Author Topic: How much to spend???  (Read 37383 times)

Offline Sid Vicious

Re: How much to spend???
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
terence that time i didn't know, I thought all Rolex hand wind :p Want to go in shop, scared  :Laughing_on_floor:

Now a bit more enlightened after going through the MWF and watchuseek :)

Sorry omnipotent, not in Msia at this point, felt a bit gutted considering they invited MWF members personally (in a way), have to hope they will have more which I can come along next time
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline rusminag

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2011, 03:23:38 PM »
Just to relate to my experience.... Hooked on Rolex heritage and simplicity.... Started with replica Rolex (submariner, explorer)... Later feeling uneasy and guilty of tempering with Rolex intelectual property... OK go for original swiss made watch... Oris... Oris... Ball...  opss... learned that I can get preowned Rolex with the amount I spent already. Met a nice jeweller, willing to trade his Sport Rolex and the rest is history... If I can do it all over again... I will look for preowned Submariner to invest on.... enjoy them on my wrist and look for other good deals on preowned GMT Master & Daytona. People will argue that Sport Rolex watches are over priced, but I still think that they are the cheapest (if not Free)... You pay RM1x,xxx, wear them and down the road, you can trade or sell for RM1x,xxx.
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
Just to relate to my experience.... Hooked on Rolex heritage and simplicity.... Started with replica Rolex (submariner, explorer)... Later feeling uneasy and guilty of tempering with Rolex intelectual property... OK go for original swiss made watch... Oris... Oris... Ball...  opss... learned that I can get preowned Rolex with the amount I spent already. Met a nice jeweller, willing to trade his Sport Rolex and the rest is history... If I can do it all over again... I will look for preowned Submariner to invest on.... enjoy them on my wrist and look for other good deals on preowned GMT Master & Daytona. People will argue that Sport Rolex watches are over priced, but I still think that they are the cheapest (if not Free)... You pay RM1x,xxx, wear them and down the road, you can trade or sell for RM1x,xxx.
And you forgot to mention that their movement is so robust!

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2011, 06:32:14 PM »

And don't forget to service the watch.  :)

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »

ahha talking about servicing.. i took my K series sub to a former Rolex technician in SG. guess most ppl from SG would know who he is..

so i asked him 10 years already, so need servicing or not?

he replied.. 10 years only ar? aiyah comeback in another few years. took my watch and check the timing. said still within the specs and no need to service unless I really "work" the watch.

according to him, sports series can take all the beating unless something really major happen.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2011, 06:55:58 PM »

ahha talking about servicing.. i took my K series sub to a former Rolex technician in SG. guess most ppl from SG would know who he is..

so i asked him 10 years already, so need servicing or not?

he replied.. 10 years only ar? aiyah comeback in another few years. took my watch and check the timing. said still within the specs and no need to service unless I really "work" the watch.

according to him, sports series can take all the beating unless something really major happen.

Interesting point of view. Playing the devil advocate, suppose you come back after a few years and find out that there are parts that have worn-out that would not wear out had you serviced the watch earlier? What happens then? Can you tell him that you said no need to service. My take on this is that really 'work' the watch is very subjective. Perhaps it is my training as an aircraft engineer, where service is due based on time and/ or usage.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »
I completely agree with Hobbit.
I practice preventive maintenance habit. Sure you can still stretch few more years but why risk it.
If you dont have rm1.8k to spend to service a rm20k retail watch after 7-10yrs of ownership then you're better off with a ETA watch that cost rm150 to service.
Thats just me though.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »
in that case, the preown DJ i bought is really in bad condition? bcos his wife told me the lubricant/oil almist dry up already so need a routine service...but the damage is acceptable lah...

Offline Horous

• Freshie
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2011, 07:14:31 PM »
I dont need to spend money cause i share watches with my dad. Basically if you have similar wrist size with sibling/father, pour in your portion to get higher end watches, at least a rolex. In that way both of you can share a classic time piece!!

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2011, 06:25:19 AM »
Horous good idea...only problem, my dad likes the nicer watches, penat beli tak sempat pakai :)

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill