Author Topic: Chronograph Watch- To run or not to run??  (Read 14791 times)

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
Re: Chronograph Watch- To run or not to run??
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 01:15:40 PM »
Well, my agent told me not to let it run when i am not using it. Servicing chrono especially automatic chrono is quite costly. also, it will affect the accuracy of the time if you let it runs no stop.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »
Well, my agent told me not to let it run when i am not using it. Servicing chrono especially automatic chrono is quite costly. also, it will affect the accuracy of the time if you let it runs no stop.

Whether you use the chrono or not, it still needs service at regular intervals, even if you never used the chrono. i disagree that running the chrono affects the accuracy of the time. it might reduce the power reserve a little.

i think you need another agent...  :Cheers:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »
+1. There is so far no indication that the accuracy of the watch will be altered when the chronograph is running and kept running. There is also no clear indication the keeping The chronograph running causes extra wear and tear to the watch. In terms of power reserve, Omega claims the keeping the chronograph running on their watches will reduce the power reserve by a maximum of 2%.

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
Guys, apparently there is no conclusive views on this issue. Breitling seems to say that its fine to keep it running. Tag H says no. Patek Philippe says it depends on the models. So, it will just goes either way. I will not let it running non stop due to simple wear and tear theory. Running it non stop is merely for aesthestic reason for me. I guess i am better off with a center sweeping second instead of chronograph.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline hotshothunk

• Freshie
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »
i never seem to use the chronograph function in my watch.  but i always get chronograph watches for its design. catches the eye

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »
this been discussed over n over.... but most watchmakers agreed to me

1. running the chrono will slow down the watch by a second or 2 or 3 or 4 a day.... bcoz u need more force from the barrel to push it.... but jus a fraction....
2. the wear n tear on the chrono part and especially when u keep pressing sure u wear the pusher and its mechanism...
3. not using the chrono for too long laso not good for the intact part.... oil distribute more evenly when it run...
4. same on the power reserve, the extra force need to power the chrono will make the watch stop slightly earlier....

Offline engkow

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 05:49:12 PM »
my sinn chronograph sent for repair chrono on february, under warranty (expire may), at HG after two months, they called to collect
the watch.
went there in april to collect, they did not repair the watch, they just test it, said nothing wrong with it.
the warranty still has one month left, cut the story short sent to singapore for the service the chrono,
just got the watch today after four months and hopefully it will give no problem next few years.
i agree with dpkong to run or not to run, it need regular service with it.