Author Topic: Damage  (Read 16071 times)

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
Re: Damage
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »
hahahahaha. Hobbit. I wont get too unset when sxxx happened. Its part of life. But from your watches, you look to be rather 'careless' to be a watch lover???
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline sshark

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »
The moment I saw the ding my heart sank . sori to see tat happen to ur precious watch :Mad:

i still can live with light scratches but not ding or deep scratches, i will get upset but not losing sleepz over it hahahha

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 12:00:50 AM »
hahahahaha. Hobbit. I wont get too unset when sxxx happened. Its part of life. But from your watches, you look to be rather 'careless' to be a watch lover???

Hahaha perhaps I am. I use to work on planes and when I was working I have my watch on all the time. So there are times it will get 'caught' on wires, tubes, pipes etc, hence the scratches and dings. Same now I guess even though I have long retired. I still use my watch when I wash the car, cook, bathe the dog, hike etc.

My boss, well ex from a long time ago use to have a Breitling Aerospace (hence my facination with and want for the watch) which never left his wrist. The watch has many scratches and dings and whatever else thrown at it. It has been in water, soap, hydraulic fluid, coke (yes it is true, we use coke to clean parts of the aeroplane) and even avgas (big name for kerosene - plane fuel) and the watch keeps on ticking.

The other watch is the Rolex GMT Master. It has been through much and had a Rolex rebuild in the 80s. Well, this is one watch I would not wear on a daily basis and get scratched or dinged, but to me the watch was worn for the purpose it was made, to be worn.

The same for any of the watches I have today (save the GMT Master and the Snowflake). I wear them. The watches are suppose to be tool watches and I wear them as such, even the Panerai. Been through a number of straps with the Panerai.

I am in the process of getting the crown and stem tube on my MKII Stingray replaced as it fell when I was wearing it and someone knocked into me and caused the watch to fall. The crown got dented and is now jammed against the stem tube. Can't get them separated, so have to replace the pair. Did not lose sleep over it (once I found out that Bill still has parts for has parts for the watch, a concern I have with small independent watch guys but that is another story). 

I am not saying that you should use your watches like me, I can be a tad careless, it is true, but to me, a scratch, a ding, although not welcome, is part and parcel of owning and wearing and collecting watches. It serves as a memory of what has happen in my life and the life of the watch.

Offline shahzh

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »
I am not saying that you should use your watches like me, I can be a tad careless, it is true, but to me, a scratch, a ding, although not welcome, is part and parcel of owning and wearing and collecting watches. It serves as a memory of what has happen in my life and the life of the watch.

Nicely said.. :thumbsup:

Offline Plankton-IkanBilis

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 10:37:02 AM »

To all watch owners with dings and scratches...Taking the philosophical route could well be the best option in life...look on the bright side, it could have been worse. :Cheers:

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »
small scratches still acceptable for me. But I'm more peculiar about water... like rain water. I always cover my watch with my shirt when walking under the rain even if the watch is WR ;D

Offline shahzh

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 05:59:23 PM »
1200 fine grit sandpaper can do wonders to your brush / satin watch case too  :thumbsup:

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 07:59:22 PM »
I see. I see. So you are an aerospace engineer? Well, unless i have only one watch. Otherwise, i will not do that to my watch. There are more than enough watches which are really to do certain tough and rough works for me. Dont think i will ever wear AP, IWC, rollie or pam to work in farm.  :Laughing_on_floor: But anyway, i got your point.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »
imagine the crystal of the watch becomes like this :Startled:

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »
I don mind small scratches but not big and obvious scratches  :-[

Offline HusH

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »

Offline JayJay

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 06:33:49 PM »
No problem,

Its repairable,
Msia bolih.. I met nice mr guy at a shop in amcorp mall,
I think he can fix it.

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 09:59:15 PM »

Offline HusH

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 10:30:51 PM »
How would one repair a forged carbon case? Cape cod?  ???

@Laktos Kid
The bezel at 12 to 1 is severely dented. So are the lugs. Dents all over the bezel too.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »
The better question is how does the fellow wear the watch and what did he use it for? That is an expensive watch and unless he is involved in an accident or he purposely abuse it, I dont see how the watch should be damaged in that sense.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2012, 01:05:53 PM »
now i notice the damage, my god i wonder how the owner damage forged carbon ! maybe hit with diamonds !

Offline scalpel72

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
It irks me if the watch is still new ;)

But after a few dings, i get numb :HammerHead: