Author Topic: Banks  (Read 16231 times)

Offline genec

Banks
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:03:23 PM »
Hello all forumers

Would be glad to have your inputs here. I'm gonna open my bank account after 3 months back here.
But I don't know which banks have the best facilities, for me the most important one is Internet banking, and a network of ATMs.

So,
1. Internet banking
2. Extensive ATM network
3. Good customer service

Any bank fulfills these criteria?

Thanks!

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Banks
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:12:02 PM »
i think maybank has the most atms network.

Offline brolex

• Why so serious?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:05:07 PM »
Maybank is awesome  :thumbsup:

So, in the nutshell, the finer things in life does not have to be the most expensive or exotic item or place one could have.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:26:35 PM »
Even I dnt have maybank acc but i admit that maybank is awesome. one thg u need to note is Maybank always clouded esp month end (pay day). If u dnt like maybank thn u shd consider CIMB , their customer service is  :thumbsup:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:04:47 PM »
I prefer public bank.
Counter service speedy...
Ample branches with ATMs...
Solid internet banking site...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline krusell

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
Would recommend you Maybank. Interactive and easy online banking.
"Happy are they that can hear their detractions and put them to mending"

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:48:16 PM »
always have had good experience with Public Bank.

Maybank ...slow counter services and damn crowded.

but nothing beats POSB/DBS over here for convenience  :Laughing_on_floor:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline genec

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 11:08:46 PM »
Seems like Maybank is winning some hearts here.

Dad is pushing for ocbc.....reason? Close to house....... Still have this brick and mortar mentality. Ol school...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 11:10:31 PM by genec »

Offline genec

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 11:09:49 PM »
Speaking bout public bank
Anyone seen their anniversary dinner video on YouTube??? Hahahha :Laughing_on_floor:
All hail tan sri.....

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 11:45:15 PM »
he deserves the accolade...from a bank manager to Maybank's GM in his thirties...and setting out on his to to set his own bank.

one of the most transparent bank in Asia..also the trusted bank of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce. The bank does not smurf around with it's shareholder's monies.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline genec

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 11:57:41 PM »
he deserves the accolade...from a bank manager to Maybank's GM in his thirties...and setting out on his to to set his own bank.

one of the most transparent bank in Asia..also the trusted bank of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce. The bank does not smurf around with it's shareholder's monies.

I totally agree that! I think it's a shame that he is put in such a spot light!I bet the people that is responsible for this charade won't be getting a raise this year. Anyway, thanks for all the input! Would welcome more discussion on bank's service.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:29:34 AM by genec »

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 07:46:16 AM »
If you want convenient to withdraw money, then Maybank
If you want to deposit and win prize, then CIMB
If you want the bank facility, then RHB
If you want to access the bank facility locally and oversea, then HSBC
If you want count your money daily, then OCBC, cause near yr house ma  :Laughing_on_floor:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »
1. Internet banking
All major banks offer similar facilities whether international banks or local banks. My pick = HSBC, Maybank or Public Bank.

2. Extensive ATM network
For sure local banks win hands down. My pick MAybank followed by CIMB.

3. Good customer service
Most banks especially international banks, offer privilaged, efficient & courteous services.
Local banks which did not lack behind are Public Bank.

Final say is up to you as convenience is also a major factor. (Be it near your home or office)

Cheers. 

