Author Topic: Looking for direction on custom made watch with cremated ash  (Read 1416 times)

Offline bendanzhu

Looking for direction on custom made watch with cremated ash
« on: February 05, 2023, 11:37:42 PM »
Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker but decided to register and post this to look for more information on this.

My dad recently pass away and I'm thinking of having some of his cremated ash to be integrated in any sort of form in 1 of my timepiece. Was wondering how do I go about it and if there are anyone out there that could help me out. I'm not sure who to turn to.

I'm thinking of just making an initial or a signature made of cremated ash of my dad on my watch dial.

Offline pleasuresaurus

Re: Looking for direction on custom made watch with cremated ash
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 09:41:41 AM »
That is singularly interesting...I imagine u'd need custom work done, have someone modify a timepiece for u. The ash could be mixed with paints and some kind of fixer maybe, and applied to the watch dial.

One possibility that comes to mind are Seiko mods. The seiko mod community is quite extensive and are accustomed to commissioning work involving one-offs such as this, u just need to find a reputable modder who can execute the work. As far as watches go, Seikos are fairly ubiquitous with plenty of parts readily available for modification, maintenance, so ur watch will be well and running with spares aplenty for years to come. On top of that, even if in the unlikely even something does happen to the watch, say the case gets severely damage or something, u could salvage the dial to transplant into another seiko easily enough.

Offline jf98

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 03:19:53 PM »
Agreed with pleasuresaurus on this one...maybe you can request a seiko modder to incorporate some of the ashes into the luminous material?

Offline bendanzhu

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 04:24:02 PM »
That is singularly interesting...I imagine u'd need custom work done, have someone modify a timepiece for u. The ash could be mixed with paints and some kind of fixer maybe, and applied to the watch dial.

One possibility that comes to mind are Seiko mods. The seiko mod community is quite extensive and are accustomed to commissioning work involving one-offs such as this, u just need to find a reputable modder who can execute the work. As far as watches go, Seikos are fairly ubiquitous with plenty of parts readily available for modification, maintenance, so ur watch will be well and running with spares aplenty for years to come. On top of that, even if in the unlikely even something does happen to the watch, say the case gets severely damage or something, u could salvage the dial to transplant into another seiko easily enough.

Thank you very much! Never heard there's such a community modifying Seikos. Will definitely check them out.