Author Topic: Projek Gangsa MWF  (Read 16283 times)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Projek Gangsa MWF
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:38:50 PM »
After many time of asking, MWF finally decided to go for a project watch like many other big forum!

The small numbers of interested member limiting our possibility... not many watch company willing even to consider our order!
before we talk about price and design!

Big Thank YOU to Vintage VDB :thumbsup: for turning our dream to reality!
Pls visit their store here http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/board,43.0.html

after months of getting the design firm up and bla bla.... mths of waiting....
detail of the process pls read here http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,6540.0.html
and here http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,7302.0.html

Finally all the 15 MWF Project Bronze watches arrived yesterday

external box cover is the white paper box that protecting the inner watch box

the leather watch box is nice, not too big but unique on its own... very well made though  :thumbsup:

all watches from EU come with 2 yrs warranty nowadays.... here the cards, nothing fancy

Before i unveil the watch....another thumbs up to VDB, for th extra sport rubber strap.
this black color isofrane alike strap is 28mm at lugs and 26mm at buckle. It is so soft, i 
believe its gonna be very comfortable.... (i have not try it yet) and the 
black pvd 26mm buckle also given  both the buckle and strap is signed with vdb logo :thumbsup:

heres the very limited 15 pieces of 1st MWF PROJECT WATCH

this is it overall look like from the front... i certainly like it very much.... (yeah, i love VDB way of making raw vintage feel watches).... although may not be every1 cup of tea !

look at this beauty! the 46mm bronze case may look massive.... but it is easy to wear!
the rotatable diver bezel is just cool, especially the big lume on Omin is like glowing all the time n very eye catching to the extend of forming the DNA of VDB watch
brown dial is simple but very matching
and i personally like the hour markers is like 80s rolex way ....
gold color hands are rough... the orange second hand is striking...
the black pvd coated crown on 12 really bring out the design of this watch.... esthetically - but may not good on function, its abit tough to open and close, u need to get use to it!

the beat blasted ' MWF ' wording on the lover case is not what we wanted at first, I am asking for deep engraving actually.... Communicating with some one only speak German do give me problems... Anyway, it's not too bad though!
looks.... its getting patina already... oh boy !!!
a very 1st watch thats bear MWF on its case ! hopefully this is not the last one
the doom sapphire crystal was like plexi in old watches... its reflection actually disturbing my shooting ....

the black pvd case back has all the engraving we asked for
nothing to shout, but its first time that we have MWF website engraved on it

the watch come with a handmade dark tan thick leather strap... matching the watch perfectly ! 28mm on both end
however european size is little too long for most of us! my apology to those who have small wrist that take up the watch
the leather strap is not easy to bend near lugs sometimes, bcoz it is thick!
anyway, hand finish is felt!

i like the black pvd coated buckle, does it look big? its 28mm actually... its well cut and finish

the watch is huge, but it is well curve and with the short lugs design, it is very wearable! believe me!
after a day of wearing, the workhorse eta2824-2movement in it running within 10s... watch is comfort....

vdb is no famous for fine finish dress watch.... watches are flaws, but thats the proof of handmade case?
not all bezel align to 12, dust on hand, scratches on lug side and lug screws, bezel turning not as smooth....
some straps are longer, some darker, some softer,.....

final words.... i m proud of this very first MWF jamtangan projek Gangsa ! this is not the perfect watch....
i even spotted one of it have a different caseback and hands
VDB confirmed thats the first they made, prototype to to call.....
so see later who is the lucky one, anyway, the proto watch gold color engraved case back looks more match the watch!

last photo....

tomorrow i will courier 2 to penang, distribute some this coming saturday, holding 1 for our member in hong kong now
let see these 15 bros can ever catch up again

i LOVE my GANGSO
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:50:50 AM by chrisyen »

Offline JPSP

Re: Projek Gangsa MWF
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:40:53 AM »
congrats on finally getting the watches. Nice!!  :thumbsup:

Offline squasub

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:43:04 AM »
congrats..a very unique watch  :)

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 07:14:35 AM »
Glad to see this project being a success.

Congrates to all owner of these watches.

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
cant wait to get my hands on this watch....

this watch is one hell of a kick-ass beast...... :mooning:
Jacky Wong

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:20 AM »
Great review Chris.
I must say that the Gangso looks fantastic and is well deserving of its unique status as MWF's first project watch.  :thumbsup:

I would like to express our appreciation to the folks who worked hard to make this happen:
i) Chris Yen who invested so much of his own time in coordinating and making this international collaboration a success.
ii) Stephan and gang from VDB for doing such a good job in handcrafting these watches.
iii) Mods who lent a helping hand in this project.

Thanks guys.

And to the proud owners of Gangso, wear these timepieces with pride and in good health.

:Cheers:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:37:30 AM »
Very good initial review and a job well done !

When you have time maybe a pic of the "prototype" hands and the others?

Cant wait for this Sat !

Offline Dickson Lim

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Splendid initial review Chris.  :thumbsup:
Must really thanks all of the 15 participants, especially Chris and other moderators. Yes, Chris, you deserved a big credit!     :Cheers:
Can't wait the parcel to arrive at my place these 2 days (I'm sure CK is waiting like a kid also).   :)

Lastly, would like to congrats Woon to be the lucky person that get the first made watch.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:15:28 AM by Dickson Lim »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 02:20:13 PM »
My son lucky picked 4 watches for me this morning!

