Author Topic: Custom shoes  (Read 33375 times)

Offline takashi78

Custom shoes
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:39:43 AM »
So who here has custom shoes made to fit?
Always wanted a pair and dont know where to start.

Maybe i havent been looking hard enough but i dont recall anyone said there is any in the Klang Valley area?

Roughly how much are we looking at minimum?

Come on show off your shoes ;D

Offline lanatir

Re: Custom shoes
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:04:49 AM »
u're opening a whole can of worms...

fyi local custom shoe makers can be found in pertama complex or perhaps even kulitkraf will take up your order. also san lee shoes in cheras (google for it). and thomas chan (find in bsc and other branches). but none can match the quality and durability of a nicely made ready to wear english pair of shoes.

Regards
Kelvin

Offline chin

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:29:29 AM »
Good topic, since I have oddly shaped feet (wide but not long) and conventional shoes does not fit properly.

BTW my 1st experience with custom shoes were from Pertama and the shoe did not fit properly, waste of money as it was too tight so only wore like 3 times. 

Offline lanatir

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
actually ready made shoes (Ready To Wear) come in configurations that fit various foot sizes...

1) last shape
2) shoe size (essentially length)
3) width size

the issue with most shoes off the shelf, they are made in some generic last shape and 'estimated' width size fitting most asians with the only variation being the shoe size available to customers.
Regards
Kelvin

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »
Peter

There is one hand-made shoe shop at the summit.
(I bought one and wearing now...very comfortable / real leather)

Not too sure whether they do custom made.

Check it out the next time when you are there.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:58:52 AM »
Great looking pair of monks.

Love leather shoes but not much occasions to wear em. I only wear barogues and wing tips for work. Guess as u grow older, you'll want something that would still look good on a 60 year old.

Great photos as usual  :thumbsup:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline lanatir

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:00:04 AM »
thanks... shoes like these are always contemporary and can easily last beyond a decade if well taken care of and serviced.
Regards
Kelvin

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Btw, what do u use on ur shoes? Looking great and spiffy.

Just got myself some Obernaufs and would try it out on my shoes and bags later

Offline lanatir

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »
those are shot when the shoes are new but my shoes are kept in excellent condition with saphir products, horsehair brushes and shoe trees. of course, i never wear them 2 days in a row and always use a shoe horn.
Regards
Kelvin

Offline acurusaragon

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »
There is one shop at the ground level of Wisma Central besides KLCC and infront of Avenue K .

Just  search for the leather shop on the left as u enter from the main door. (RM300 - 1000 or more depending on design and material)

Nice stuff !

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »
I always wondered whats the reason to never wear them 2 days in a row?

Offline lanatir

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »
I always wondered whats the reason to never wear them 2 days in a row?

gives the leather a chance to breathe, get back into its original shape and also lose some of the trapped moisture from your sweat.
Regards
Kelvin

Offline takashi78

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 12:19:55 PM »
Ahhh.....thanks for explaining it to me.
When i got time over the weekend i'm gonna check out the shops you mentioned.

I've never seen any (frm my limited views on forums) custom made shoes without shoe laces.
Are they available? Or is it not recommended?

Offline lanatir

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »
Ahhh.....thanks for explaining it to me.
When i got time over the weekend i'm gonna check out the shops you mentioned.

I've never seen any (frm my limited views on forums) custom made shoes without shoe laces.
Are they available? Or is it not recommended?

u mean slip ons? anyway, do let us know ur findings. i have yet to be impressed by the locally made shoes (especially considering you pay a premium on custom made). fyi a real custom made, u need a last (a wooden mould) of your feet for them to make the shoes out of. not anyone can/want to do this.
Regards
Kelvin

Offline takashi78

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 12:27:58 PM »
Oh yes slip ons, i'm a lazy bugger hehe.

The mould is to be kept with the shoemaker as a record of your size correct?

I've seen some on the forums but alot cost a brand new Rolex at times, so just wondered today if we have any local shoemakers. I think my max would be rm1k for it, if thats possible.

So Kelvin, did you got your custom made overseas?

Offline lanatir

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »
Oh yes slip ons, i'm a lazy bugger hehe.

The mould is to be kept with the shoemaker as a record of your size correct?

I've seen some on the forums but alot cost a brand new Rolex at times, so just wondered today if we have any local shoemakers. I think my max would be rm1k for it, if thats possible.

