Author Topic: SIHH 2011 Panerai Models Have been Announced!!  (Read 31446 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: SIHH 2011 Panerai Models Have been Announced!!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 05:56:56 AM »
Panerai watches in my opinion are getting saturated??!!!

Agree to a certain point. The new prices does not reflect the origin of the watch as tool or military use watches. Can't see people actually using the watches as a tool watch. While it is nice, great in fact to see the 1950 case make it into the historic collection (which I collect, if you can call it a collection), but at what price point?

I do like the brand, having gotten my first one back in 1999 and joining the band-wagon (paneristi) when they first came about under Guy. Sadly I do feel that they seem to be a tad lost (flame suit on  :)  ).

I too agree...
My brother in law wears one. I have tried it on before but it doesn't sing to me.
Paneristis always tell me you either get it or u don't, so I guess i don't get it ???
Alot of WIS tells me that at this moment, Panerai watches are the only watch worth dropping serious money on...
I dun really see where the appeal is FOR ME.  ::)
I see alot of passionate paneristis here which can only mean that they must be doing something right...  ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline takashi78

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 06:21:25 AM »
Better get "Ah Fok" then since its so limited.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 09:50:36 AM »
Estimated price for the new models (price in USD) for reference:

PAM371 SE - 11,600
PAM379 SE - ???
PAM376 SE - 27,800
PAM369 Contemporary - 7,200
PAM356 Contemporary -8,700
PAM380 Historic - 4,400
PAM378 Historic - ???
PAM345 SE - 21,800 (150units)
PAM384 Historic LE - 14,700 (500 units)
PAM382 SE - 10,100 (1000units)
PAM375 SE - 11,600 (numbered edition 2000pcs)
PAM368 SE - 15,800 (1000units)
PAM373 SE - 42,300 (199 numbered units)
PAM372 Historic - 10,100 (Unconfirmed)

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »
wahhahah that means i am doomed to forever wear historics wahhahahhahah :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:55 AM »
hmm, from the price quoted for all new releases, it is very likely they will discont all the base models with unitas real soon.

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »
hmm, from the price quoted for all new releases, it is very likely they will discont all the base models with unitas real soon.

I'm not so sure of that... the P3000 movement is used on the 47mm casing. Until now, Panerai still does not hv the 44mm manual winding movement... so they will still need the ETA movement.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 12:43:45 PM »
wahhahah that means i am doomed to forever wear historics wahhahahhahah :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Just like me, only historic model. Time to get the elusive destro I guess....

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »

I'm not so sure of that... the P3000 movement is used on the 47mm casing. Until now, Panerai still does not hv the 44mm manual winding movement... so they will still need the ETA movement.

thought New 42mm radiomir with pam handwind movement

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »
The P.3000 and the Unites 64XX are the same size at 11.5 ligne. The P.3000 is thicker by 0.8 mm at 5.3 mm. So it, P.3000 can technically be used on a standard 44 mm case.

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »

that's 42mm P999 movement...

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 04:58:06 PM »
The P.3000 and the Unites 64XX are the same size at 11.5 ligne. The P.3000 is thicker by 0.8 mm at 5.3 mm. So it, P.3000 can technically be used on a standard 44 mm case.

Thanks for the info...

Offline cuoreboy

• Freshie
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 07:17:56 PM »
wow 2011 new model all using bronze dunno will it turn dark after some time :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
wow 2011 new model all using bronze dunno will it turn dark after some time :Laughing_on_floor:

that is the desired effect... jsut like a titanium case oxidizing

Offline sshark

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 09:26:54 PM »
r u referring to PAM 380? it is using ETA 6497

that's 42mm P999 movement...

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 03:10:32 AM »
...Just sharing some additional info on the much talked about PAM372 fiddy base. While it is not a SE, it will only be produced in 3000 pieces over a period of 2 years only..that's one Pam I think that going to be a massive hit ...now $10.1k US makes a little bit more sense...

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 03:16:14 AM »

that is the desired effect... jsut like a titanium case oxidizing

Exactly..that's the whole point of using bronze on the 382 Bronzo. each piece will be unique with individual "patina" depending on how it was used and even skin chemistry of the owner. Now not only ur dial and straps will patina, your case can too!! Btw, bronze has been experimented with during the pre-V days and those engineer at GPF (original Panerai ) took what they knew with them with Dino Zei to Anonimo... So, not exactly the case of Panerai taking the cue from their "cousin" but rather reviving old Panerai ideas...

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 06:54:39 AM »
Pams are thumbing up their noses and going elitist IMHO. a "simple inhouse" movement costing more than 10k?! that is really over the board! and the movement does not even have a quick set date!! starts changing date at 10?!

as much as i love to get another PAM it jsut does not give the bang of the buck, like say a Rolex within the same price bracket.

10K is really moving towards a Daytona level?!

but having said that i do have a deep hankering for a PAM 98, 25 and 251.

just these prices does not really justify all that you are getting.

