Author Topic: Brief answer to why Rolex is the first Brand when people think of watch  (Read 4720 times)

Offline vinorus

The founder Hans Wilsdorf is really good at Branding, these Brands are keeping Rolex at its own height.

Rolex = First Brand of Wrist Watch

Oyster = First Brand of Water Resistance Case

Perpetual = First Brand of Self-winding Movement

superlative chronometer officially certified = First Brand of Quality Assurance of Watch

Date Just = First Brand of watch with a Date

Day Date = First Brand of watch with a Day of the Week

Shape of Rolex watch also a Brand itself: the lugs, the hands and the polished side profile of case.

Further, good advertising:

First Brand Ambassador = Mercedes Gleitze

Rolex watches are not the best or better watches but they carry many First Brands that become inception of Best Brand in people’s minds.

(First Brand doesn’t mean it is the first released category but the first to be the brand planted in people’s minds)

The above is what I answered in Quora:

https://www.quora.com/Which-watches-are-better-than-Rolex
The Daytona C in Steel is my dream watch now...

Offline elado249

Neh, bcoz of it can retain value very well. Most people who wear it doesn't give a heck bout first in everything. Most of collectors also a flipper

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline vinorus

Neh, bcoz of it can retain value very well. Most people who wear it doesn't give a heck bout first in everything. Most of collectors also a flipper

Yes, you are right. But..

The same question will be asked again, how did it become good value retaining in the very beginning?

I was giving fundamental answer.

Offline vinorus

Being the first is not so easy, it need creating something out from nothing.
New creation is the opportunity to have a new category, each new category is a new strong brand.

I believe most of the business school is teaching the above theory.

Offline elado249

Coz there is demand for Rolex. And I believe the demand largely comes from the people who bought them for the reason - retaining high value. Its a cycle. Dats only my opinion

Offline vinorus

Coz there is demand for Rolex. And I believe the demand largely comes from the people who bought them for the reason - retaining high value. Its a cycle. Dats only my opinion

Yeah, you are right, it is the Demand.

Brand (of new category) starts from Demand in the very beginning.

The Demand of Wrist Watch is where Rolex begins;

The Demand of Water Resistance Case is where Oyster begins;

The Demand of Self-winding Movement is where Perpetual begins;

The Demand of Quality Assurance of Watch is where "superlative chronometer officially certified" begins;

The Demand of Date function is where Date Just begins;

The Demand of knowing the Day of the Week is where Day Date begins;

The Demand of Diving is where Submariner begins;

The Demand of Racing is where Daytona begins;

The Demand of Traveling across Time Zones is where GMT Master begins.

Last but not least, the Demand for recognition of owning a Rolex Oyster Perpetual superlative chronometer officially certified watch is what people wants.

Whenever a Demand is high, the value of the Brand to serve the Demand will be high.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:31:00 PM by vinorus »

Offline Timeless

Interesting sharing, the First's achievements carries a lot value which makes the successful to date.  I'd imagine the main elements of the contribution are innovative and visionary spirit by Hans Wilsdorf.

Offline Cocas

Rolex brand to me is a special watch. The way that it make watches is trying to ensure the durability to last as long as it can.

I bought few old Rolex and found out that it normally over engineered to ensure those non-water resistant watch with movement that is almost rust/oxidization free.

For that, I totally salute Rolex!

Offline seale_navy

• Freshie
I think Rolex has done pretty well in terms of marketing themselves. With their new assurance that their movement is +/- 2 seconds per day that adds more weight in addition to the good resale value for rolex watches.

Offline vinorus

Rolex brand to me is a special watch. The way that it make watches is trying to ensure the durability to last as long as it can.

I bought few old Rolex and found out that it normally over engineered to ensure those non-water resistant watch with movement that is almost rust/oxidization free.

For that, I totally salute Rolex!
I think Rolex has done pretty well in terms of marketing themselves. With their new assurance that their movement is +/- 2 seconds per day that adds more weight in addition to the good resale value for rolex watches.

Thanks for sharing additionally on the quality, without quality, all the effort put in Branding will be in vein and the brand itself will be replaced by others~.

Offline vinorus

Re: Brief answer to why Rolex is the first Brand when people think of watch
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
Quality to me is like perspiration, branding is like inspiration.

So when Thomas Edison said "Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration" is actually telling us the one percent inspiration is as important as 99 percent perspiration.

That means, people will most likely see the 99 percent perspiration more often because it occupy almost all the time. And people tend to forget the one percent inspiration.

If we guys appreciate the 99 percent quality of Rolex, should we also appreciate the 1% branding that happens in the very beginning.

Offline jeykslim

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 11:10:30 PM »
Rolex is ultimately well known amongst Asian countries. That's why when ppl talk about watches, main brand that comes in mind is always Rolex, Tag or Omega. In the Europe, not much ppl go for Rolex. They're on more luxury watches.

Offline asimo

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 07:14:33 AM »
Rolex is projected as the watch to celebrate achievement or milestone in life , it evoked emotional feeling . That's why is not easy to be replaced by other brand .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline garrick86

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »
Also, it is like the best valued watch you can pawn in the pawn shop. Easy to trade for money.
Malaysia Watch Group Facebook
(Daily wristshot hobbyist)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MalaysiaWatchGroup/