Author Topic: Full review of the Glashutte PanoMaticLunar is UP.  (Read 18178 times)

Offline Yikkie

Full review of the Glashutte PanoMaticLunar is UP.
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:48:20 AM »

I will just go ahead and say it...the Glashutte Original Panomaticlunar is a truly spectacular watch.  In fact, the awesomeness of the watch is the driving force behind my inspiration to write a detailed review about it, which is quite a feat considering the fact that I am literally made of lazy bones.

It was love at first sight the very moment I laid eyes on the PML at a boutique in Singapore.  The sales girl (whom is pretty cute) encouraged me to molest the piece and not only was I in love, I was pretty much in lust as well (with the watch).  Cash was almost parted but I wanted to make sure that the feelings were genuine and not fleeting.  I took a cold shower to cool down and with a level head, decided that I should check if the ADs back home could offer me a better deal...and if I could stop lusting over the darn watch.

Fat hopes at that, my lust for the darn watch seems to have grown even deeper with time.  I knew then that my feelings were real!  I hastily made my way to the Glashutte AD in KL, struck a deal with the sales girl and waited impatiently for 3 long weeks for my one true love to arrive and arrive it certainly did.

Without further ado, here is the review of my new beau.
The Dial:

The color of the dial is pretty intriguing as it changes with the lighting. It could appear as white, silver or cream in varying light.  The asymmetric layout that is the hallmark of the Pano collection is extremely pleasing to the eye as it follows the proportions of the Golden Ratio.  The flame blued hour, minute and second hands contrast magnificently against the virginal white guilloche dial. The moonphase complication with silvered moon and stars against a dark blue night sky gives the watch an ethereal quality.  The Big Date complication is exquisitely executed with both discs perfectly aligned on a single plane...negating the need for a split window ala A.Lange. :)

The Case and Strap:

40mm sounds a little small on paper (for my rather meaty wrist) but the watch wears more like a 42mm.  The bezel is made pretty thin, which sets the stage for the dial to shine.  White is also an optically 'enlarging' color. One thing to note is that the watch is quite thick measuring at 12.7mm. This could be a deal breaker for those who prefer a slimmer watch to tuck cozily under their cuffs.  The lugs are nicely beveled and come fitted with a Lousiana Alligator strap with a single fold deployant. The strap is nice enough but nothing really to get excited about (unlike IWC's Santoni straps which are awesome). The deployant buckle is nicely machined and feels extremely solid but it is a little hard to remove as it does not have release pushers.  The winding action of the double G signed crown is buttery smooth.  However, it is a little on the small side, which could be a little fiddly for chubby fingers.   

The Movement:

The PML is fitted with the Glashutte Calibre 90-2, which is an Automatic movement with 42 hours power reserve.  It beats at a modern rate of 28,800vph or 4Hz.  Technicalities aside, the movement is exceptionally beautiful and very well finished for the price of entry.  All the hallmarks of exceptional Saxon watchmaking are incorporated into the calibre. First off, there is the exquisite 3 1/4 plate construction finished with Glashutte ribbing.  The skeletonized rotor with 21ct gold oscillating weight is off centre to enable full view of the magnificent balance wheel and bridges.  The balance is adorned with filigreed gold weighted screws coupled with a duplex swan neck fine adjustment mechanism, which is mirror polished by hand.  The piece de resistance has got to be the hand engraved balance cock.  The engraving is done without the use of pre- stenciled pattern, making every piece unique.  My watch comes with pretty elaborate engravings, which is truly beautiful to behold.  There are many other finishing flourishes such as hand bevelling, perlage and blued screws.  The only thing missing are gold chatons, which I greedily wish were also incorporated into the calibre.

Accuracy:

Something has gotta give right? Wrong...the accuracy of the watch is incredible!  I benchmarked the watch against Sirim time and after 5 days, it was only off by a mere second!  It is quite unbelievable.  I guess the duplex swan neck fine adjustment mechanism is not merely for show!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:35:50 PM by Yikkie »

Offline GMTmaster

A very nice piece. If I were to get a dress watch. It is high on my list.

