Author Topic: Watch Reccomendation  (Read 10827 times)

Offline zhenweng94

Watch Reccomendation
« on: March 05, 2015, 07:07:25 PM »
Hi,
Firstly I'd like to apologize as I am just getting my feet wet as far as delving into the watch world so it is safe to assume my knowledge of watches isn't very vast and would only cover what little I can find on the net in the limited time I've spent researching.

Was wondering if there are any recommendations for a good Automatic watch that is more on the classical and minimalistic side for a budget of around RM1000?

Offline dualcarb

Re: Watch Reccomendation
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
I'd go Seiko SKX007 for less than RM1,000. Another that I have in mind for that budget is an Orient bambino...good luck and do share with us what you end up with.

Patrick Ng

Offline davidtth

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 07:16:21 PM »
Seiko, Orient and Hamilton by far will fit to your budget, they have various design depend on size, color and design which u love the most :)

Offline zhenweng94

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 08:31:48 PM »
Hello all. Thank for the prompt reply. Have already been looking into Orient and Seiko and just did look into Hamilton's range and I have to admit the look do appeal to me. However have yet to find an automatic that falls in my price range of RM1000.

Offline kingpin

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 10:32:10 PM »
Seiko 5, Orient or Orient Star will be around the budget. I don't think Hamilton will be in the 1000 range. You can try Tissot, after discount will be around 1.3k. Go to your closest AD and check out the price. 200 to 300 more to buy something that you love... Priceless  :Cheers:

PS: check out the pre-owned, might be something around...
IWC Pilot Chronograph 3777, Oris Big Crown Complication, Longines Hydro Conquest, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium Auto, Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph, Orient FEM76002B9 Automatic, Seiko Chronograph World Time 7T62 OJHO, AVI-8 Solar Power AV-4018-03, Casio AE-1200WH, G-Shock GA-110RG, G-Shock G-300, G-Cool GT-000

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 10:46:01 PM »
Get a Seiko monster. It's around 1k new if you shop around hard enough.

The monster is the best value watch around that is non-Swiss.
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 04:41:10 AM »
If u want clasical and minimalist, take a look at orient bambino or orient symphony.
2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline Timeless

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 04:55:06 AM »
Try seiko phantom or maranez bangla etc. hope will fit your needs

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 05:20:16 AM »
Try seiko phantom or maranez bangla etc. hope will fit your needs

Bangla is hardly clasical and minimalist :-D

Offline Friedrice

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 12:33:41 PM »
Hey buddy. If you are looking for a watch below 1k that is elegant, it may be quite impossible to find as most decent dress watch starts at 5k. But, if you insist on that budget, try looking at Orient's dress watch line. I am sorry to be the one to break your bubble but 1k will not get you a Swiss dress watch, even with aggressive discounts by the AD.
Rolex datejust 16200
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Zenith 2532
Tissot T-Touch expert

Offline zhenweng94

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 05:36:40 PM »
Hey buddy. If you are looking for a watch below 1k that is elegant, it may be quite impossible to find as most decent dress watch starts at 5k. But, if you insist on that budget, try looking at Orient's dress watch line. I am sorry to be the one to break your bubble but 1k will not get you a Swiss dress watch, even with aggressive discounts by the AD.

Well it's alright and thanks for your concern. I do realize it's not much of a budget for a swiss watch but once again I never mentioned it had to be a swiss. I am perfectly fine with a good Japanese movement. Thanks for your opinion though :)

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 06:26:24 PM »

TS never ask for Swiss btw. Swiss is not equivalent to decent either.

Offline Friedrice

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 06:48:07 PM »

Sorry I misread OP's post. I automatically associate nice auto dress watch as Swiss or German.

My apologies.
Rolex datejust 16200
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Zenith 2532
Tissot T-Touch expert

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 09:42:52 PM »

Sorry I misread OP's post. I automatically associate nice auto dress watch as Swiss or German.

My apologies.

Don't stress. As you start to learn about watches you'll find that dollar for dollar the Japanese generally deliver much more than the Euros. The SARY I posted above uses an auto as good or better than ETA, and is finished much better than comparable offerings from Tissot or Hamilton.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:44:25 PM by jason_recliner »

Offline zhenweng94

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 09:31:45 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks once again for your insides into the watch world. A further question though. Is there a major difference in quality between the normal orient and the orient star? and is it really worth the jump considering it is about two times the price? Am actually quite interested in the orient star classic.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »
Seiko  :thumbsup:
Seiko fan.....

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 12:03:16 PM »
Orient star is generally noticeably nicer than orient. Whether it's worth the extra it's up to you.

Offline kingpin

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 01:46:05 PM »
You will never go wrong with Orient and Seiko automatic...
IWC Pilot Chronograph 3777, Oris Big Crown Complication, Longines Hydro Conquest, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium Auto, Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph, Orient FEM76002B9 Automatic, Seiko Chronograph World Time 7T62 OJHO, AVI-8 Solar Power AV-4018-03, Casio AE-1200WH, G-Shock GA-110RG, G-Shock G-300, G-Cool GT-000

Offline zhenweng94

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 11:09:57 PM »
Hi
was checking out the orient star range and was wondering why an orient star that is supposedly a bit higher end as compared to the normal orient have a mineral glass that is domed (the classic particularly) as compared with all other high end watches that sports a sapphire crystal. pros and cons? and is the mineral crystal a deal breaker as far as the orient star classic is concerned?

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 04:18:02 AM »
Its all about pricing. Domed mineral glass is easier hence cheaper to fabricate and gets reflected in the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 05:16:29 AM »
Hi
was checking out the orient star range and was wondering why an orient star that is supposedly a bit higher end as compared to the normal orient have a mineral glass that is domed (the classic particularly) as compared with all other high end watches that sports a sapphire crystal. pros and cons? and is the mineral crystal a deal breaker as far as the orient star classic is concerned?
orient curator is using sapphire crystal

Offline zhenweng94

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
Latest update, I am currently deciding between the Orient Star classic, Orient Star Standard Date or the Orient Star Open Heart. Any insights into these watches?

Offline zhenweng94

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 04:38:44 PM »
Also my budget has been revised a lil upwards to RM1500 after discounts though i dont know how much that would help me really.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »
Latest update, I am currently deciding between the Orient Star classic, Orient Star Standard Date or the Orient Star Open Heart. Any insights into these watches?
One vote here for the star classic...a design that is hard to beat.

Patrick

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 05:20:23 PM »
classic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com