So Kelvin, did you got your custom made overseas?

it's a record for the shape of your feet (as mentioned, the shoe is more than just its size).

normally an english made bespoke can be ard RM12k-20k+

some japanese shoemakers can even cost more.

there are some famous ones like vass that can be had for much less.

mine are definitely not bespoke. they are not even customized/made to measure. merely RTW. i am happy that the lasts of the shoes that i have present me with no problems and a very comfortable fit.

if u're lazy, i'm assuming u wont be using a shoe horn and shoe tree... so expect the shoe to condemn fast no matter how much u pay for it (unless u getting crocs).
Regards
Kelvin

Offline takashi78

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »
Actually using both, and my most expensive Bally still going strong after almost 8yrs of on and off wear.

Interesting new topic to learn.

Offline lanatir

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »
Actually using both, and my most expensive Bally still going strong after almost 8yrs of on and off wear.

Interesting new topic to learn.

good lah. is ur bally goodyear welted?
Regards
Kelvin

Offline lanatir

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 12:54:50 PM »
Seriously, Pete, your Bally can last for almost 8 years? :o The Clark's that I'm wearing daily now can only lasted me for 3-4 years only leh. The Airsoles is so comfortable to walk with. So much so that the inner sole lining of the extra pair of Clark's that I bought, stored & never ever wear, ........... has gone rotten! :HammerHead:

a properly made english goodyear welted shoes should be able to last beyond a decade if properly maintained.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1186234/Ones-antique-clothes-How-Prince-Charles-king-wardrobe-recycling.html (Prince Charles' 40 yr old Lobbs).

the clarks that you wear have rubber/plastic made soles that are never as durable as treated leather soles plus they cannot be replaced/serviced. furthermore, i'm assuming they are corrected leather which will peel after a couple of years.

to top if all off, u did mention you're wearing them 'daily' which is a sure way to kill them before their expected lifespan. the extra pair that you have is just left alone without any maintenance?
Regards
Kelvin

Offline takashi78

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 12:57:51 PM »
I think my Bally is more of a loafer type.
Not sure if goodyear welted or not, has a rubber sole though.
The insole though is leather.

Bought it dirt cheap cause the Bally boutique in San Francisco was closing down, i dont wear it much maybe cause it is a little tight, not wide enough.
When the weather is cold its ok, when i brought it back to Malaysia i wear it when i wear shorts.

I dont care for it too much and surprised that it lasted as long as it did. For the past few years i only wear it maybe less than 50 times in a year.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:59:55 PM by takashi78 »

Offline lanatir

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 01:04:42 PM »
I think my Bally is more of a loafer type.
Not sure if goodyear welted or not, has a rubber sole though.
The insole though is leather.

Bought it dirt cheap cause the Bally boutique in San Francisco was closing down, i dont wear it much maybe cause it is a little tight, not wide enough.
When the weather is cold its ok, when i brought it back to Malaysia i wear it when i wear shorts.

I dont care for it too much and surprised that it lasted as long as it did. For the past few years i only wear it maybe less than 50 times in a year.

yes not goodyear welted.
Regards
Kelvin

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 01:29:43 PM »
thanks for sharing the article.....  :thumbsup:

as i grow older i think i would just stick with a few basics so that i can continue to wear 'em when i am 60. although not as bespoke and exclusive as Charlie but still timeless albeit mass market.

so bring on those brogue, wingtips and desert boots  :laugh:

Offline lanatir

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »
thanks for sharing the article.....  :thumbsup:

as i grow older i think i would just stick with a few basics so that i can continue to wear 'em when i am 60. although not as bespoke and exclusive as Charlie but still timeless albeit mass market.

so bring on those brogue, wingtips and desert boots  :laugh:

:thumbsup: just make sure they are goodyear welted and done in uncorrected leather and u'll find years of enjoyment out of your shoes  ;D
Regards
Kelvin

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 01:32:42 PM »
I cant tolerate leather soled leather shoes, .......... not comfortable to walk leh. Hence, never learn to appreciate Bally :laugh:

i on the other hand love leather soled shoes.... and insist on only leather lined shoes too. breathable...is the major concern because i can spend 20 hours straight in a single pair of shoes.

love the feeling of sliding on carpeted floors  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline lanatir

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 01:34:58 PM »
I cant tolerate leather soled leather shoes, .......... not comfortable to walk leh. Hence, never learn to appreciate Bally :laugh:

i on the other hand love leather soled shoes.... and insist on only leather lined shoes too. breathable...is the major concern because i can spend 20 hours straight in a single pair of shoes.

love the feeling of sliding on carpeted floors  :laugh: :laugh:

i too enjoy leather soles very much. once seasoned, they provide sufficient grip and u can line them with rubber soles if u really want. my leather soled shoes are among the most comfortable i have.
Regards
Kelvin