Author Topic: An inevitable part of watch collecting journey?  (Read 2284 times)

Offline JPSP

An inevitable part of watch collecting journey?
« on: May 09, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »
I'm finding the appeal of the mass brands diminishing because they're readily available and more commercial in nature. It seems like the watches lack the watchmaker's "soul". Mass brands are trying to make up/recreate the "soul" by marketing the history, founders, legacy, linking to sports events and celebrity endorsements. 

I find myself now standing at the edge of what i call "the infancy stage of independent watches appreciation". The more I research about them, the more they appeal to me. Watchmakers like Habring, Peter Speake Marin, Dornbluth & Sohn, Zeitwinkel, Nomos, FP Journe, De Bethune, MB&F and etc. Juxtaposition of fears, uncertainty, uneasiness and excitement. I know this will lead to an abyss when I cross the line.

For some of the members here who amassed a large/impressive collection over the years, do you feel that this is an inevitable part of the journey or do you still prefer to take a safer bet and buy more mainstream brands? Do you wish to experiment independent brands and start afresh (begin with entry level models and eventually "upgrade" along the way)?

Cheers

James   

Offline Yoda

Re: An inevitable part of watch collecting journey?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 04:40:06 AM »
I am a consevative type.

I would not venture out into something different

Still prefer the same old tested brand for me
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 07:33:22 AM »
Hmmmm... I would not say it natural progression.
But it all depends on the individual.
When one can afford independents, naturally they will appreciate the exclusivity it offers.
I am interested in getting an independent piece as well but behind my mind, I kept thinking of all the "what if"
What if the watch encounter problems later?
Staying in Sabah does not help.
I would not like to fly here and there just to get a watch fixed.
That's why for me, I would also stick with those brands that can remedy my fears of the "what ifs" hehehe
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline JPSP

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »
Hmmmm... I would not say it natural progression.
But it all depends on the individual.
When one can afford independents, naturally they will appreciate the exclusivity it offers.
I am interested in getting an independent piece as well but behind my mind, I kept thinking of all the "what if"
What if the watch encounter problems later?
Staying in Sabah does not help.
I would not like to fly here and there just to get a watch fixed.
That's why for me, I would also stick with those brands that can remedy my fears of the "what ifs" hehehe

I feel the same way too hence the mixed feelings.. 

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »
IMHO, going indie would depend a lot on how much resources you intend to allocate for your horological journey.

Generally I love indie brands like K Voutilainen, Roger Smith, Vianney Halter, FPJourne, Gronefeld, Laurent Ferrier, Ressence and (who can leave out) Dufour…. Any piece from any of these masters will however cost anything from a base of RM 100K onwards….

If I had a budget of RM1M for my horological journey, then I'd allocate 1/3 or 1/2 of it on indie to be prudent whilst balancing out my risks with other excellent pieces from established pedigreed brands like PP, AP, VC, JLC, ALS, Credor, etc

Then again the reason I'd go indie is not because of the name but because of the futuristic concept/technical complication/artisan quality of the particular indie piece that I crave for for e.g.
Gronefeld One Hertz, Ressence Type 3, Laurent Ferrier Galet Secret, FPJourne Octa Automatic Lune, Voutilainen Masterpiece 7, Roger Smith Great Britain.

If I had the resources to go for an indie, I'd only go for pieces that the master himself worked on not the entry pieces that his recruited team of watchmakers assembled e.g. FPJ or PSM.
Buying an entry level piece made by his team defeats the very purpose of buying an artisanal indie brand where the watchmaker himself built your watch and its limited to < 10 or maybe up to 25 pieces..
IMHO if I got a watch not made by the watch maker himself, I may as well buy a ALS , VC, PP, Credor which is technically as fine, innovative and in equally limited numbers besides having the reassurance of subsequent servicing issues unlike the uncertainty of an indie brand.
The only value add of buying an entry level indie brand then is that the calibre was designed by the master watch maker (not necessarily in all cases e.g. duFour or PSM) but assembled by his team.

just my poor 1 cent opinion as I'm still far away from an indie..

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:41:50 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.