Author Topic: My Experience with a Zenith Captain Central Second  (Read 21305 times)

Offline amir1218

My Experience with a Zenith Captain Central Second
« on: December 04, 2013, 01:34:27 PM »
I recently purchased a Zenith Captain Central Second and thought of putting up a short review of the watch and the experience I’ve had with it so far.

I wanted a dress watch with a leather strap. A simple watch with a date complication. After browsing at different watches it came down to either a Baume & Mercier Clifton or the Zenith Captain central second.
After weeks & months of procrastinating and trying out the watches in different stores and even in a different country, I got the Zenith Captain central second. There were a few choices of dials, Black, silver & brown. In the end I got the black dial watch with silver indexes.

Please mind the photos as they were taken with an iphone.

Watch design
This watch comes in a stainless steel case, with brushed and polished finishes. The case measures 40mm. Sits very nicely on the wrist.
The watch dial colour is black sunray. You can only see the sunray effect when its exposed to sunlight.
The indexes and hands are faceted, which gives it a very nice finish.

The central second hand has a red tip which adds a nice contrast to the watch design.

This watch comes with a leather strap with a protective rubber lining. This lining really helps in our hot weather as the sweat from my arm wont affect the leather strap too much. The strap originally came with a pin buckle. But I decided to change to the folding clasp. Hopefully by using the folding clasp, the leather strap would last longer.

One of the things I like about this watch is its thinness. Not as thin as a higher end watch, but for the price I paid, its a pretty good deal. The case thickness is 8.15mm

Movement
This watch is powered by a Zenith Elite 670 movement. This movement was completely designed using CAD (computer aided design) and won the best new movement in 2004 (If I'm not mistaken)

The technical specs on the watch state a power reserve of 50 hours.

The decoration on the movement is nice which can be viewed through the sapphire glass case back.

Experience
When purchasing the watch in the store, the sales guy wound the watch manually for me. A few turns on the crown and I put it on straight away. About 40 minutes later, the watch stops. Oh-oh something is not right. I manually windthe watch some more and the watch starts ticking again. After 30 minutes or so the watch stops again. I decide to try and charge the spring in the movement by moving my hands (auto winding).. the watch starts going again, but after 30 or so minutes, it stops again.

I give up and decide to bring it to the LVMH watch service centre in Kuala Lumpur.

The next day I send the watch in for a check. The customer service representative at the counter was shocked to see the date on the warranty card.. Purchased yesterday and already there’s a problem.
They take my watch to check and a few minutes later tell me that it needs a minor adjustment. About 20 minutes later my watch is returned and seems to be working fine. I asked them what was wrong and all they said was they had to adjust something in the movement..

After wearing the watch on my wrist everyday for 5 straight days, I decide to let it rest to check on the power reserve, What I found was that the power reserve was only 26 hours or so.

I decide to repeat the same thing the following week. When I put the watch to rest, the power reserve was still at 26 hours.

So this time I decide to contact Zenith through their website. I explained the situation with the low power reserve after purchasing the watch and after sending it in to the service centre.

A few days later, a representative from LVMH Singapore replied my email. She said that its normal for my watch to behave the way it does and that a representative from Malaysia will call me to explain things. 1 week goes by and still no phone call. Finally 2 weeks later someone from LVMH Malaysia calls me and says that they need to re-look at the watch again. So I said no problem I’ll send in the watch to the service centre when I’m free.

A few days later, I manage to send in the watch, the customer care Exec who contacted me was on hand to explain to me about my watch. He said there could be 2 problems with the watch that is causing the low power reserve:-
1.   The hour, minutes & second hands could be touching. The clearance between these 3 hands is very small due to the slim case design and therefore the possibility of these hands touching each other could happen. When this happens the movement loses its power reserve faster due to the increased power required to overcome this friction (of touching hands)
2.   The rotor could be sticky and is not charging the spring adequately.
So they take in my watch again. Apologies were given along with a complementary Zenith branded pen. The pen is nice and comes in a nice presentation box.

1 week later when I was nearby the service centre, I decide to call them and check whether my watch is ready for collection. The customer rep checks and says the watch is ready.
After lunch I proceed to the centre and confusion occurs, the customer rep checks at the back office and says that my watch has been serviced but they are still monitoring it to check the power reserve. They need another week to monitor the watch.
However, she says that I can take back the watch now if I am unable to return next week.
I decide to take the watch back since I miss having this watch on my wrist. Its still under warranty and I can always bring it back in if they are any problems, which I hope there isn’t.
I asked her what was wrong with the watch, and she replied there was a low power reserve and it has been serviced.
I ask her again what exactly was the problem and that if she could check with her technician. She goes to the back office and returns and says there is a dent on the case and this might have compromised the movement. They serviced the movement and it should be working fine now. They’re not very helpful when you want to know more bout the technical aspects of what went wrong with your watch.

What I noticed after the service was that the rotor moves more freely compared to before the service.

I wore the watch daily for about 3 days and let it rest after. When I let it rest crown up the power reserve lasted for about 33 hours.

I told myself I’ll repeat this next week, this time wearing the watch for 5 days daily. When I let it rest with the crown facing down, the power reserve lasted for 27 hours.

After 2 weeks of tests, the power reserve is still very much below the stated specifications. Guess the service done by the watch service centre did not manage to fix the problem. I’m still undecided on whether to send the watch back to the service centre. But somehow I’m not disheartened by the low power reserve. Guess I like the watch that much!

Thanks for reading.
p.s. What would you do if you were in my situation? Send the watch back for service or live with the low power reserve.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: My Experience with a Zenith Captain Central Second
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 01:41:08 PM »
Nice watch but sorry to hear about the PR problem.
What's the spec PR anyway?
I'll definitely bring it back to LVMH and demand them to rectify it or replaced another new watch for me.

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 02:27:59 PM »
Did you test the watch by winding it up manually?

Give it a good 30 turn before you wear it. Then by the end of the day let the watch rest and check the power reserve.

A)
If is still short then it could the movement having some kind stacking issue, the gears might be stuck of the hand might be touching or the barrel is faulty.

I would demand for a new watch as these issues takes forever to repair. Since it is a new purchase I would want a replacement.

B) If it turn out to be ok then the problem lies in the auto winding mechanism. I would tell LVMH to change the whole mechanism for me.

Hope this help.

Best
T

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »
Congrats on a beautiful watch.
It has a lovely decorative back,plus the uncluttered dial makes it look classy.

But you experience with the AD is regretful.
They are supposed to fix the problem the first time,but it seem that you have to go to and fro a few time and still the problem is unsolved.
I was in a situation like this before.
You have to demand very sternly a replacement watch especially if you just bought a few days.
And with the explanation given by the AD; hr,sec,min hands touching,rotor sticky,small dent in case makes it all the more certain that you should asked for a new replacement.
If this time the watch is still unsatisfactory,demand for a new one no if and buts about it.(that's what I would do).

Sorry again to hear about your predicament.hope you solved it soon.

Offline davidtth

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »
pretty unacceptable from a brand new watch especially when you pay so much on the watch, i'd very mad if i'd send in the watch and the watch still giving problem, taking the account of the effort running around.

perhaps you should ask for some compensation such as pro-long your watch warranty or get ex-change another same watch in newer batch

hope you get your watch fixed up soon

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
First off, congratulations on a great looking watch! This made into my short list at one point, before I got distracted to something else. I can totally relate to your problem as I too had problems with a new purchase and had to live without it for months almost as soon as I bought it. Eventually, it was worth the wait. Better late than living with a faulty product.

Secondly, I'd go with Godzillaz advice on the methods. I have other brands of 46hrs watch (manual winding) and they end up lasting more than the stipulated hours, and a top quality brand such as Zenith should not be any less. It may appear minor now, but smaller problems may lead to more complicated issues in the movement that'll cost more and longer period to solve in the future.

Hope it will all work out well and wear it in good health!

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »

I also support Godzillaz suggestion. A new watch from an AD should not give so many issues. The answers from the service centre are less than acceptable and I would ask for a swap. Is the QA/QC for Zenith that bad or was the item mishandled by the AD before you purchased it?

Offline TheWatchMan

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 07:37:04 PM »
Insist on them fixing the issue either sending back to Swiss watchmaker to troubleshoot or replacement.

Offline amir1218

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:36:40 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments.
After thinking about it the whole night and considering the comments,
I decided to send the watch back to LVMH. As usual all they said was that they will check the watch and get back to me.
I told them the last service which was 2 weeks ago didn't fix the problem. And all they said was they'll get back to me.

I hope the problem will be fixed but I'm not sure how long they will take.

Offline amir1218

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »

I also support Godzillaz suggestion. A new watch from an AD should not give so many issues. The answers from the service centre are less than acceptable and I would ask for a swap. Is the QA/QC for Zenith that bad or was the item mishandled by the AD before you purchased it?