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 07:36:24 AM »
Pams are thumbing up their noses and going elitist IMHO. a "simple inhouse" movement costing more than 10k?! that is really over the board! and the movement does not even have a quick set date!! starts changing date at 10?!

as much as i love to get another PAM it jsut does not give the bang of the buck, like say a Rolex within the same price bracket.

10K is really moving towards a Daytona level?!

but having said that i do have a deep hankering for a PAM 98, 25 and 251.

just these prices does not really justify all that you are getting.

..is there any luxury product out there that's worth the money? Its a luxury and not necessity..logic usually doesnt apply and perceived value is relative to each individual...

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 08:01:13 AM »
Simple, supply vs demand.
Richemont clearly undertands the demand > supply and people is (still) craze for PAMs.

Offline landyshah

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2011, 08:09:06 AM »
Pams are thumbing up their noses and going elitist IMHO. a "simple inhouse" movement costing more than 10k?! that is really over the board!

Yeah, never understood this PAM thing, they all look the same to  me  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
Pams are thumbing up their noses and going elitist IMHO. a "simple inhouse" movement costing more than 10k?! that is really over the board!

Yeah, never understood this PAM thing, they all look the same to  me  :Laughing_on_floor:

...I can totally relate like how all AP ROOs look the same to me :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:57:56 AM by zameenzahari »

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 09:40:35 AM »
one of the best quote with regards to the watch industry nowadays and not just Panerai alone. but i think they are milking the situation to it's worth right now

Taken from p.com from one of the posters

"Doing what's best for business   January 18 2011, 8:59 PM

Richemont is in the Panerai business for money. If they see models like the 127 trading for several times their MSRP, then they see there is a potential cash flow to be tapped. When they see 'Ristis going gaga over Tritium-patina, they'll release the next best thing (since Tritium is obviously a no-go.)

Why would they sit back and say 'good for us, we made a model whose appeal was much greater than its production"?

I think the limited runs and the special editions exist to fuel collectors' mania and test models to see if they'll be successful in larger runs. They test the waters with a SE like the 127 and it does great in the second hand market. So they feel safe in releasing more models like it.

By keeping everything tight and limited, they ensure that people ignore the high price and instead think, "I need to buy this NOW!" instead of, "That's nice. I'll save up for it and get it in a few years on the used market for less money."

The 127 that sold for 6,000 and now sells for 26,000 has only ever directly made 6000 for Panerai.

Panerai will continue to tweak the supply and demand of their customers until the day it stops making money.

Now as for what I think about it: I think it's the behavior of a giant, soulless corporate entity and not a tiny Italian workshop company."

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »
one of the best quote with regards to the watch industry nowadays and not just Panerai alone. but i think they are milking the situation to it's worth right now

Richemont is in the Panerai business for money. If they see models like the 127 trading for several times their MSRP, then they see there is a potential cash flow to be tapped. When they see 'Ristis going gaga over Tritium-patina, they'll release the next best thing (since Tritium is obviously a no-go.)

Why would they sit back and say 'good for us, we made a model whose appeal was much greater than its production"?

I think the limited runs and the special editions exist to fuel collectors' mania and test models to see if they'll be successful in larger runs. They test the waters with a SE like the 127 and it does great in the second hand market. So they feel safe in releasing more models like it.

By keeping everything tight and limited, they ensure that people ignore the high price and instead think, "I need to buy this NOW!" instead of, "That's nice. I'll save up for it and get it in a few years on the used market for less money."

The 127 that sold for 6,000 and now sells for 26,000 has only ever directly made 6000 for Panerai.

Panerai will continue to tweak the supply and demand of their customers until the day it stops making money.

Now as for what I think about it: I think it's the behavior of a giant, soulless corporate entity and not a tiny Italian workshop company."

Hahahaha interesting view, which I sadly agree. As much as I like the brand, they seems to be less and less a tool watch. The watch I got back in 1999 is now double the price but no change to the movement, design etc. I remember a guy I know who bought a destro at an unbelievable price (pre-loved and without asking for a discount) and after buying asked the question "Eh, why the winding thing on the left side ah? can change to the correct side?"

The sad part is that I am craving for a PAM00024 or PAM00243 or even that PAM00115 that is being offered to me. SIGH... a sucker for punishment.

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »

Hahahaha interesting view, which I sadly agree. As much as I like the brand, they seems to be less and less a tool watch. The watch I got back in 1999 is now double the price but no change to the movement, design etc. I remember a guy I know who bought a destro at an unbelievable price (pre-loved and without asking for a discount) and after buying asked the question "Eh, why the winding thing on the left side ah? can change to the correct side?"

The sad part is that I am craving for a PAM00024 or PAM00243 or even that PAM00115 that is being offered to me. SIGH... a sucker for punishment.

Rumour has it that the 243 will be discontinued soon...47 is the new 44 as they say..anyway, as of today, its still in the catalogue...

Offline sshark

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 12:13:38 PM »
I totally agreed with the opinion brought forward by terence.

2 sides of a coin. if i am the business man, i do what i must to make a sale. the more the merrier. OTH, if i was the buyer and i disagreed with the way his biz is done then i move on to other brands.