Nice to hear your story too. Yikkie. Congratulation on owning one.  :Cheers:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Cool... can't wait for a full blown review...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
congrats Yikkie..lovely watch.
too bad the white dial, blued hands  model is not in XL size..

Coincidentally, I'm on the XL grey PML today...
AFAIK there are at least 3 MWF members having the  GO PML

a quick i-phone wrist shot..

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:14:06 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Yikkie

Re: Full review of the Glashutte PanoMaticLunar is UP.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  I have finally finished typing out my first ever watch review.  Hope that it is not too sucky.   :D 

Offline ndtaan

I like the contrasting tone of the grey dial.
Beautiful watch,have a nice day.

Offline el118

Sorry Eric,

I didn't have time to log in yesterday. Missed ur q

IINW, XL is 42 whereas the regular PML is 40.
42 is optimum for me, of coz that's very personal..as with other things..

Hi Jo, what is the diametre of the XL ?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:43:08 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »
The PML XL is at 42mm.  However, it has been discontinued from the current range.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:24:28 AM »
Trying my best not to click on this thread and failing. Great watch and fantastic review. Thanks.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 08:27:14 AM »
Maybe you guys can measure the dial size of the 40 and 42mm?
From pictures, it does look the same with the XL size having more case after the bezel.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 09:39:28 AM »
fuhh........what a watch and a fitting review! thanks!
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline el118

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 05:41:37 PM »
The PML XL is at 42mm.  However, it has been discontinued from the current range.

Thks for info. Very impressive movement,  :thumbsup: but 12.7mm on simple date n moonphase seemed a bit thick.

Offline shahkl2u

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »
Very impressive watch...beautiful...nice looking on dress..wonder how it look with t-shirt and faded jeans...can ngam or not! Any shot

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 10:25:49 PM »
The PML is indeed on the thick side.  The manual winding PanoReserve is slimmer at 11.7mm and might be a better choice for those who prefer slimmer watches.  I would say that the Pano line is a semi-dressy watch and not really suited for formal wear as it might be difficult to slide underneath the cuff.  I personally think that the watch looks great with jeans (or slacks) in combination with either polo t-shirts or casual shirts.  It might even look good with faded jeans but I have not owned a pair since Uni days!

Offline el118

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 04:38:29 AM »
It believe it will look great on jeans or slack, probably better than sub.

The movement shot is mesmerizing.

Offline GMTmaster

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 04:53:34 AM »
It believe it will look great on jeans or slack, probably better than sub.

I felt PML and Sub. belong to two very different categories.

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 10:28:39 AM »
Ooooh GO... one of my first loves PanoMaticDate black on platinum... I will get one... the sexiest dress watch I ever seen...
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »
Just an update on the accuracy...It has been 8 days and it is still running only a sec faster than Sirim reference time.  To think of it, I used to be extremely happy with my Chronometer Omega PO that ran +2s daily!  I am pretty impressed.

Offline BlissandEcstasy

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 03:05:51 AM »
What a gorgeous piece and work of art from GO. Great shot!

Offline grifterfmj

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
absolutely stunning piece, mind to pm damage?  :Cheers:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 05:21:33 PM »
Although I prefer the older interlocking concentric circles, any iteration of the Panolunar is as aptly said; sexy and sweet.

Thanks for sharing
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »
Great review and love those pictures! Orgasmic-ally gorgeous watch!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline davidtth

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
the design of new 40mm model makes the watch looks clean and bigger look compare to my 39mm

congrats and welcome to PML club  :thumbsup:

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 06:36:23 PM »
Beautiful, beautiful watch.... :thumbsup:
Wear it in good health.
And kudos to you for supporting the local economy instead of across the boarder.

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  :Cheers: I am thinking that I might have accidentally bought a Quartz PML as incredibly, it is still running a sec fast after 20 long days!  :o