Author Topic: Is the grey market doing so well?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline colnagolover

• Freshie
Is the grey market doing so well?
« on: April 11, 2023, 05:04:43 PM »
I was just in Publika recently and i notice some new watch shops on the main floors - mostly selling those hot watches like Rolexs, APs etc - i think the retail rent in these main frontage stores are not cheap - so has the grey market grown so big now in KL itself?

Offline dpkong

Re: Is the grey market doing so well?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 12:55:13 PM »
Well.. ever since the grey market prices blew out of proportion 2-3 years ago, a lot of new faces showing up and selling hot models from all brands. If they have a source for stock at retail, the returns at that time were huge. Then there is money from crypto and God knows what else they deal with.

Also quite sure a lot of interesting people have setup stores like these to launder money.

Not sure how long it will last though but grey market prices have come down for some models already.

Offline dremon69

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 07:19:48 PM »
Grey area…for some models no other choice coz it is forced- I rather negotiate the price at an AD …

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 10:33:15 AM »
So.. it's been like 8 months since there was a comment on this and it's appears prices on the used market has taken quite a beating for some, like the AP Offshores and solid gold Rolex pieces. Gold has risen to record highs so that reflects investors mistrust in the economy which means it's going to get worse, so will prices go down further?

Will the popular Rolex models still hold value well?

For sure the brands like Zenith and Omega will take a beating as well, or will they?

What about Vacheron Constantin who only just moved to boutique only?

I have noticed that most brands at ADs are now very minimal discounts (10-15%) from retail price. How long can they hold it?

Offline rnsm1979

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 07:17:44 AM »
from what i notice, most of the popular brand prices is dropping in Grey dealer
in long run if the market trend continue this way it would be good news for us the collector than for those flippers that were just merely follow the trend

like most of the senior here mention if we stop buying from grey eventually they will lost out sooner or later

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 08:08:42 AM »
There are some pretty decent grey dealers around. By all means get the pieces you want from them as long as the they provide after market warranty cover etc.

Not everyone is in a position to buy from ADs.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 05:36:24 PM »
There are some pretty decent grey dealers around. By all means get the pieces you want from them as long as the they provide after market warranty cover etc.

Not everyone is in a position to buy from ADs.

I have yet to meet a decent grey dealer.. even the one I used to buy from before the hype drove up prices have become more snotty than the salespeople at Rolex ADs...

They want to sell a white SS SkyDweller for 82k but only willing to give 50k for a pre-owned black dial SS..