Author Topic: Newbie's numerous queries  (Read 4250 times)

Offline new_bie

Newbie's numerous queries
« on: September 10, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
sifu sifu sekalian
I am a newbie when it comes to mechanical automatic watches.
I've been reading the forum and found out that there are many info that one can learn here.
I'd like to get some advice from all the sifu here...
I am thinking of getting an automatic watch that is between RM8k-RM10k
1. Is it true that all automatic watches at this range need to be serviced on a periodical basis?
2. I read that the service charge is around 10% of the watch cost. How often is this periodical ? Once every 5 years?
3. I'm thinking of a dinner watch (a fancy one). Based on affordability & my limited knowledge, I've seen Baume et Mercier & Maurice Lacroix... any other brand that is within my range and makes good dinner watches?
4. However, as I read this forum, seems like ML and BM is not that famous. There are comments that ML makes good watches but they only focus on Asia (thus less popular in EU and US). There are not many comments on BM.
5. Some of the Tag Heuer also falls within my range, but seems that Tag is not that famous here. Any particular reason(s)?

Sorry for the many questions, but the advice from the sifus here are greatly appreciated.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: Newbie's numerous queries
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:20:31 PM »
Welcome.

As to your questions.

1. Yes, all mechanical watches need to be serviced periodically (4-6 years) as the lubricant will dry up over time.

2. Costs of servicing a watch varies from brand to brand but 10% sound close.

3. Dress watches that you mentioned are quite good. I once owned a Maurice Lacroix and I have no complaints. No experience of BM though.

4. Actually in this forum, we're interested in watches... does not matter what brand. Search around and I am sure there are a few ML owners here. for BM... I am not too sure.

5. I dun see tag watches being unpopular here. In fact, the forum owner Danny wrote a detailed review on the Tag 1887 and he owned one. Search around... this forum is loaded with info, if you don't find what you're looking for, just start a new thread... I am sure plenty will chip in.

Enjoy your stay here.  :Cheers:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline ckcspice

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »
get a pre-owned rolex....many options for ur budget :)

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:46:52 PM »
Hi , welcome to MWF, add a little more n get a all purpose watch , like a pre own no date sub ( 14060m) or a explorer 2(previous model). For a dress watch with leather strap, you need to change it after wear n tear n thats not cheap either( nearly 4 figure). At the end of the day, u have to make your own decision, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. just my opinion, tony

Offline mykita

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »
I would recommend checking out Junghans Meister Chronometer or Muhle Glashutte Antaria for a classic look. They also make nice automatic watches at that price.

If you can pay more check out Dornbluth. I do not know the exact prices but I think you can get one for a few thousand more. That is definately on my wish list once I can figure out what customizations I want from Dirk :thumbsup:

Good luck.

Offline Plankton-IkanBilis

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:55:43 PM »
Spare about rm120...go to Kinokuniya KLCC...get a copy of Wristwatch Annual 2012...read up about watch company's history, movements, and also look at the type and design of watches that suits your taste and budget.

Then with some knowledge in hand, get more info from the net...good luck!

Offline BBouvier

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 03:29:23 AM »

1. Yes, all mechanical watches need to be serviced periodically (4-6 years)
as the lubricant will dry up over time

Sorry, but you are wrong.
Modern lubricants do not dry up any longer.
And they have not done so for many many years,
because those lubricants exsit for decades already.
Some experts say:
"You just wait until that movement starts to be slow or stops."
And others:
"Ten to 15 years between services will do."

2. Costs of servicing a watch varies from brand to brand but 10% sound close.

Service costs depend on in which country you live ... and also:
what watchmaker and what kind of movement?
Over here, in Germany, it is about $90 US.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As to Baume et Mercier and  Maurice Lacroix:
Both excellent Swiss watches, though not very known (and bought) in Europe.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Tag Heuer" ?
Great watches of excellent and highest quality!!  :thumbsup:
... just to dream of! ....

Regards,
BBouvier
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:01:30 AM by BBouvier »

Offline new_bie

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 07:46:10 AM »
Fellow Gurus
Many thanks for the prompt replies.
Pre-owned sounds like a good idea. Rolex...a brand of accomplishment. Both no date Sub & Explorer 2 look cool, but i'm more inclined to a dress watch, or well.. at least one that has leather strap and looks more "conventional". If only I could afford a dress watch from Patek and/or Rolex.. but i couldnt.
IWC is cool, the Portuguese is a fine watch; but out of my reach - leaving me with B&M or ML if new Swiss watch. The german watches look cool too. Now I am getting more lost in selection.
If aiming for pre-owned, what models do the Gurus here suggest i be on the lookout for?

Thanks again ~

Offline cokacoka

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »
If it's a dressy watch you are looking for, I would suggest

1. a preown PP Calatrava (15k onwards depending on condition and material)

2. Vintage Rolex?
[NO link to commercial sites as per forum rules - Forum Mod]

3. Omega Seamaster Vintage (this is within your budget)

4. Cartier Tank (manual wind and quartz)

To be honest, these watches maybe slightly/alot more than your budget. It could be worthwhile saving for them. But you got to consider that some of these are vintage and maybe reconditioned, parts changed, etc. Having said that, if you have a budget of 15. You could possibly go for alot of new watches.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:38:26 PM by takashi78 »

Offline rusminag

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 11:50:48 AM »
Go for Fred Const in-house heartbeat lines... all dressy, cheap and in-house technology...
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex