Author Topic: Franck Muller Cintree Curvex - need advise  (Read 10870 times)

Offline beemaro

• Freshie
Franck Muller Cintree Curvex - need advise
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:06:57 AM »
Hi everyone

Greetings

Need advise/help on my wife's Franck Muller cintree curvex. Just got it new from Sincere Singapore on 29 Dec 2010. Its a self winding watch.

Did not check it untill yesterday when I was curious about how long the watch can operate on each full wind. After yesterday's winding, the watch only operated for 10 hrs 17 min. I thought I have fully wind the watch. Acc to internet and Sincere, manual winding watch suppose to last up to 40 hours on each full wind.

I am monitoring again today. I made sure fully winded it this morning. Am worried about this although watch is still under warranty as I do not prefer it to go into the "operating theatre". Especially for an exclusive name.

Can sifus here pls comment on this. Is this a common problem.

Thanks so much

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: Franck Muller Cintree Curvex - need advise
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:17:09 PM »
if not mistaken, a normal selfwinding FM watch is using ETA 2892-a2 movement...
so the power reserve is around 38-40 hours...
but for a normal person. to fully wind it, u need to wear it for around 8 hours...
some times a watch kept in the safe for long... the oil is 'settled down'
so the accuracy and power reserve is affected...

so just try to wear it for few days.....
ETA is a work horse movement, no need to over worry....

Offline beemaro

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 12:30:23 PM »
Hi Yen,
Thanks for your reply, it relieves me a little now. However can I ask you few things:-

1) what do you mean when you say "but for a normal person. to fully wind it, u need to wear it for around 8 hours..." . Because self winding watch nothing to do with kinetics right? Most important is to fully wind it.

And what do you mean again by "for a normal person, to fully wind it, need to wear for 8 hours.

2) "some times a watch kept in the safe for long... the oil is 'settled down'" - yes since bought in 29 Dec 2009 which is 2 weeks back not really wear to go out. And believe before that its lying in the Sincere showroon all the time. But will it affect the power reserve by so much ?

Appreciate your input pls.

cheers

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 12:51:30 PM »
Hi Yen,
Thanks for your reply, it relieves me a little now. However can I ask you few things:-

1) what do you mean when you say "but for a normal person. to fully wind it, u need to wear it for around 8 hours..." . Because self winding watch nothing to do with kinetics right? Most important is to fully wind it.

And what do you mean again by "for a normal person, to fully wind it, need to wear for 8 hours.

2) "some times a watch kept in the safe for long... the oil is 'settled down'" - yes since bought in 29 Dec 2009 which is 2 weeks back not really wear to go out. And believe before that its lying in the Sincere showroon all the time. But will it affect the power reserve by so much ?

Appreciate your input pls.

cheers

1. selfwinding mean the watch itself is winding = automatic. it has a rotor with weight, it was mounted with ball bearing on the movement, human movement/kinetic causing rotor moving around due to gravity and this pushing set of wheels and hence winding the barrel!
but do not confuse with seiko kinetic technology... seiko kinetic = human movement causing gravity change and hence pushing the set of wheels to charge the electricity like dynamo and store it in a capacitor!

2. when u put your watch at one fixed position, the barrel spring will also lie down to downside due to gravity.... just imagine a spring not been use for a long long time... it is hard right? and parts require oil when oil is not equally spread through... then everything is not smooth....

hope i clear your cloud not creating more clouds for u...

Offline beemaro

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »
Ok Yen

Thanks for the explanation. I will monitor for this week.

Just want to confirm that Rolex Submariner movement is different from FM Cintree rite. Submariner is automatic movements (means need to wear to keep it operating) while for FM is self winding hence need to wind it every 30-40 hours or so.

Cheers

Offline sshark

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »
Ok Yen

Thanks for the explanation. I will monitor for this week.

Just want to confirm that Rolex Submariner movement is different from FM Cintree rite. Submariner is automatic movements (means need to wear to keep it operating) while for FM is self winding hence need to wind it every 30-40 hours or so.

Cheers

Self winding and automatic basically mean the same thing using different words. It means the watch get wind as long as u wear it while u r on the move. The watch won't get wind if u wear it and go to rest / sleep.

seiko kinetic watches work in the same way as automatic watches. Automatic watch wind (charge) the spring barrel while seiko kinetic watches charge the battery like a bicycle dynamo

Offline beemaro

• Freshie
Franck Muller Cintree Curvex - need advise
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 01:43:19 PM »
Hi SShark

Sorry I meant the FM is (Mech. manual winding movt). So its different from automatic/self winding watches right ?

We do not have to wear manual winding movement watches to recharge it (just have to wind the knob every 30-40 hours). But just like Yen said, if not used for long time the oil may get trapped and the power reserve not up to optimal level.

cheers

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »
Hi SShark

Sorry I meant the FM is (Mech. manual winding movt). So its different from automatic/self winding watches right ?

We do not have to wear manual winding movement watches to recharge it (just have to wind the knob every 30-40 hours). But just like Yen said, if not used for long time the oil may get trapped and the power reserve not up to optimal level.

cheers

selfwinding = automatic = wear to wind
manual wind = hand winding = use hand to wind

but some self winding movement also hand wind able depend on its design! common movement eta 2824, 2892... seiko 6r15... all windable!

Offline beemaro

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »
Hi Yen,

Since is manual winding (sorry my bad), is your first statement above to me still applicable ?

That have to wear it often and about 8 hours and about oil not circulating well and causing power reserve to come down ?

Thks

Offline sshark

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »
For a manual winding watch, u hv to hand wind the watch regardless if u wear it or not.

Offline beemaro

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »
Ok thanks

Lets pray the FM can last up to the normal 40 hours. (now its going fine for 8 hours)

Worry is the last thing I want to do for a watch hehehe

Offline takashi78

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 07:49:45 PM »
Wow never knew FM watches uses ETA also.
Have always thought for the price they charge and self proclaim "master of complications" all their watches uses in house movt.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »
Hi Yen,

Since is manual winding (sorry my bad), is your first statement above to me still applicable ?

That have to wear it often and about 8 hours and about oil not circulating well and causing power reserve to come down ?

Thks

if it is manual wind... all u need to do is wind it every day once... after running for few days... it should back to normal!

btw, which frank muller u bought? not all frank muller using hand wind movement....

Offline arki888

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »
the best is to send back to SINCERE and ask for services..... or  ask for replace  a brand new pieces...   ;D AS for FM... you are paying such a high price yet got problem... FOr me i will do that or at least let the sales person know how you feel after you have  a bought a watch can only have power reserve of 10 hrs.

cheers.

bobby

Offline beemaro

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 11:26:47 PM »
Hi Yen,

Thks

if it is manual wind... all u need to do is wind it every day once... after running for few days... it should back to normal!

btw, which frank muller u bought? not all frank muller using hand wind movement....

Ladies cintree curvex for wifey. Its ok now, actually I did not fully wind the watch. Last try can last till 50 hours

Offline beemaro

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »

Thank god its my fault of not fully winding it. When i asked sincere they said bring it in if got problem. Any fault, they will not replace the watch but send into their service centre.

FM is funny warranty only 1 year compared to 2 years for other makes. Bought the watch on impulse for wife. :)

The casablance looks quite nice tho. Modern and cool. Maybe next project however I think FM is not the best if you want durability. It looks so delicate.

the best is to send back to SINCERE and ask for services..... or  ask for replace  a brand new pieces...   ;D AS for FM... you are paying such a high price yet got problem... FOr me i will do that or at least let the sales person know how you feel after you have  a bought a watch can only have power reserve of 10 hrs.

cheers.

bobby

Offline beemaro

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 06:44:15 PM »
The watch actually can operate for 52 hours upon 1 full wind :)