Author Topic: Ladies Watch Help/Recommendations  (Read 3962 times)

Offline zack.gap

Ladies Watch Help/Recommendations
« on: July 22, 2020, 08:02:31 PM »
Hi all,

Would like to get all your opinions on these 2 watches for a special occasion for my soon to be wife. The intention here is to introduce her to my world of watches (and get away with more purchases in the future of course ::) )

The first is by Frederique Constant. This is their Ultra Flat Small Edition (https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch-finder/slimline/ladies-small-seconds-fc-235m1s5/) , gold plated and comes in a quartz movement

Pros;
-Quartz movement is less of 'hassle' to take care of, no need to wind up after a weekend on the bedside table.
-Cheaper by 1k.
-Has an ultra thin design (5mm height)

The 2nd is a Longines Présence (https://www.longines.com/watches/presence/l4-321-2-11-2). Mechanical movement, smaller case (25.5mm) and PVD coating

Pros;
-Beautiful 25 jewel mechanical movement (28,800 vph) and glass caseback
-Timeless design (would look good 20 years down the line)
- Smaller diameter case which would look more proportionate on her wrist.

I'm still deciding which one to pick but if anyone can chime in please do so! Would not mind if there are better recommendations.

Offline ethan89

Re: Ladies Watch Help/Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 08:46:49 PM »
Could be better if you state your budget.
For lady, you can't go wrong with a Cartier, especially Cartier Ballon Bleu.  :thumbsup:
Longines Primaluna got the same vibe as Cartier Ballon too. (https://www.longines.com/watches/primaluna/l8-116-4-87-6)
For Frederique Constant you may refer to the link. (https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch-finder/classics/delight-automatic-fc-306whd3er2b/)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:53:32 PM by ethan89 »

Offline zack.gap

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:15:30 AM »
I think my budget would be under 5k. I'm still unsure how well she takes care of her belongings so I'd like to use this as a taster for her.

Will definitely consider Cartier in the future if she's attracted to the style! Case size is a tad too big for all the options though because her wrist are insanely tiny ????

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 09:13:23 AM »
I would definitely go Longines here. My father in law bought a quartz watch for my MIL many moons ago and it is no longer working. Being a quartz, it is difficult to source for parts to repair the watch. If it was a mechanical or automatic watch, we could still send it to see if there are parts or a quick service to keep it running. Therefore, for a watch that is meaningful or has very strong sentimental values...go auto or mechanical...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 11:26:12 AM »

Both are nice but I would go with automatic movement and 25.5mm is a very small watch and women these days can wear larger watches even with small wrists.

Offline zack.gap

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 12:09:51 PM »

Both are nice but I would go with automatic movement and 25.5mm is a very small watch and women these days can wear larger watches even with small wrists.

I would definitely go Longines here. My father in law bought a quartz watch for my MIL many moons ago and it is no longer working. Being a quartz, it is difficult to source for parts to repair the watch. If it was a mechanical or automatic watch, we could still send it to see if there are parts or a quick service to keep it running. Therefore, for a watch that is meaningful or has very strong sentimental values...go auto or mechanical...

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Yes I think I'll go for the Longines after all. The SA attending me unfortunately said it'll take around 2 weeks to arrive in store but he gave a good price (25% off RRP)  so I think I'll stick with him ;D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 12:32:24 PM »

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Yes I think I'll go for the Longines after all. The SA attending me unfortunately said it'll take around 2 weeks to arrive in store but he gave a good price (25% off RRP)  so I think I'll stick with him ;D

Since it's going to be a gift for special moment, you will be keeping it so any discount is a good deal. Good luck!