Author Topic: What music genres are you into?  (Read 19083 times)

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
What music genres are you into?
« on: November 19, 2011, 07:49:23 AM »
Ok I'm going to flag off with mine.

Basically I listen to very wide range of music, from oldies (e.g. Carpenters, Lobo, ABBA, Beatles, etc) to all sorts of metal and rock hardcore shit (e.g. Dream Theater, Lamb of God, Liquid Tension Experiment, Rage Against The Machine, Death, etc).

But I'm more into the latter ones because the heavy riffs and rhythms are really ass-kicking! I love guitars and drums, especially the double-bass drumming. I always wish to own a set of drum kit with all sorts of crashes and splashes, toms and kick drums, etc. But that's just a dream, coz it's just freaking expensive to customize one for my own need.  :Praying:

Recently I've came across an instrumental progressive metal band, known as Animals As Leaders. Formed by 3 blokes, founded by a very young-aged self-taught guitarist, Tosin Abasi. Their riffs are crazy, no bass guitar but they are using 8-stringed Ibanez guitars. The 7th and 8th strings are good enough to kick up the riffs! Check out the YouTube link below: :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc&ob=av3e

Well, maybe the song might not suit everyone here but that's my taste and I'm very much dig into it. Music is like a part of my life which I can't live without one, it's more like a therapy I guess. I always drive along with music, work along with music, and I've almost used up all my 16GB space on my phone memory card due to about 2000 songs in it!  :Scolding: It's time to get a 32GB now.  ;D

Ok what about you guys? What sort of music are you guys into? Let's share shall we?  :Cheers:

Visit my Sales Thread here for nylon watch straps and RIOS 1931 leather straps: http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/board,35.0.html

Offline Angryrodent

Re: What music genres are you into?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:21:42 AM »
Well I'm very wide in my range.. favs is classical, 70's rock, 80's metal,90's musical deathmetal,hardcore deathmetal and black metal,2000...naaah i really only listen to stuff done before 2000. Fav bands Faith no more (or anything done by mike patton),Eucharist,Death,Dire straits, Dark Funeral, Dissection and so many more
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:45:16 AM »
Well I'm very wide in my range.. favs is classical, 70's rock, 80's metal,90's musical deathmetal,hardcore deathmetal and black metal,2000...naaah i really only listen to stuff done before 2000. Fav bands Faith no more (or anything done by mike patton),Eucharist,Death,Dire straits, Dark Funeral, Dissection and so many more

classical in such as yngwie malmsteen or george bellas?

of all the bands that you mentioned, Death is my favorite.

post 2000? justin bieber?  :Laughing_on_floor:

Visit my Sales Thread here for nylon watch straps and RIOS 1931 leather straps: http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/board,35.0.html

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 08:11:36 AM »
Justin bieber.. heard his name but never his music (happy 2 say) Now the guitarist from one of the  Death albums (spiritual healing) also like Chuck RIP have brain cancer hope he will do well.

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »
Justin bieber.. heard his name but never his music (happy 2 say) Now the guitarist from one of the  Death albums (spiritual healing) also like Chuck RIP have brain cancer hope he will do well.

is it James Murphy? poor fella, hope he gets well soon...

lucky you that you have never listen to any Justin's songs before, this fella makes me sick and wanna puke...  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline silverstan

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 08:58:01 AM »
bossanova, jazz, latin, classic, blues, trance, vocal trance, house..

so many to list out... lol

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »
bossanova, jazz, latin, classic, blues, trance, vocal trance, house..

so many to list out... lol

aaaa... talk abt jazz, i like Fourplay!

as well as Chemical Brothers for trance music...