Hi dpkong,

I'm not sure about Zenith's QA/QC levels as this is my first Zenith.
The item could have been mishandled by the AD but we wont know for sure.
Lets wait and see what LVMH say about the watch.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »

Hi dpkong,

I'm not sure about Zenith's QA/QC levels as this is my first Zenith.
The item could have been mishandled by the AD but we wont know for sure.
Lets wait and see what LVMH say about the watch.

Whether the issue was a QA/QC issue or the AD mishandling it before the sale is out of your hands and really shouldn't be your concern. What is most disappointing is the level of service at LVMH service centre. I would sit down and write a very detailed letter to Zenith directly, outlining all details from the day of purchase until today. Zenith should make it right for you and if they don't, please let us know. I have been eyeing a few Zenith models but definitely won't commit if LVMH service level does not improve. I'm pretty sure LVMH will try to pin the fault on you saying you dropped it or something... remember the dent on the case?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:21:36 PM by dpkong »

Offline shuriken

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »
My Zenith experienced PR issue too and it was brand new. I had to bring to back to LVMH and they said it may have to send back to Switzerland to repair. However, after some confirmation it was repaired locally and its working fine.

I think you should send it back to LVMH and make some demands, either replace a new one or have it send back to Switzerland to repair it since locally they cannot rectify the problem.

I would also write to Zenith stating the current situation...

good luck!

Offline skyliner23

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 06:46:45 AM »
I recently purchased a Zenith Captain Central Second and thought of putting up a short review of the watch and the experience I’ve had with it so far.

I wanted a dress watch with a leather strap. A simple watch with a date complication. After browsing at different watches it came down to either a Baume & Mercier Clifton or the Zenith Captain central second.
After weeks & months of procrastinating and trying out the watches in different stores and even in a different country, I got the Zenith Captain central second. There were a few choices of dials, Black, silver & brown. In the end I got the black dial watch with silver indexes.

Please mind the photos as they were taken with an iphone.

Watch design
This watch comes in a stainless steel case, with brushed and polished finishes. The case measures 40mm. Sits very nicely on the wrist.
The watch dial colour is black sunray. You can only see the sunray effect when its exposed to sunlight.
The indexes and hands are faceted, which gives it a very nice finish.

The central second hand has a red tip which adds a nice contrast to the watch design.

This watch comes with a leather strap with a protective rubber lining. This lining really helps in our hot weather as the sweat from my arm wont affect the leather strap too much. The strap originally came with a pin buckle. But I decided to change to the folding clasp. Hopefully by using the folding clasp, the leather strap would last longer.

One of the things I like about this watch is its thinness. Not as thin as a higher end watch, but for the price I paid, its a pretty good deal. The case thickness is 8.15mm

Movement
This watch is powered by a Zenith Elite 670 movement. This movement was completely designed using CAD (computer aided design) and won the best new movement in 2004 (If I'm not mistaken)

The technical specs on the watch state a power reserve of 50 hours.

The decoration on the movement is nice which can be viewed through the sapphire glass case back.

Experience
When purchasing the watch in the store, the sales guy wound the watch manually for me. A few turns on the crown and I put it on straight away. About 40 minutes later, the watch stops. Oh-oh something is not right. I manually windthe watch some more and the watch starts ticking again. After 30 minutes or so the watch stops again. I decide to try and charge the spring in the movement by moving my hands (auto winding).. the watch starts going again, but after 30 or so minutes, it stops again.

I give up and decide to bring it to the LVMH watch service centre in Kuala Lumpur.

The next day I send the watch in for a check. The customer service representative at the counter was shocked to see the date on the warranty card.. Purchased yesterday and already there’s a problem.
They take my watch to check and a few minutes later tell me that it needs a minor adjustment. About 20 minutes later my watch is returned and seems to be working fine. I asked them what was wrong and all they said was they had to adjust something in the movement..

After wearing the watch on my wrist everyday for 5 straight days, I decide to let it rest to check on the power reserve, What I found was that the power reserve was only 26 hours or so.

I decide to repeat the same thing the following week. When I put the watch to rest, the power reserve was still at 26 hours.

So this time I decide to contact Zenith through their website. I explained the situation with the low power reserve after purchasing the watch and after sending it in to the service centre.

A few days later, a representative from LVMH Singapore replied my email. She said that its normal for my watch to behave the way it does and that a representative from Malaysia will call me to explain things. 1 week goes by and still no phone call. Finally 2 weeks later someone from LVMH Malaysia calls me and says that they need to re-look at the watch again. So I said no problem I’ll send in the watch to the service centre when I’m free.

A few days later, I manage to send in the watch, the customer care Exec who contacted me was on hand to explain to me about my watch. He said there could be 2 problems with the watch that is causing the low power reserve:-
1.   The hour, minutes & second hands could be touching. The clearance between these 3 hands is very small due to the slim case design and therefore the possibility of these hands touching each other could happen. When this happens the movement loses its power reserve faster due to the increased power required to overcome this friction (of touching hands)
2.   The rotor could be sticky and is not charging the spring adequately.
So they take in my watch again. Apologies were given along with a complementary Zenith branded pen. The pen is nice and comes in a nice presentation box.

1 week later when I was nearby the service centre, I decide to call them and check whether my watch is ready for collection. The customer rep checks and says the watch is ready.
After lunch I proceed to the centre and confusion occurs, the customer rep checks at the back office and says that my watch has been serviced but they are still monitoring it to check the power reserve. They need another week to monitor the watch.
However, she says that I can take back the watch now if I am unable to return next week.
I decide to take the watch back since I miss having this watch on my wrist. Its still under warranty and I can always bring it back in if they are any problems, which I hope there isn’t.
I asked her what was wrong with the watch, and she replied there was a low power reserve and it has been serviced.
I ask her again what exactly was the problem and that if she could check with her technician. She goes to the back office and returns and says there is a dent on the case and this might have compromised the movement. They serviced the movement and it should be working fine now. They’re not very helpful when you want to know more bout the technical aspects of what went wrong with your watch.

What I noticed after the service was that the rotor moves more freely compared to before the service.

I wore the watch daily for about 3 days and let it rest after. When I let it rest crown up the power reserve lasted for about 33 hours.

I told myself I’ll repeat this next week, this time wearing the watch for 5 days daily. When I let it rest with the crown facing down, the power reserve lasted for 27 hours.

After 2 weeks of tests, the power reserve is still very much below the stated specifications. Guess the service done by the watch service centre did not manage to fix the problem. I’m still undecided on whether to send the watch back to the service centre. But somehow I’m not disheartened by the low power reserve. Guess I like the watch that much!

Thanks for reading.
p.s. What would you do if you were in my situation? Send the watch back for service or live with the low power reserve.

Bro, send it back and demand a brand new piece....it's not free , u pay it with your hard earned cash....and moreover with all the time spent to go down ..if I were u, I might probably burned the entire service centre down.. :Mad:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »
I agree that you should raise a ruckus at the service centre or at the place that you bought it.
Gotta make your frustrations known.
Zenith is my favourite brand but some things are just inexcusable.
Write to them thru their website. They will forward it to the relevant departments.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 08:07:35 AM »
Any update from the TS?
Curious to find out how is Zenith's after sales service.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline notmanic

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 02:26:39 PM »
like hanz, i am also curious of the zenith's SCs now. and Amir, understand your predicament and feel your pain but don't let this first world problem get you down. trust that they will fix it and you will get your watch back in pristine condition!

and to reassure you that you made the right choice, well almost! read on below:
http://uk.askmen.com/fashion/watch/the-coolest-watch-of-2013.html

:Cheers:

Offline amir1218

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »
I followed some of your advice (Han & dpkong) and wrote a long winded email to zenith.
I listed what exactly happened and so on. This was after I sent my watch into the service centre here in KL.

Complained about their quality and so on.

About 2 weeks later I get a reply from Zenith's customer service in Switzerland.
All that was said is that they have contacted Malaysia about this issue and said that LVMH Malaysia is handling the issue and said they will contact me.

I wait and no contact. So last Friday I decided to call them up.
The customer rep said that they have repaired the watch and are currently monitoring the watch.

I asked them what exactly was wrong and no details were given as usual.

Service centre's are bloody vague when trying to explain technical issues.

They said the watch should be ready within this week.. Unless what ever they fixed or changed (in the past 3 weeks) didn't solve the low power reserve issue..

I'll update at the end of the week.

From my point of view the LVMH centre here don't seem very competent in dealing with this kind of watch.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 11:12:21 PM »
Granted I do not currently own anything that LVMH has made a profit from but will definitely make my displeasure with LVMH service very well known to salespersons at all ADs during my next watch shopping/hunting rounds. That would be the best "feedback" to the kind of service they are providing.

We can't change who owns the brand but we can make them improve.

Offline amir1218

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 06:22:17 AM »
A week has gone.
Until friday, no call from the LVMH service centre.
So, on friday evening I decide to call them.

The customer rep recognized me and told me that they were just discussing about my watch service.
They said the watch has been repaired and is ready for collection.

But they want to set up a discussion between me and their technician to explain about the watch and repairs done.

Most likely I'll be heading there on Monday once they confirm the time the technician will be ready.

I'm wondering what kind of bull they'll give this time.
I was thinking of asking them for the test results of my watch (power reserve measurement, accuracy measurement.

Would you think that would be too much to ask for?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 10:51:17 AM »

Your expectation of "bull" from them shows the apparent distrust with the service centre. Not surprising given the run-around you've been given till now. It's also possible that HQ has contacted them to resolve this issue with you.

I would let them do all the talking and story-telling before deciding if it is bull. Then ask them for very specific explanations on the causes of the problems and what exactly they have repaired/replaced and how confident they are that the problem is resolved. No more of that "maybe you dented it" or "maybe the .."

And tell them in no uncertain terms (best to put it in writing) that if the watch fails again, then you will expect a completely NEW replacement watch OR full refund. If they are going to offer freebies to placate you, I would decline and tell them enough of that and just get the job done right or replace the movement.

It's about time to put the foot down on this.

Offline amir1218

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »

Your expectation of "bull" from them shows the apparent distrust with the service centre. Not surprising given the run-around you've been given till now. It's also possible that HQ has contacted them to resolve this issue with you.

I would let them do all the talking and story-telling before deciding if it is bull. Then ask them for very specific explanations on the causes of the problems and what exactly they have repaired/replaced and how confident they are that the problem is resolved. No more of that "maybe you dented it" or "maybe the .."

And tell them in no uncertain terms (best to put it in writing) that if the watch fails again, then you will expect a completely NEW replacement watch OR full refund. If they are going to offer freebies to placate you, I would decline and tell them enough of that and just get the job done right or replace the movement.

It's about time to put the foot down on this.

Thanks for the advice dpkong.
Will definitely use it.

Offline amir1218

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 02:20:29 PM »
I just collected my Zenith from the LVMH service centre.
The technician who serviced my watch (on all 3 occasions) was on hand to explain to me regarding the watch.

After 3 weeks or so, they concluded that  there is nothing wrong with the watch.
They tested the watch and took the movement apart and inspected each component and found nothing to be wrong.

I initially complained that the power reserve was low.
After wearing the watch for 5 straight days and putting it down to rest on the weekend. The observed power reserve was between 26 to 30 hours.

I didn't try manually winding the watch and putting it to rest to observe the power reserve.

This low power reserve issue is apparently inherent in the movement design (Elite 670).
The rotor only charges the main spring when it moves in one direction (counter clock wise if I'm not mistaken).
This is why I have never been able to achieve a power reserve of more than 40 hours when automatically winding the watch.

The technician had manually wind the watch, and the observed power reserve was more than 48 hours.

We chatted a bit, and I found out that a  lot of automatic movements with a unidirectional charging rotor suffer from this same issue.
Customers will always bring back their watch and complain that the power reserve is low.

Its not that the power reserve is low, its because the main spring could not be charged to its maximum with the auto rotor movement.

Compared to movements with a bi-directional charging rotor, the rotor movement would ensure that the main spring is always charged.

I complained to him, why couldn't you just tell me this initially, and ask me to manually wind the watch and observe the power reserve. Its LVMH policy to inspect every customer's complaint before explaining to them what the real issue is.

The watch had a low power reserve (30 to 40mins) when I first got the watch.
I asked him what was wrong there, and he told me the hands were misaligned. One of the hands was touching the glass. The friction from the touching caused excessive drain on the power reserve.

After all that, I'm glad some one finally explained to me about the inherent design of the watch and now I understand better.
So next time before I purchase an automatic watch I'll be sure to ask whether the rotor charges the spring in one or both directions!

But its not like manufacturers would declare this.. or maybe not all will.

Please correct me if I got the theory part of the watch movement wrong.

Thanks for reading.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »
Interesting explanation by the tech and if the facts about the movement is true, then maybe you don't move enough when wearing it to fully charge up the movement before putting it down for the night.

As to the hand touching the glass, how is it that it has no effect on the time keeping?

Offline el118

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »
Many modern mechanical watches use unidirectional winding (including patek, JLC etc), it should not be the case for ineffective winding. Pls keep track of the watch again.

Offline amir1218

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 06:40:02 AM »
Many modern mechanical watches use unidirectional winding (including patek, JLC etc), it should not be the case for ineffective winding. Pls keep track of the watch again.

Yes. I'll monitor the watch power reserve.
Last night I manually winded the watch. And I've put it to rest to monitor the power reserve.

Hopefully it will be ok.