Author Topic: Watch servicing?  (Read 4015 times)

Offline MichaelC

Watch servicing?
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:53:58 AM »
My ball watch was sent to distributor for repair yesterday coz the sapphire glass was crack after 1st drop  :Scolding:

The cost to repair the sapphire glass is RM 158.

However, the front desk girl ask me whether should I complete overhaul the watch since I drop the watch. Cost is RM 530 and i agreed. Complete overhaul included change oil, check the movement, change tube if necessary, etc. ( wonder if there any extra charge if tube need to change.)

My question is,
I bought the watch for less than 7 months. Don't you think that the 'complete overhaul' should be under warranty?
The manual book clearly stated that the warranty exclude the glass, bezel and case only.

Offline sshark

Re: Watch servicing?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:12:40 AM »
Sorry to heard the sad news.

It looks to me it is a gray area. Strictly, the way I see it, warranty covers the cost of repair if ur watch doesn't work as it should be within the warranty period. Watches like Rolex, Panerai and IWC, I heard, they will refurbish (polish case and fine tune ur watch calibre which perhaps includes complete overhaul if needed) ur watch for free within the warranty period. I suppose this is up to their discretion.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:13:42 AM »
yeah, should be under warranty right? Replacing a new sapphire glass maybe charged but for a overhaul service under warranty period shouldn't be charged, right?

I thought the warranty include "change oil (if necessary), check the movement, change tube if necessary, etc"?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:16:32 AM by scottchung1128 »

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »
The way i see it is take it back after change the crystal. Then see if the watch is working fine, if not then only bring back on warranty basis.
Might be abit more time consuming.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:09:18 AM »
Takashi - sensitive issue here. Warranty is void due to certain circumstances

Once your watch been 'drop' due to negligence. the AD watch repairer has the right to impose charges on its repair to make the watch good.

Same on car warranty. Once the car has had an accident, we repairers has the right to impose charges (if any) to related parts to make the vehicle good.

Since this particular watch had been exposed to the 'drop', the Ad will record in its history / service record on its replacement of sapphire glass and other related repairs.

DC
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:18:41 AM by David_cheong »
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline MichaelC

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 10:30:17 AM »
My watch is completely functioning after drop...but not sure abt the movement accuracy, might be affected, thus sent for "complete overhaul".

It's just a small drop...dropped it while i sitting on a chair...less than 60cm height i think...

Another question, since Ball stated that 5,000G shock resistance, I wonder how to refine 5,000G...small drop will cause problem?

Surprise that the sapphire glass was cracked for such a small drop...and the 5,000G shock resistance rounded my mind since then...till now

Should I give them a call for clarification? but i guess the answer will like what devid_cheong said... ::)

By the way, it take 2 months for the repair service...

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:48:50 AM »
Davidcheong is right... warranty do not cover if u 'drop' !

if the watch running well, why need to do complete service?

5000g shock resistant is proven since your watch working fine!

small or big drop actually also depend on angle of the watch when it touch down....
different angle will resulting different impact on different part

i dropped my engineer hydrocarbon from table to floor also no crack....
i dropped my sinn u1 from same height.... end up with movement mounting screw broke... and it stuck the rotor.... cant auto wind

PS ....... yesterday i chit chat bought rolex service centre with watchmaker frens...
             pls pm if u want to know more....

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 12:11:24 PM »
All 'drops' are subjective. And we lay man cannot measure the GF / gravity force sustain on the watches.

You can argue with the watch repairer - till the cows comes home and will not arrive at a conclusion on these GF/

For accuracy. a good watch repairer will have the timer machine to 'time' your watch in a few position for results.

If the reading is -4 / +6  on scale, then no repair is needed?

2 cts worth.
DC
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline MichaelC

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »
So my advice is...do not say you drop your watch at the first place :)

I agreed for the complete service after the girl told me that the movement might be affected.

No point to buy a swiss made watch if the movement is unreliable. :)

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 02:40:56 PM »
Hmm..how about this..

1) I drop the watch and send back service, pay extra for the broken glass (since it's not part of the warranty).
2) then ask for a regular service after the glass has been fixed by provide them the warranty card?

Will this work? I mean, in this way, we don't need to pay an extra MYR500 for the service since the watch is still within the warranty period...

Offline MichaelC

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »
I thought of that right after sent it for service, on my way back :(

Didn't think that much after the girl's advices.

By the way, the girl told me that the service need 2 months...if send it for 2 times = 4 months  :o

By the way, the think the 'ball game' will continue if they claimed that the broken glass issue cause the movement defect, etc.

Hmm..should I give them a call for "clarification"?  :HammerHead:

Offline JPSP

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 08:14:08 PM »
doesn't make sense..the SC of my FM watch cracked because it hit another fella's watch at the "correct" angel...the lower part of the crystal cracked and some pieces of the crystal fell into the dial..

when i sent the watch in to replace the SC...FM's service centre told me they'll run a complete check of the watch for free because it's under warranty. i wld think a decent swiss watch brand will honor a complete check FOC.   

can i suggest this? maybe you tell them the same situation like mine and asked them to do a complete check? this way it may be FOC??

cheers

JP

Offline gapper

• allen's posterous
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
just my personal experience, i sent my ball to ball service center via cortina for recalibration. before i send in, i contacted evelyn, representative fr ball. everything done in 2 weeks time. and i paid not a single cent. and i was recently quote rm300+ for the entire case replace, which i think it's cheap.

just wondering, r u sending ur ball to the SC at raja chulan?

Offline MichaelC

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 07:41:27 AM »
I send it to the distributor at Menara Standard Chartered...

JPSP,

My lower part of the crystal cracked coz can't feel anything crack when I touch the crystal...btw, which brand you sent for servicing is FOC?

I your case, it also seems like human error for me...coz what i read from the manual, the warranty only cover manufacturer defect, which I don't know how they define it...

By the way, the ball distributor come with standard servicing package :)

gapper,

Initially I planning to change my bezel due to some minor scratch but the Ball Distributor representative said i have to change entire case and bezel which cost me RM 600+...btw, my model is Engineer Master II Moonphase...

My watch also bought from Cortina, thought they will charge fee whenever you send in for servicing...looks like i'm wrong...