Author Topic: Changing bracelet deployment clasp  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Yoda

Changing bracelet deployment clasp
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:43:15 PM »
Hi there

Years ago already learn how to adjust bracelet link and the lug spring bar

Its kind of passion to DIY as you may have noticed some AD staff may not do the job with great diligence hence DIY would give oneself a great satisfaction.

Now almost equipped well with the watch tools,  my next challenge is to replace the bracelet deployment clasp.

Anyone out there has changed before? Mind sharing your experience and some advice

Thanks and cheers
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline spacewalker

Re: Changing bracelet deployment clasp
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:59:24 PM »
hi yoda

It might be help if you post the picture also. From my experience, disassemble the metal bracelet might be challenging rather than the rubber or leather strap. You need a very high quality spring bar pin remover. Don't forget sellotape/masking tape to cover part of your watch lung preventing it from scratch. Replacing the bracelet deployment clasp might be easy, just be careful not to scratch it. I had always see some or most staff at AD and I really don't like it , they will hit using the small hammer to remove the pin for metal bracelet. For me that is not good way to remove the metal bracelet link for mechanical watch. That will effect the movement by applying shock to the watch. DIY might be good but make sure you have a very high quality tool like Burgeon not like mine buying at some plaza, Rm50 for whole watch tool. Truly suck. Almost wreck my watch. My suggestion is, all watch shop should used high end multi function pin remover to protect watch from scratch and exccesive shock.

Offline rfc

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
I would also be keen to hear peoples experiences here?  I am also in the market for a good watchmakers toolkit, are these readilly available locally and if so where is the best place to find them?

Offline Yoda

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 07:23:58 AM »
Good advice to mask the masking tape, I have not thought about it.

This forum is good to seek for info and share info, I got the watch shop dealing with watch tools from this forum. The watch shop is at Komplek Selangor neat the Petaling street at Jalan Sultan KL.

Attached some pictures. You are really right the quality of the tools count as earlier I couldn't find the tools that I want, I went to ordered from the internet. The tool is not helping but instead scratch the watch. Meanwhile the Swiss made tool is really excellent. You can feel the meticulous.

Don't really know about this brand until you mentioned, Bergeon

Basic tools

Never heard about this brand but its really smooth and delicate compare to the the one I ordered from the net. Its made in Swiss

Can you notice the tip which is very sharp? Thats from the net. The other other really handy. Price 3 times more

Tools storage system

Now these tools are used for adjusting the links and the lug spring bar. My challenge is how to replace the clasp? It looks very tough. Anyone got the experience please share or advise.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:35:50 AM by Yoda »

Yoda

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »
Way to go ! that is the tool that I'm talking about. So do you buy that tool from that shop you mention?  Bergeon is a reputable company. I hope to get their spring bar remover tool for my collection. That masking tape is important to prevent the scratch. My suggestion is, you could do the replacing the claps or adjusting the bracelet by yourself but leave the important job like inspecting the movement by open the case back to an expert. Those movement and gasket is very delicate and need extra care. Moreover it is very difficult to open the case back especially the snap back one. Happy to share bro!

Offline Yoda

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:09:36 AM »
Thanks brother mhdrhd

Got the tools from the shop I mentioned.

Finally consulted the watch shop fella and its easy to replace the clasp.

Your point noted brother

Yoda