Author Topic: My watch family - Omega family  (Read 12972 times)

Offline ab7882

My watch family - Omega family
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:51:44 PM »
I would like to share my watch collection by introducing them by family. I will start with my Omega family. I have a soft spot for Omega watches as they were the ones which started me down the rabbithole which I have not recovered from.

It started with this..

...I was looking for a nice watch which I can wear to office daily and does not look too formal. I was attracted to the grey teak dial- it is mesmerising to look at and changes color from light to dark grey as the viewing angle changes.

After a while, I wanted to have a a casual sporty watch which I can wear with jeans.  A friend introduced me to a website which offers a good discount to the ADs. And I ended up with this..

..Planet Ocean 2500. I figured I could always use the watch for my diving trips (but so far it has not been in any seawater yet!). I quite like the design- I think it is one of the best dive watch design around.

I started to read up more on watches generally and specifically the history of Omega and found out their great connection with the space program. I was looking for a watch with a moonphase- saw the Speedmaster Moonphase but was not too keen to see the moon being bisected by the second hand of the chrono.  However, I was attracted to the design and history of the Speedmaster and ended up with this...

the original Speedmaster with hesalite. This watch wears very well- good size, with the right weight and classic hesalite dome. I have since replaced the bracelet with the brown leather strap which gives it a bit more casual look.

Blue has always been a favourite color of mine and I want to have a blue dialed watch.  After looking around at the options available for a blue dialed watch, I picked this up...

..DeVille Hour Vision Orbis. The shimmering blue dial never stops to fascinate me. Of course, knowing that I helped to contribute to the operations of Orbis and the flying eye hospital warms the heart also.

A few months after the release of the Speedmaster Racing, I dropped by the AD and saw this..

I wanted to have the yellow one but the AD has no stock of it.  Also saw the red and blue ones but decided that the "panda" version will wear the best over the long term.

At the end of last year, one of the ADs have a year end sale and I came across this...

The price after discount is too good to resist. Plus it is a special edition of the Speedmaster Alaska Project and comes with the nifty red casing and long white strap.

That is how i end up with my family of Omega so far..

..and I am pretty sure new family members will be joining (the new ceramic Speedmaster, the Darkside of the Moon, is awesome!)

I will continue with my other families in my collection in the upcoming instalments.

Offline sean

Re: My watch family - Omega family
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:23:59 PM »
Nice omega collection  :thumbsup:

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »
impressive

Offline kenixck

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:31:43 AM »
time to add some gold perhaps ?

Offline ab7882

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:32:37 AM »
Thanks for reading. I am not really into gold watches. So far only own one white gold piece from another manufacturer. I gather I can have 3 or 4 SS watches with good history and movement for the price of 1 gold watch. Of course gold watches from PP or ALS are at another level!

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 06:43:09 AM »
Woah... hardcore Omega fan we have here.
Thanks for sharing.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 06:49:14 AM »
I see a few serious Omega collectors in mwf..

Can't wait to see your other families...
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 07:44:31 AM »
This is a very impressive collection.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 07:59:23 AM »
Very nice collection. Thank you for sharing. I have to agree with you that the omega dark side of the moon is striking. I too will want to go for one once it reaches our shores.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline JPSP

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »
wow it's stunning...i would have gone for the red racing instead of panda...just for the sake of having a variety

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 07:45:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing..not many people have such extensive range of Omegas ..eye opening indeed...
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline sm

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 06:59:11 AM »
Wear it in good health & wealth

Sm

Offline junlim

• Watches Bringing Life
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 07:02:37 AM »
Mind me to call you Omega King? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »
nice collection u have there

Offline jas1409

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
nice watches u have there , btw i love your watch case . Where can i get it from?

Offline wei2011

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 02:37:51 PM »
My dreams watch..wish to get it..

Offline ab7882

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 09:04:42 PM »
nice watches u have there , btw i love your watch case . Where can i get it from?
Thanks. PM sent.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »
You must have a hard time rotating your Omegas. Mind sharing which model is your favorite wear?

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline ab7882

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 12:00:54 PM »
David, the Omegas have quite a bit of competition for wrist time with my other watches. I tend to wear the Racing and PO more often on weekends.  The more dressy AT and Orbis do get some wrist time during the work week days. I do a daily rotation of the watches.

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 09:25:46 PM »
Nice Omegas there! :thumbsup:

Yah, perhaps time to get a bigger box and add some colour to it. Plenty of choices... just the speedmaster range also spoilt for choices.

Any vintages?
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline cspoh001

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 10:13:52 PM »
Wow fantastic baby :Dancing_banana:. I thought I was crazy when I bought two breitling. But after looking at your collection "you are the man bro" :thumbsup:

Offline sh@iful

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 10:13:03 AM »
Very nice Omegas collection and thanks for sharing!

Offline watchonline

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 12:17:57 PM »
Very nice watch display box

Offline sjh314

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
ur collection is more than james bond bro :thumbsup:

Offline watchonline

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 07:59:10 PM »