:Cheers:

Offline GlennTanChiaChiah

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 08:19:12 PM »
Nice to see other forum members have good taste in matters other than horology. I myself have had different phases in musical preference. Here's what you'll find on my iTunes playlist: Frederic Chopin, Claude Debussy, Antonin Dvorak, Kitaro, Gustav Holst, Chick Corea and Return to Forever, Miles Davis, Oscar Peterson, AC/DC, AFI, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for My Valentine, Children of Bodom, Coheed and Cambria, Dream Theater, Foo Fighters, Head Automatica, Incubus, Jimi Hendrix, Lamb of God, Led Zeppelin, Liquid Tension Experiment, Meshuggah, Opeth, Pink Floyd, The Used, 30 Seconds to Mars, Boyce Avenue, Coldplay, The Fray, Jamie Cullum, John Mayer, Khalil Fong, OneRepublic, The Reign of Kindo. Sorry for the extensive list.

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
Nice to see other forum members have good taste in matters other than horology. I myself have had different phases in musical preference. Here's what you'll find on my iTunes playlist: Frederic Chopin, Claude Debussy, Antonin Dvorak, Kitaro, Gustav Holst, Chick Corea and Return to Forever, Miles Davis, Oscar Peterson, AC/DC, AFI, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for My Valentine, Children of Bodom, Coheed and Cambria, Dream Theater, Foo Fighters, Head Automatica, Incubus, Jimi Hendrix, Lamb of God, Led Zeppelin, Liquid Tension Experiment, Meshuggah, Opeth, Pink Floyd, The Used, 30 Seconds to Mars, Boyce Avenue, Coldplay, The Fray, Jamie Cullum, John Mayer, Khalil Fong, OneRepublic, The Reign of Kindo. Sorry for the extensive list.

whoa seriously long list there...  :shocked1:

from classical to head banging metals, i assume you're someone who enjoys music very much, aren't you?

another worth mentioning prog-rock band is Transatlantic, a supergroup formed by Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, Pete Trewavas and Roine Stolt.

collected all of their albums as well as live concerts, awesome supergroup i'd say...

:thumbsup:

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 07:05:08 AM »
Any deathmetal fans... would be cool if you come and check out our show in kl in Jan :)

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 07:08:30 AM »
Any deathmetal fans... would be cool if you come and check out our show in kl in Jan :)

ooooo~ Angryrodent do you perform onstage?

what's your "weapon"?  ;D

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
I fail with guitar, bass and vocals :)... the strings are not played at the same time hehe one or the other...

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 07:35:46 AM »
I fail with guitar, bass and vocals :)... the strings are not played at the same time hehe one or the other...

so you're with drumming aren't you?

btw, what's the name of your band? cromok?  ;D

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »
I'm a music student, hence the variety is a must.  ;D

That being said, I still do enjoy music. I don't limit myself to listen to or play a certain style or genre; anything that catches my ears deserves a listen. It could be anything from the cheesiest top 40 to the deadliest death metal.

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »
I'm a music student, hence the variety is a must.  ;D

That being said, I still do enjoy music. I don't limit myself to listen to or play a certain style or genre; anything that catches my ears deserves a listen. It could be anything from the cheesiest top 40 to the deadliest death metal.

i WAS a music student too! took my piano lesson when i was during my primary school, then quit at grade 6 due to lost of interest.  :HammerHead:

although not making use of my knowledge of music to earn a living, i still enjoy music so much that i think most of the passion comes from my younger days of music learning...

so what do you play/learn, Inxomnia?  :Cheers:

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
Music actually has a broader scope than what the general public thinks, professional musicians today now have a diverse range of career options and are not just limited to time on stage or in the studio (despite that being the norm). Music journalism, criticism and talent scouting for one (cause who knows, the next rock supergroup might just be lying in wait in your own backyard!) Music therapy has seen acceptance as a form of alternative medicine in the west and our closest neighbor, Singapore swears by it with proven results! More traditional career paths include studio session musicians, performing artistes, composition, arranging, audio production etc. Too much to mention! Which is what persuaded me to further my studies in this field; music.

Despite my initial training in classical piano, I've since moved on to study Contemporary Music in university. I'm also a self taught guitarist with roots in blues and heavy/progressive metal, although the latter comes first. \m/ 8) \m/

For those of you who're interested, here's an interesting article on how musicians suffering from amnesia can lose all memory of their past but still retain their musical skills. Mods feel free to remove if inappropriate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15791973

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 06:14:14 AM »
I like the chinese classical music. I do also play the chinese erhu. Been tutored by a professional young chinese sifu many moons ago. One of my favorite play is the " Once upon a time in China'...and the 'blind begger'....amateur level.

I was inspired by those players who freely expressed their feeling via playing the music in the park (in many parts of China, while I was there for a vacation). How I wished, I could join them.

I have not one but two erhu instruments, made of red wood and another one with an ancient wood with a dragon head...beautiful pcs, if you asked me. These erhus cannot be simply moved in / out of country as they made part of snake skin which in nature prohibited in some countries.

And no, I do not read chinese... I played by the ear.............

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 06:19:36 AM »
I like the chinese classical music. I do also play the chinese erhu. Been tutored by a professional young chinese sifu many moons ago. One of my favorite play is the " Once upon a time in China'...and the 'blind begger'....amateur level.

I was inspired by those players who freely expressed their feeling via playing the music in the park (in many parts of China, while I was there for a vacation). How I wished, I could join them.

I have not one but two erhu instruments, made of red wood and another one with an ancient wood with a dragon head...beautiful pcs, if you asked me. These erhus cannot be simply moved in / out of country as they made part of snake skin which in nature prohibited in some countries.

And no, I do not read chinese... I played by the ear.............

dc

play by hearing? that's interesting though...

my father was a band boy when he was young, playin guitars and organ/piano...

he can't read notes or music scores, so he plays by ear, by feel...

according to my grandma, he was musically talented but couldn't afford to let him take up any music classes...

right now he still occasionally plays guitar and piano to entertain his grandchildren...  :laugh:

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 02:27:10 PM »
For me it's Pop songs from the yesteryears - 70's pop & rock, 80's hard rock, 90's R&B + some jazzy tunes, 2000s pop (especially from Asia like Korea, India, Banghra).

Justin Bieber's songs? "Baby, Baby, Baby ..... Oh!" :Laughing_on_floor:
Kinda cute, IMO. But not my cup of sone.  ;D

BTW, I do not play any musical instruments as I was "musically dead", but I do enjoy listening to music to relax.

Offline kiamat

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
u2, radiohead, bb king, bob marley, the cure, the clash, benny goodman, suede, the police, prodigy, the beatles, massive attack, faye wong, annie lennox, norman brown, nine inch nails, dj tiesto, dr dre, snoop dogg, beastie boys, chris botti, feist, lavender diamond, lightning seeds, sheila majid, beck, jamie cullum, jeff beck, jon hopkins, karen o, sigur ros, gomez, minipop, coconut records, underworld, metallica, sepultura, megadeth, slayer, steve vai, joe satriani, eric johnson, frank zappa, m takanaka, pizzicato 5, linkin park, katie melua, death cab for cuties, coldplay, queen, jenny lewis, she & him, a fine frenzy, sissel, ramones, van halen, eminem, nat king cole, billy taylor trio, black sabbath, motorhead, kiss, aerosmith, oasis, kt tunstall, snow patrol, sade, nina simone, led zeppelin, whitesnake, club 8, elton john, moby, dionne warwick, aretha franklin, madonna, prince, lady gaga, enya, nirvana, pearl jam, soundgarden, pantera, ravi shankar, philip glass, ar rahman, ladysmith black mambazo, john mayall, johnny winter, broadway, soundtrack, classical and opera.

i am very fortunate to have been to u2, metallica, bb king, eric clapton, john mayall, buddy guy, dj tiesto, steve vai, g3 (vai, satriani & johnson) live performances. however, linkin park kl gig sucks!!! what kinda rock concert without no moshing!!! whiskey tango foxtrot!!!

