Author Topic: Advice needed: Buying my first Rolex  (Read 6679 times)

Offline OTSAR55

Advice needed: Buying my first Rolex
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:06:36 AM »
Hi everyone. I'm planning to buy my first Rolex. I have did some reading across various forums, and am leaning towards Explorer II. I went to klcc yesterday to take a look. Was quoted (removed) discount against RP. I'd like to seek advice from the sifus here if there are any ADs that they can recommend to me? That would be very helpful in my hunt :) Cheers

No talk on discounts. Please use PM. Tq
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:17:28 AM by hanz079 »

Offline tonykpk

Re: Advice needed: Buying my first Rolex
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »
Try to get a (lnib) used one that is still under warranty . It will save you about 3 - 4 k compare to new after discount.

Offline OTSAR55

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »
Thanks Tony. Sorry but I'm really new into this. Will LNIB products be of "lower" value vs. buying new from AD? Any cons in buying lnib or from a shop like wing wah?

Offline Yoda

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 01:47:56 PM »
I went to one AD at starhill they quoted at (removed) discount for non hot item last Dec.

Is it true that no more (removed) this time just (removed)?

if that is true price increase again beginning of this year?

No talk on discounts. Kindly use PM. Tq
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:18:51 AM by hanz079 »
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »
Try xxx, my experience with them is good

[Forum Mods - no mentioning of Ad name]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:11:30 PM by ck77 »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:55:36 PM »
If you're buying to wear, I'd say buy pre-owned. For eg., I saw a pre-owned piece which was a few months old at my local grey dealer for just over 18k, which would be about 5k savings at the discounted price. That means dealers will take it for less than 18k. Much less...

The Exp2 does take a bit more of a hit than say a Submariner Date when you're offloading it for a different piece. And it's not the kind of watch you would reserve for "special" events. It's more of the daily use watch (beater).

Lots of reputable sellers right here in the forum. Or you could take it as a nice hunt for one, learning about it and looking for the right one. Or 5k is nothing to you and not worth the time spent trying to save it.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »
the pro of getting a brand new (besides the facts that its new... ;D) is you might be building a fruitful relationship with the AD, which might be useful for future acquisition.....

the pro of getting a used are already well documented by the experienced people here....

all the best...
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline APLOVER

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »
A used Rolex in excellent condition is a better choice so that you do not lose when you want to upgrade in time to come

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:50:32 PM »
A used Rolex in excellent condition is a better choice so that you do not lose when you want to upgrade in time to come

You always lose. It's the quantum of loss. Maybe it's better to say that Rolex prices follow inflation closer than other brands, but you still lose.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 06:38:45 AM »
I agree with Pexus here. I bought my very first Rolex brand new from an AD and then built a nice relationship with them. When the time came where I wanted a limited edition Grand Seiko, it was at this AD which I managed to acquire it. Most other places didn't even have stock. So yes, building a good relationship with an AD is important. And...to top it all off...what better feeling can there be removing the stickers at an AD and having them size the bracelet for you and then wearing it out of the shop grinning from ear to ear like a silly puppy?

DC

the pro of getting a brand new (besides the facts that its new... ;D) is you might be building a fruitful relationship with the AD, which might be useful for future acquisition.....

the pro of getting a used are already well documented by the experienced people here....

all the best...

Offline yo_watch

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 06:49:54 AM »
buy the used one and u can even find a good quality on watch and money.

Offline contender

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »
Well it is personal choice to buy NEW or Pre-owned/loved/2nd hand/re-cond whatever you may want to call ....... same as cars, 2nd hand watch or cars have taken the depreciation or beating so will be cheaper for sure ..... good things don't come cheap, they are cheap for a reason .....  :thumbsup:

First Rolex should be NEW, after you got poisoned .... then you can go pre-owned and trade and buy and collect  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Wayne18

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 11:17:13 AM »
Well it is personal choice to buy NEW or Pre-owned/loved/2nd hand/re-cond whatever you may want to call ....... same as cars, 2nd hand watch or cars have taken the depreciation or beating so will be cheaper for sure ..... good things don't come cheap, they are cheap for a reason .....  :thumbsup:

First Rolex should be NEW, after you got poisoned .... then you can go pre-owned and trade and buy and collect  :Laughing_on_floor:

Totally agree with this, if its your first watch and a reward for yourself i suggest you get a new one from Rolex AD. You can pass them to your children next time and tell them the story how you achieve them. I also bought/reward myself a new GMT 2 from local AD and plan to crave my last name on it.
An electrical salesman, a cigar smoker and trader.

Offline echoesian

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »

Totally agree with this, if its your first watch and a reward for yourself i suggest you get a new one from Rolex AD. You can pass them to your children next time and tell them the story how you achieve them. I also bought/reward myself a new GMT 2 from local AD and plan to crave my last name on it.

Hi, do you mind to share how much did you buy the GMT 2?

Offline Calibr

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm planning to buy my first Rolex. I have did some reading across various forums, and am leaning towards Explorer II. I went to klcc yesterday to take a look. Was quoted (removed) discount against RP. I'd like to seek advice from the sifus here if there are any ADs that they can recommend to me? That would be very helpful in my hunt :) Cheers

No talk on discounts. Please use PM. Tq

So have you bought your Explorer II? If the buyer doesn't bother about Cantonese superstitions and taboos, the white dial actually looks nicer, which is also more popular in other countries. :Cheers:

Offline contender

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 09:12:48 PM »
Why the Explorer II white dial have got to do with superstitious ? Care to enlightened us ...

Offline llcj

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »
Why the Explorer II white dial have got to do with superstitious ? Care to enlightened us ...

It is not specifically for Explorer II but white dial Rolexes in general. Try pronouce "white" "Rolex" in Cantonese you will understand, if u r Cantonese that is. "Bak Loh", meaning work for nothing.....

Btw, i think the forum should allow input of Chinese characters, that would be good. Moderators?

Offline contender

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »

It is not specifically for Explorer II but white dial Rolexes in general. Try pronouce "white" "Rolex" in Cantonese you will understand, if u r Cantonese that is. "Bak Loh", meaning work for nothing.....

Btw, i think the forum should allow input of Chinese characters, that would be good. Moderators?

Ahh I see ... I only heard about the blue Rolex, but Batman Rolex doing well ? Same "LAN" LOU .... difficult to work ..

Offline llcj

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 05:30:45 AM »
Ahh I see ... I only heard about the blue Rolex, but Batman Rolex doing well ? Same "LAN" LOU .... difficult to work ..

Yes. and similarly, gold rolex is most popular becoz "kam loh".... very lasting of making money...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 05:32:55 AM by llcj »

Offline Jarod200

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 08:51:03 AM »
I suggest that you try all of the available rolex model on, the right one should give you that tingling feeling  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline silverstan

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 09:23:11 AM »
If money / budget allowed, same as other bros' suggestion, first Rolex go to AD, build good relationship with them.  :thumbsup: