Author Topic: Questions about Omega  (Read 2184 times)

Offline davido

Questions about Omega
« on: December 08, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »
I'm about to purchase an Omega, and being a lifetime investment for me, I hope to get some feedback about the brand.

Purpose is for everyday wear, for the office, beach, jungle trekking, city living, mamak, traveling, etc.
My Tag Heuer currently fills this role - have it for 25 years and never gave a problem. I love it so much, but now it looks a bit old. I will still wear my old Tag with the Omega - probably 80% Omega, and 20% Tag.
For special occasions, I have a Rolex, so I'm not expecting the Omega to fill this role for fine elegance.

I considered Tudor, but the price tag of perhaps RM10k makes it difficult to wear to the beach.
But is it practical to wear an Omega to the beach? I expect the watch to last a lifetime, just like my Tag.

I'm actually focusing on Omega Seamaster Diver 300m and Seamaster Planet Ocean (men's size).
I hear they are priced around RM10k?

But what are those numbers and do they matter? 2225.80.00,  212.30.41.20.03.001

I'm also confused about co-axial. chronometer, manual mechanical, etc. As far as I know, they are quartz and automatic. Does it really matter whether it uses co-axial, chronometer and so on? I would appreciate a longer power reserve and option to manually wind if I don't wear it for the day.

I prefer quartz. Because sometimes I may not use it for 3-4 days and hate the hassle of resetting it. I have a watch winder, but prefer quartz for practical reasons. Unfortunately Omega stopped producing quartz.
I hear the quartz is also cheaper - this makes it more practical for rough wear. No need to worry about a RM5k watch on the beach.

I'm considering a used Seamaster quartz because new Omegas are only in automatic. But of course I prefer to buy new. Its like a tradeoff. Difficult choice - 50/50 for me.

I'm going to Singapore for Christmas. Is it cheaper to buy in Singapore than in KL?

I will most likely buy the Seamaster in a pair - women's and men's (couple watch). The women's new Seamaster is still available in Quartz. Pity they stopped the men's quartz version.

Any idea does the new Tudor come in Quartz?

Many thanks. I'm untrained about these watches.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Questions about Omega
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »
Since you prefer quartz, you may check out Seamaster Aqua Terra.
http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/aqua-terra-150-m/quartz-38-5-mm/23110396006001
Though it is not as sporty as Seamaster Diver, but it is not a problem to wear on beach or some water activities, it has a water resistant of 150m.

Offline davido

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »
Thanks. That's certainly worth considering.

Any idea if other Omega ranges also have quartz?

Offline Everdying

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 03:01:05 PM »
just cos they stopped production of the seamaster quartz, does not mean you still cant find it.
some ADs still have the seamaster quartz in stock, try going to those in popular shopping malls like mid valley, gardens and one utama.

i dont understand why you cant wear a rm10k tudor to the beach, yet are considering a planet ocean which brand new retails at rm18k.

but long story short, looks like your best choice as u have mentioned is a used seamaster quartz which u can find for rm4k+ in the market here.

Offline davido

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 03:40:07 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the tip about the old stocks. Raises a glimmer of hope.

I must admit my research was wrong. I haven't enquire the price of Planet Ocean. Didn't know its RM18k - I have to cross that out of my list.

I'll be visiting the ADs this Sunday at 1U and Mid Valley. Prior to going, I wanted to do some fact finding so I don't go in blurr.

Will browse the market here. If you happen to come across any pre-owned Seamaster Quartz, can drop me a note. My timeline to buy is 2 weeks from now.

Many thanks.

Offline Everdying

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
take note a brand new seamaster quartz is around rm8-9k.

best you go source for a used automatic seamaster, they go for around rm5-6k+.
or a used planet ocean 2500 that usually sells below rm8k.

you'll find a few here - http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/board,6.0.html

Offline davido

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »
Thanks for the price indication. First choice is the new quartz Diver 300m - if I can find it that is.

Will be going to Singapore on Dec 11 - will also check out the options there.

Thanks for the link - much appreciated.

Also found a used Seamaster Quartz going for less than 5k - not my first choice since its not the Diver model. But the menu choices are limited anyway... :P