Just now at mail box exe pavilion during lunch time, Khiamat chosen 1 from the 4 watches...

He so lucky, got the first made mwf watch.

Peter - not so noticeable for hands color different actually

U can spot the different ! When I look closely just now, can tell Khiamat watch got more patina ... Slightly darker now!

Offline kenixck

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »
Splendid initial review Chris.  :thumbsup:
Must really thanks all of the 15 participants, especially Chris and other moderators. Yes, Chris, you deserved a big credit!     :Cheers:
Can't wait the parcel to arrive at my place these 2 days (I'm sure CK is waiting like a kid also).   :)

Lastly, would like to congrats Woon to be the lucky person that get the first made watch.  :laugh:

there is high chance that Penang will get their hands on theirs before central does.  :Cheers:

Offline kenixck

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 02:34:59 PM »

Chris, possible to bring some of your tools to help me punch hole/some holes, i think my wrist is also quite small, i think i usually have a high chance on getting the longer straps.

thanks !  :thumbsup:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »

Chris, possible to bring some of your tools to help me punch hole/some holes, i think my wrist is also quite small, i think i usually have a high chance on getting the longer straps.

Ok

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 07:55:29 PM »
Great review and great work Chris.

Offline sm

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
Great work.
_____15?(to fill in by you guys)

Wear it in good health & wealth

Warmest,
Sm

Offline takashi78

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »

Ken ur wrist gemuk la haha

Offline musclehedz

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 06:28:10 AM »
Awesome watch guys!! :-) Congrats to the 15 owners!!

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 08:18:26 AM »
After 3 days... The watch still run within the minute

I hv no luck, mine bezel many hv many light swirls line actually...
Some like spots stain between 10-11
Some like straight scratches from 4 - 7

I wish the patina will camouflage this after some
Times

Comparing with the proto with Khiamat...
His mwf watch appear darker now...

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 09:55:24 AM »

Just now at mail box exe pavilion during lunch time, Khiamat chosen 1 from the 4 watches...

U can spot the different ! When I look closely just now, can tell Khiamat watch got more patina ... Slightly darker now!

Erm, just curious, is patina on a watch a good thing? If not mistaken, patina is a form of oxidization, & if something oxidized, usually means polishing required. sorry if I asked a silly question.
Or is it something similar to chinese clay teapot? the darker the better?  ???

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 02:27:15 PM »
Congratz guys  :)

Offline grifterfmj

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »
nice! how much did they cost?

Offline 7thfort

• Yeehah
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 07:14:47 PM »
initially an idea, then a dream and now a reality. Congrats to all proud owners.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 01:53:18 PM »

Erm, just curious, is patina on a watch a good thing? If not mistaken, patina is a form of oxidization, & if something oxidized, usually means polishing required. sorry if I asked a silly question.
Or is it something similar to chinese clay teapot? the darker the better?  ???

Y is gold so expensive? Because it never oxidise! Hence jewellery and watches all put gold!
Either full gold, rolled gold, filled gold... Later we have plated gold...

Patina never a good thing in the old days... That's y watches in gold or silver, brass parts been to be plated as well...

But time change, human taste change... Fashion change...
Now ppl is talking about character... So setting different from others, uniqueness, DNA, even sign of use, history, story....
So patina no longer a bad thing in this sophisticated world ...

I was thinking y r u asking? u cant accept patina on UR watch like others? Or u don't understand the world?

Offline Dickson Lim

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »
Guys, here are some quick and dirty iPhone pictures.

On my wrist today,

And yesterday while meeting with CK!

Enjoy!  :Cheers:

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
Y is gold so expensive? Because it never oxidise! Hence jewellery and watches all put gold!

Patina never a good thing in the old days... That's y watches in gold or silver, brass parts been to be plated as well...

Now ppl is talking about character... So setting different from others, uniqueness, DNA, even sign of use, history, story....

I was thinking y r u asking? u cant accept patina on UR watch like others? Or u don't understand the world?

Thank you for the explaination.

Well, maybe I didn't phrase my post earlier properly, I apologize. I don't mean to be offensive against patina, nor reject patina. My thought is simply that valuable things are usually kept as pristine as possible (like washing and polishing car to maintain it looking as new as possible). Thats just my idea, and I'm relatively new to the realm of serious watches, so learning from every opportunity and updating assumptions. And my purpose to ask this question is just to verify the "current idea" regarding patina.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »

Thank you for the explaination.

Well, maybe I didn't phrase my post earlier properly, I apologize. I don't mean to be offensive against patina, nor reject patina. My thought is simply that valuable things are usually kept as pristine as possible (like washing and polishing car to maintain it looking as new as possible). Thats just my idea, and I'm relatively new to the realm of serious watches, so learning from every opportunity and updating assumptions. And my purpose to ask this question is just to verify the "current idea" regarding patina.

i might sound too serious in my previous post too.... my apology!

anyway, back to your questions.... i will say when come to watches... some will want its watch to bling, hence they send it for polishing every yr!
some r not, especially serious collector! everytime of polishing, meaning your watch is loosing its metal.... for softer metal like those old rolexes, u may find some the lugs are left thin and sharp after many times of polishing...