Offline bryankwc

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »
Have to agree with Brompton.
Dropped into Maybank just after lunch to bayar Income Tax. :(
The long wait due to slow service just gets me down :Scolding:
Anyway, most ATMs are inter-linked nowadays.  So, that shouldn't be a problem except if you wanna do your deposits or payments at night.
"My dream;
      Rolex by day &
               Patek by night." ;)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »
Maybank is Malaysia's flagship bank... service slow as snails...
CIMB is so and so's brother's bank... service slow as turtles...
BSN is our National Bank... service non existant!!!
 :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 01:00:50 PM »
Maybank is Malaysia's flagship bank... service slow as snails...
CIMB is so and so's brother's bank... service slow as turtles...
BSN is our National Bank... service non existant!!!
 :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
That bad meh, never bother to try yet :Laughing_on_floor:
One time I was depositing my customers money into his account and the counter staff did a mistake by depositing it in another persons account.
I highlighted the mistake and she asked me to go back and write a letter explaining the mistake before she can correct it and to say that I wrote the wrong number on the deposit slip (covering own ass tactic)
I refused because I wrote the correct number and name, so it's obviously her fault... she start raising her voice at me which I retaliated... made a scene at the bank and most customers there are on my side...  ;D

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »
Watchnewby, we seem to share the same opinion. Are we of similar profession, ............ I wonder :laugh:
Zitan,

I am in the finance line. 'ow 'bout yurself?
Am also replying to original thread starter asking opinion on the 3 items - internet banking, ATM network & cust. svc.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »
Hello all forumers

Would be glad to have your inputs here. I'm gonna open my bank account after 3 months back here.
But I don't know which banks have the best facilities, for me the most important one is Internet banking, and a network of ATMs.

So,
1. Internet banking
2. Extensive ATM network
3. Good customer service

Any bank fulfills these criteria?

Thanks!

most banks have (1) and (2) and some have (3) but i doubt there is any bank in Malaysia with all 3 you require.

Offline genec

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Good response here!

another question, what do you guys think of storing watches in bank safe deposit boxes?
IMO, unless it absolutely cost a bomb, like an MB&F....etc....it is unnecessary
I like to take out my watch, look at it, give it a little clean and polish from time to time.....so its not practical to do that in the bank...haha
what's your take?  :thumbsup:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 10:23:45 AM »
Good response here!

another question, what do you guys think of storing watches in bank safe deposit boxes?
I like to take out my watch, look at it, give it a little clean and polish from time to time.....so its not practical to do that in the bank...haha
I'm not into bank safes...
My guess is if you can afford brands like MB&F like you mentioned, or any other high end brands... owning your own safe in your home would not be that much of a problem right?  ;D

Offline genec

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 10:26:56 AM »
Good response here!

I'm not into bank safes...
My guess is if you can afford brands like MB&F like you mentioned, or any other high end brands... owning your own safe in your home would not be that much of a problem right?  ;D

haha
i'm only using MB&F as an example......not in a million years could I afford them.
but i've also heard horror stories like how the people that deliver the safe.....they are the ultimate crooks....
this happened to a family friend, home has never been broken into, just one week after getting a safe, got broken in.....
and the thing is the safe wasn't used for storing any valuables, only passports and documentations......

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »
My close relative stayed in a gated community, these thieves comes in with a nice pick up truck and break into his house within minutes when the family left for dinner. It was a professional done job. They use the bed sheet to 'ta-pau' the safe and drag it all the way to the waiting truck.

The guard even 'opened' the barrier bar to release the truck without checking...Luckily no one was at home at that moment or the consequences would be bad.

Now, let gets to the original topics....

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 11:42:16 AM »
Zitan - PM sent.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »
Good response here!

Genec, bank safe deposit box are not really safe la, T&C apply. There are 3rd parties Safe deposit available too, and allow you to insure the amount of the contents in the Safe.

As for the Safe deposit box at home, professional will advise you to have 2, one is obvious in the study room or Master bed room, get a few replica, jewelry and money in this safe, then the other one is hiding somewhere, that you will put all the real deal.

Just my 17 cents  ;D
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 11:57:22 AM »
Unfortunately, I am not that high class in the finance side, Watchnewby, just a kuli type of service provider ;)

Same lah with me, Bro zitan. I am just a worker in Finance Dept. of a manufacturing company in Bandar Sunway.

My take on the bank safe deposit boxes (as asked by genec in earlier posts) -
IMO, not necessary, because I may want to caress, molest and feel my watches from time to time. It will be more practical for my watch to be kept in the house than the bank safe.