Author Topic: Watch Hunting in Singapore  (Read 3297 times)

Offline David_cheong

Watch Hunting in Singapore
« on: November 11, 2009, 07:08:15 AM »
Went over the causeway the last weekend and put up at the YMCA,
Drop by a couple of AD for fine watches. Zero in the Exp 1 and was told the range from S$6k.

After hard bargain, the price went down to on par with the Malaysian price and together after recovering the tax paid, the price of the Exp 1 comes to approx. RM13.6k.

However, this quote could only be attained only if the purchaser departure point from the airport. If your exit point is by land, then you can kiss your $$ goodbye. There is no facility to redeem your monies  at the custom causeway. Too bad ya.

During the look around, I noticed that the plain looking omega constellation (white dial – old movement) almost non-existence on the display case (no stock) in most AD (about 4 of them along the Orchard) why?....and No Sinn display counter at the HRg (or have I missed it?)

There are many shops selling used / preowned Rolexes at the Lucky Plaza and at the People Park. Checked out with a few of them and found the ongoing price for a common date (15200) takes around S$4.8k with an initial 20 discount rates. I say, no thanks and left.

With conclusion, I think it’s better off to do watch hunting in Malaysia.
What say you?

DC
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Muachee

Re: Watch Hunting in Singapore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:42:12 AM »
Danny,

like all other places in the world, you need "lobang" to get good deal, the depreciation of MYR doesn't made shopping feasible in SGD..

cheerss..

Offline sshark

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 08:14:10 AM »
Agree. In MY, you know ur way and ur dealers. You have built ur rapport with them over time. There are more dealers in secluded places away from the "city" (though the whole Singapore is a city) I dunno if they offer better price but you sure have more options to choose from. For 1, at the moment Daytona is slightly cheaper in SG but with RM fast depreciating, the price will be equal and more $$ in the near future. Again, if u hv a rapport with ur local ADs, u can get a better price for the Daytona.

/lim/

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:09:13 AM »
True, the depreciation of MYR did not make sense doing any purchase in Sg.

Dollar to dollar, food here is a lot viable (cheaper) than in M'sia.

Transportation is punctual and reliable. How I wish.......

DC
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline JPSP

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:10:31 AM »
hey we're all neighbours so we must look out for each other....got lobangs must share share..

anyway insider news (not to be shared amongst singaporeans yet,esp the bros here from SG, because this is still in planning and hush hush...only my fella neighbours have the first hand news), FJ Benjamin will be "lelonging" their timepieces (GP, JR and B&R) at their SG Royal Plaza Ascott from 4-6 Dec...going at 60%-80% disc.. just in case any of you are planning a trip to SG...

any changes..i'll update again....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:14:43 AM by JPSP »

Offline sshark

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 03:06:13 PM »
Not to worry ur secret is "double" safe as far as I am concern. My pocket is exhausted and i won't be in SG on tat week.... or maybe i make myself avail  :laugh:

Seem like ur neighbor pretty resourceful. Is he a watch dealer?

hey we're all neighbours so we must look out for each other....got lobangs must share share..

anyway insider news (not to be shared amongst singaporeans yet,esp the bros here from SG, because this is still in planning and hush hush...only my fella neighbours have the first hand news), FJ Benjamin will be "lelonging" their timepieces (GP, JR and B&R) at their SG Royal Plaza Ascott from 4-6 Dec...going at 60%-80% disc.. just in case any of you are planning a trip to SG...

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
Thank you in advance for the lobangs......please keep us informed.

DC

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:52:31 AM »
Danny,

like all other places in the world, you need "lobang" to get good deal, the depreciation of MYR doesn't made shopping feasible in SGD..

cheerss..

Hi Muachee,
I think you're referring to David in your post and not to me. I agree with you that M'sians are practically getting poorer by the day due solely to currency depreciation. Can't help it as the Govt has been running a budget deficit since the Asian crisis and the national debt has been piling up.
Needless to say hard assets are preferred as a better store of value than any fiat currency.I think watches rank as one of the favourite hard assets for most of us. In times of crisis you'll find that watches are far more liquid and portable than say big bungalows. Buy more watches I say, before the exchange rate deteriorates further.

Just my 2 cents.
 :Cheers:

Offline JPSP

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 01:54:21 PM »
Not to worry ur secret is "double" safe as far as I am concern. My pocket is exhausted and i won't be in SG on tat week.... or maybe i make myself avail  :laugh:

Seem like ur neighbor pretty resourceful. Is he a watch dealer?

no lah...am not a dealer..just that during the course of my work, i get to know some of the brand managers...