 months if the price of the watch has increased 10%. in case of emergency, I still have the cash with me and I am not legally oblige to buy the watch if I can't afford then. the worst case, i dun get to enjoy the watch.

Comparing a house, a car and a watch. Generally, a house will retain its value (unless u choose a bad neighbourhood), a car can be sold off easier than a watch. Furthermore, a house and a car r necessities in KL whereas a watch is just an accessory which u can live without.

What I said didn't not apply to ppl with more than ample $$ and financially secure in all aspects.

To me, the principle is to get a watch within my own mean. Stretching the money just for temporary contentment is not a brilliant idea.

Totally.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:52:00 PM by sshark »

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 05:45:49 AM »
I don't follow the logic here. It takes 1 year to pay off the installments but it takes 3 years to save & to buy the same watch.

Nothing logical here. Try force saving / payment to save as per leisure and you know what I mean....

I am not sure which one is easier - a car can be sold off easier or flipping your watch....But do remember, the value of the car can be depreciated as much as 40% during the first 3 years...Your sub and house won't

Acquising your watches is a hobby. Not too sure if one person dump all his / her saving on their hobbies. Surely must have spare cash to turn over during emergency?

Relax and takes it easy.......life is short...

2cts ..
dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 05:51:58 AM »
 :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

yes, collecting watches is hobby to me.... i spend my leisure n xtra $$$ on watches...
but again, u always find a lot of hardcore collectors.... they even spend his live to collect..... this is personal....

buying watch with loan/easy payment is not wrong either..... if u manage your credit well....
most ppl manage the $ well.... but rich ppl manage the debt well.... they dont spend their money, they spend yours......

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline peanut

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 05:58:37 AM »
Hi all,

I think your discussions are not relevant to the original question!  The question was which watch brand is popular for which profession (if I understand correctly).  As far as I can tell, Panerai and Rolex are popular and IWC seems to be popular in this forum   :)   I am not aware of specific brand popular for a specific profession but can probably guess that IWC and may be Breitling will be common within pilots   :D

Offline SpL!tB@sHeR

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 06:13:03 AM »
aiyoh....my advice is...purchases of time pieces should not be steered by peer pressure. Prioritise what is important in life first. Do not spend money you do not have, i'm not an advocate of easy payment and swipe card/pay later method. All the finer things in life will come in good time. In short....no money dont buy la for the sake of showing off!! Just an advice  :Cheers:

Offline JPSP

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 06:13:27 AM »
i'm a newspaper seller and i own a modest collection with a varied of brands.. :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:..it's what sings to me that matters.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 07:29:30 AM »
James, u called what you own is modest collection... :mooning:  :Laughing_on_floor:... btw i am a bricklayer and i am looking forward to upgrade my status to "Ingenieur" :Jumping:

Offline sshark

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »
If u make specific comparisons e.g. a sub vs a Merc or Audi.. u r probably right. OTH, if I take Rado vs. MyVi I could lost 40% on Rado and 20% on MyVi within a year.

Life is perceptively short if 1 is enjoying. :)

I am not sure which one is easier - a car can be sold off easier or flipping your watch....But do remember, the value of the car can be depreciated as much as 40% during the first 3 years...Your sub and house won't

Acquising your watches is a hobby. Not too sure if one person dump all his / her saving on their hobbies. Surely must have spare cash to turn over during emergency?

Relax and takes it easy.......life is short...

2cts ..
dc

Offline zuki

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 03:50:29 AM »
Hi all,

I think your discussions are not relevant to the original question!  The question was which watch brand is popular for which profession (if I understand correctly).  As far as I can tell, Panerai and Rolex are popular and IWC seems to be popular in this forum   :)   I am not aware of specific brand popular for a specific profession but can probably guess that IWC and may be Breitling will be common within pilots   :D

Never mind blancpain...any opinion relevant or not relevant are welcome ;D..btw, just found another statement..why the world politician love Patek Philippe from time2.co.uk...how about politician in Malaysian...what is their common watch?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 05:18:35 AM »
Cant say much bout politician but i once went to the customs dept in putrajaya and saw 2 higher ranking officer talk to me and saw then wearing 2-tone blue dial sub.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 06:43:37 AM »
Hi all,

Never mind blancpain...any opinion relevant or not relevant are welcome ;D..btw, just found another statement..why the world politician love Patek Philippe from time2.co.uk...how about politician in Malaysian...what is their common watch?

Seen photos of Azalina; the butch former sports and youth minister, wearing a RM in the newspaper.

Also the "infamous" son-in-law of our former PM and also Hishamudin were spotted wearing PAMs

Najib with a Chopard.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 02:16:13 PM »
i am in construction line..my Project Manager (Irish) wearing Omega PO XL, my client's Engineer wearing Pam (both Luminor & Radiomir) , Client's Cost Manager with Maurice Lacroix (Titanium) and my GM with Casio.. :Laughing_on_floor:

and i saw it in newspaper photo the "Infamous" Singapore Film director Jack Neo with Pam Luminor as well :thumbsdown:

Offline peanut

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 02:30:15 PM »
i am in construction line..my Project Manager (Irish) wearing Omega PO XL, my client's Engineer wearing Pam (both Luminor & Radiomir) , Client's Cost Manager with Maurice Lacroix (Titanium) and my GM with Casio.. :Laughing_on_floor:

and i saw it in newspaper photo the "Infamous" Singapore Film director Jack Neo with Pam Luminor as well :thumbsdown:

I agree ... too many PAM or Rolex out there ... and that's why I have not get one of them myself.  Instead, I prefer the more oddball brands such as Alain Siberstein, Blancpain, AP, GO   ;D

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 03:29:44 PM »
fortis is also a good choice le...  :thumbsup:

Offline zuki

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 06:54:01 PM »
fortis is also a good choice le...  :thumbsup:
talking about fortis, when i first got the watch as a present, i didnt know at all this brand, and make me check the web, but now i am confident wearing it... :)