Author Topic: Pre-owned Dealers in the Klang Valley, The Passionate / Business ones  (Read 6178 times)

Offline David_cheong

In respond to one Venice quotes on pre-owned dealers....
I have decided to start a new thread here....

There are currently many preowned / second hand watch dealers in our local scene. Only 5 years back, you can count the selected few in the Klang Valley.

In the early days, you can only find them in the 2nd hand goods section in the local Star paper. Then suddenly, these shops mushroom around in the shopping complex, especially in the Bukti Bintang area. Only a few survived though.

I remembered a few pioneer ones are at the Central market / Kota Raya complexs / Subang Jaya SS15 and the one at USJ. However, those days, they operates by conventional methods and never goes on line. I have deal with the earlier generation and now the sons took over....

If my memory doesn't failed me, the few pioneer ones are the coxxectors Times and after came the Paxxion Sg....to name a few.

IMHO, there are 2 types of second hand dealers. One who is passionate dealer and the other a business minded dealer who is out to make a quick profits..

The passionate ones (only a handful) loves their wares so much that the watches traded in are up to par and in precision condition. Anything below their expectation, will be rejected or be quoted lowly and will be deposited elsewhere in the market. The acceptable (trade in) ones are refurbished with original parts and resell at reasonable profits. The consumers have peace of mind buying from these dealers, even though its merchandises are  quoted much higher.

On the other hand, a.business minded dealer will accept trade in when he thinks that piece is a moving stock, a minor touch up here and there and resell at his counter to make a quick profits. Worse some are just sold without prechecking to the next customer. Their motto; waits until the customer complains.....after all, these shops usually have their in house warranty.

So, as is I liked to deal with the passionate ones, I usually asked for the best quotes (and he knows I will never counter bargain his offer). It up to me to accept or decline the offer.

On the other hand, we sometimes find after market parts in watches (not straps / bracelets). And usually the business minded dealers themselves are not aware of this.

In these scenarios, I would rather pay a little bit more for a precision and a 100% authentic 2nd hand watches over a heavy bargained ones in the same bracket.

What say you?...

My 2 cts.

dc

I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline 7thfort

• Yeehah
Dear DC,

Are OE replacement watch parts available or one have to get it direct from the original manufacturers?

Offline David_cheong

As of yesterday, I tried to 'jolt' some information from my friendly dealer but to no avail. Those are trade secret. But on general feedback, almost all OE parts are source from the original manufacturer. Those watches under his care can be brought direct to AD service centre for further authentication...

On another note, these dealers are 'interlink' with each other...ie, many are cautioned when ever a 'problematic' time piece surfaced in the market, these groups have close contacts.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
I always go for the real McCoy.... not a 100% stickler in terms of being exactly as it was coming out of the factory but has to be original and looks consistent.
For e.g. saw a vintage Omega with reeaally nice dial but the "newer" looking hands just doesnt do it for me. It was still sold quite quickly though.
But... if it's a "cheaper" watch like <RM2k, I can be more forgiving if an external part is suspect... 
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline Everdying

i've encountered the 'business minded' one before.
bought a pre-owned Omega, the dealer claimed that he has opened it up and done a thorough check, but the red dot was still intact...

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
bought a pre-owned Omega, the dealer claimed that he has opened it up and done a thorough check, but the red dot was still intact...

What's the red dot?  ???
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline CKL1213

What's the red dot?  ???

based on internet myth:

Red dot - brand new, case never opened (something like void if tampered)

Blue dot - case had been opened but serviced by authorized service centre

Offline Everdying

based on internet myth:

why a myth when its a fact?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
based on internet myth:

Myth because I have seen Omega Watches with the red dot intact even when the caseback have been opened in front of me.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline AsherLim

• Freshie
based on internet myth:

Myth because I have seen Omega Watches with the red dot intact even when the caseback have been opened in front of me.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/omega-red-dot-vs-blue-dot-underside-watch-332480.html

Quote from watchuseek: I suspect Omega reserves it for watches they reasonably believe have only ever been worked on by them.

It could be that the blue dot is only put in when the watch is sent back to Omega for service.

Offline Everdying

Re: Pre-owned Dealers in the Klang Valley, The Passionate / Business ones
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 10:17:52 AM »

far as i can see, the red dot is similar to how envelopes are sealed, linking the case and caseback.
perhaps what you saw was remnants of the red dot?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 03:11:26 PM »

far as i can see, the red dot is similar to how envelopes are sealed, linking the case and caseback.
perhaps what you saw was remnants of the red dot?

It could be, but to the untrained eye, it could easily pass as "red dot intact"
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »
based on internet myth:

I used the word "myth" is because I don't see any documentation from Omega claiming the purpose of Red & Blue dot hence it is not official and I don't dare to quote it as a fact.

Offline Everdying

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »

I used the word "myth" is because I don't see any documentation from Omega claiming the purpose of Red & Blue dot hence it is not official and I don't dare to quote it as a fact.

just cos something isnt found online, doesnt mean it doesnt exist :P
i've had an omega serviced before thru swatch group, and it came back with a blue dot.