Author Topic: Pepsi OR Nananana Batman ?  (Read 10012 times)

Offline jasey

Re: Pepsi OR Nananana Batman ?
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »
I vote for batman because it is a technically better watch. Additionally, Since you brought up the fact that once upon a time ago u could hv purchased the Pepsi for 16k I think I personally would find it difficult to buy one now at the current price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Equinox

• Freshie
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 04:23:34 PM »
Here's a Batman in rubber b strap saying hi.

Sent from my SM-G9500 using Tapatalk

Offline psychokandy

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »
At the end of the day, you'll be the one looking at the watch everyday. So you need to ask yourself which one do you want to see everyday. It's like choosing a wife. Someone you will see everyday. Hahaha

~Crown, Rose & Shield~

Offline psychokandy

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 04:54:06 PM »
Oh btw, don't worry about the hollow center link on the 5 digit Rolex. I have seen a 15 years old 16610 and a 10 years old 14060M. Both without any bracelet stretch. It would be how you sized the bracelet. But I do agree that it feels so much lighter compared to 6 digits Rolex.

~Crown, Rose & Shield~

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 06:07:01 PM »
The 16710 will be a lighter watch to wear. Without the polished centre links, you won't have to worry about daily beater use. I think the lugs are more proportionate compared to the fatter lugs of the new models. The blue/red hue on aluminum is nicer than that dull blue on ceramic.

And stretch on the hollow bracelet is not a really big issue. Do try to get one with solid end links on the bracelet.

I think that the bezel insert is nicer as well, as it is iconic. I just felt like 16710 is a humble and honest watch, makes the wearer kinda like easy-to-approach guy and it wouldn't scream that loud either.

I had one reserved is the Y series, with SEL, hollow bracelet and that lug holes adding more character.  As I am so used to the weight of my 114060, when it tried the Pepsi, it feels so so so light. Perhaps it's just my feeling to question the quality (bracelet) of this watch.

the 5 digits bracelets are no slouch.  Yes, you will feel a huge difference as compared to the present ones but they are still made to last.

Perhaps if you were to grab the 16710 now and then regret it, i think its still possible to do a u turn and flip it for a batman.  A lot will depend on how much you are paying for it. A full set, 16710, SEL with lug holes should find a new home quite easily if present owner is not asking for the stratosphere.  Ask for sky maybe still can find buyer.. ;D 

But still safer to get it right the first time.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:09:09 PM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline ViiiLaix

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 06:36:30 PM »
I vote for batman because it is a technically better watch. Additionally, Since you brought up the fact that once upon a time ago u could hv purchased the Pepsi for 16k I think I personally would find it difficult to buy one now at the current price.

This is also bother me as well. 5 years ago I could purchase it for 16K. Now, I have to pay more than double the price compared to 5 years ago. Crazy, the price inflated for 200% in 5 years; I could get the same watches for 2 pieces for the price I pay now if I bought it 5 years ago.

Of course this is not a very good way to think of that, BUT only this particular model increases in prices so much compared to its peers generation. (explorer 2 16750, 14060,16610 - exclude the 50th Ann)

Offline ViiiLaix

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »
At the end of the day, you'll be the one looking at the watch everyday. So you need to ask yourself which one do you want to see everyday. It's like choosing a wife. Someone you will see everyday. Hahaha

I like your analogy. hahahaha. So, I got to treat it like finding a wife. Tough choices if both potential wife you also wanna see everyday  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline ViiiLaix

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2017, 06:46:04 PM »
The 16710 will be a lighter watch to wear. Without the polished centre links, you won't have to worry about daily beater use. I think the lugs are more proportionate compared to the fatter lugs of the new models. The blue/red hue on aluminum is nicer than that dull blue on ceramic.

And stretch on the hollow bracelet is not a really big issue. Do try to get one with solid end links on the bracelet.

I think that the bezel insert is nicer as well, as it is iconic. I just felt like 16710 is a humble and honest watch, makes the wearer kinda like easy-to-approach guy and it wouldn't scream that loud either.

I had one reserved is the Y series, with SEL, hollow bracelet and that lug holes adding more character.  As I am so used to the weight of my 114060, when it tried the Pepsi, it feels so so so light. Perhaps it's just my feeling to question the quality (bracelet) of this watch.

the 5 digits bracelets are no slouch.  Yes, you will feel a huge difference as compared to the present ones but they are still made to last.

Perhaps if you were to grab the 16710 now and then regret it, i think its still possible to do a u turn and flip it for a batman.  A lot will depend on how much you are paying for it. A full set, 16710, SEL with lug holes should find a new home quite easily if present owner is not asking for the stratosphere.  Ask for sky maybe still can find buyer.. ;D 

Actually this is not a bad idea at all. Will consider this, as for the Batman still need time to get one.
But I think it will be just a little harder to sell; I believe new buyer will face a dilemma like me.
Say, the price for a brand new 116710LN is around 30K,why does someone want to pay more incentives just to get a 15yr old preowned watch. Unless he is a collector or someone know to appreciate the long history and charm of the Pepsi.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:48:18 PM by ViiiLaix »

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »

Actually this is not a bad idea at all. Will consider this, as for the Batman still need time to get one.
But I think it will be just a little harder to sell; I believe new buyer will face a dilemma like me.
Say, the price for a brand new 116710LN is around 30K,why does someone want to pay more incentives just to get a 15yr old preowned watch. Unless he is a collector or someone know to appreciate the long history and charm of the Pepsi.

30k brand new 116710LN vs say a 33k 16710? you'll be surprised that the Pepsi might sell faster than the LN.   But as in sales of all watches..timing is important too.
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline ViiiLaix

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
I just felt like 16710 is a humble and honest watch, makes the wearer kinda like easy-to-approach guy and it wouldn't scream that loud either.

I recently spotted a BNIB SD4k going for almost RM60k after conversion (too optimistic an asking price, I know), but am kicking myself for the flip. The 16710 is like the SD4k, in a way.

WOW. . RM60K for SD4K. The price is just crazy. I believe before it discontinued the price is around 30K+ range.
Very similar to almost all discontinued rolex model, it increase in prices.

Actually I wondered, any collectors that play around with vintage Rolexes in Msia like 5513, 5514 (comex), 1680 or 1675. The prices will even crazier.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
In all your price quotes, don't forget the MYR has taken a big hit over the last 3 years and that has to be taken into account for consideration. Personally, I use SGD and USD quotes to see if a piece has really increased in asking price.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2017, 07:12:55 AM »
Pepsi sing well from the vintage perspective, do the due diligence thoroughly in vintage time piece. 

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »
WOW. . RM60K for SD4K. The price is just crazy. I believe before it discontinued the price is around 30K+ range.
Very similar to almost all discontinued rolex model, it increase in prices.

The last price I spotted at an AD in Malaysia earlier this year prior to the model being discontinued, was RM43k. When it was first launched in 2014, IIRC it was only going for RM28k (but some ADs further imposed a premium then). Those purchased after Rolex lengthened to the 5-year warranty in 2015, sell at a better price in the secondary market. When I was flipping it off, I vaguely remembered a forumer offering me a ridiculously low price for said watch, saying that not many would spend so much cash for a non-Sub. Within the next few days, I received an offer at my asking price; and the buyer flew to KL to collect the prized watch. So, I have no doubts that the 16710, preserved well, would have lots of room for future appreciation given its cult and classic status.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2017, 08:03:45 AM »
Worry not , the 16710 bracelet will outlive us anyway.
Regards.