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »
u2, radiohead, bb king, bob marley, the cure, the clash, benny goodman, suede, the police, prodigy, the beatles, massive attack, faye wong, annie lennox, norman brown, nine inch nails, dj tiesto, dr dre, snoop dogg, beastie boys, chris botti, feist, lavender diamond, lightning seeds, sheila majid, beck, jamie cullum, jeff beck, jon hopkins, karen o, sigur ros, gomez, minipop, coconut records, underworld, metallica, sepultura, megadeth, slayer, steve vai, joe satriani, eric johnson, frank zappa, m takanaka, pizzicato 5, linkin park, katie melua, death cab for cuties, coldplay, queen, jenny lewis, she & him, a fine frenzy, sissel, ramones, van halen, eminem, nat king cole, billy taylor trio, black sabbath, motorhead, kiss, aerosmith, oasis, kt tunstall, snow patrol, sade, nina simone, led zeppelin, whitesnake, club 8, elton john, moby, dionne warwick, aretha franklin, madonna, prince, lady gaga, enya, nirvana, pearl jam, soundgarden, pantera, ravi shankar, philip glass, ar rahman, ladysmith black mambazo, john mayall, johnny winter, broadway, soundtrack, classical and opera.

i am very fortunate to have been to u2, metallica, bb king, eric clapton, john mayall, buddy guy, dj tiesto, steve vai, g3 (vai, satriani & johnson) live performances. however, linkin park kl gig sucks!!! what kinda rock concert without no moshing!!! whiskey tango foxtrot!!!

wow! your preferable music genres are wide! and envy of you that you've been to some of the greatest concerts there! steve vai sure rocked the stage real well eh? ;) you're damn lucky mate...

Offline kiamat

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »

wow! your preferable music genres are wide! and envy of you that you've been to some of the greatest concerts there! steve vai sure rocked the stage real well eh? ;) you're damn lucky mate...

yeah mannn... also he places the fan to blow his hair LOL he has good showmanship. i used to buy tab books of eric johnson, joe satriani, steve vai, metallica, etc tried to dabble but just wasn't good enough. just bits and parts here and there. enough to try out guitars in public places. usually it is metallica seek and destroy and master of puppets LOL

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 04:57:24 PM »

yeah mannn... also he places the fan to blow his hair LOL he has good showmanship. i used to buy tab books of eric johnson, joe satriani, steve vai, metallica, etc tried to dabble but just wasn't good enough. just bits and parts here and there. enough to try out guitars in public places. usually it is metallica seek and destroy and master of puppets LOL

the hair blowing thingy? that's his classic style man~ LOL! i like the G3 concert where steve vai, joe satriani and yngwie malmsteen rocked the stage, yngwie was just so "hyperactive" running along the stage and showing some leg kickings LOL!
 :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline rozifrasid

• Freshie
  • the time is not a gold, but it is a life...
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 02:52:27 AM »
EDM( Electronic Dance Music) especially from Armin van Buuren, Sanxion7, Joop, Dave202, Fonzerelli, Airbase, Marcus Schulz, Ferry Corsten, Tiesto, Daft Punk, Alex Kunnari and the hot gorgeous Nadia Ali...hahaha!!

Slipknot, Radiohead, Metallica, Leona Lewis...hehehe...Beyonce maa...she's hott!!!!  :Cheers:

:Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping:
rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid rozifrasid

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 07:37:07 AM »
EDM( Electronic Dance Music) especially from Armin van Buuren, Sanxion7, Joop, Dave202, Fonzerelli, Airbase, Marcus Schulz, Ferry Corsten, Tiesto, Daft Punk, Alex Kunnari and the hot gorgeous Nadia Ali...hahaha!!

Slipknot, Radiohead, Metallica, Leona Lewis...hehehe...Beyonce maa...she's hott!!!!  :Cheers:

:Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping: :Jumping:

never into those EDM thingy LOL...

Slipknot was one of my favorite band but not from the album after Iowa. Not quite get used to the sudden change of their musical direction.

But no doubt Joey Jordison and Mick Thompson are still my favorite metal icons.

And the lost of Paul Gray was indeed a tragic...

By the way anyone's going to Dream Theater concert in S'pore this coming 2nd of May? Can't wait to see them!!! LOL! :p